F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Blame goes to Mercedes. Really dropped the ball this season.

To be fair to them, Toto did say earlier in the season that the last couple of regulation changes they nailed and have been nailing their car for the past decade. They were always going to stuff one up.

Turned out to be a pretty disappointing season in the end.

There were only two race winning teams until, Russel in the penultimate race, and Norris was the only driver (once) outside the big three to make a podium.

Add to the Verstappen winning 15 of 22 races.

New regs promised a lot in the first few races but did they really improve things?
Anecdotally there was a bit more close racing/overtaking espec in the midfield but I have no data to back that up.

There's only been 2 close title fights in the last decade so rule changes or not the odds were always slim. Lengthening the calendar is only going to make it less likely, even if RB do come back to the pack a bit.

Think redbull will eventually churn Perez out end of next season, drivers only want to toe the corporate line for so long before they get fed up. Red Bull don't like second drivers becoming too comfortable and Horner and co will turf him, probably why former number 1 drivers leave so quickly when the writing is on the wall.

Daniel put himself in the box seat with nothing worth promoting from AT and just needs to prove he has the pace when he gets in their car.

Think redbull will eventually churn Perez out end of next season, drivers only want to toe the corporate line for so long before they get fed up. Red Bull don't like second drivers becoming too comfortable and Horner and co will turf him, probably why former number 1 drivers leave so quickly when the writing is on the wall.

Daniel put himself in the box seat with nothing worth promoting from AT and just needs to prove he has the pace when he gets in their car.
If DeVries out-drives Tsunoda in the AT, he will be first in line for a vacant seat at RBR.

If DeVries out-drives Tsunoda in the AT, he will be first in line for a vacant seat at RBR.
I think that’ll spell the end of Yuki (I think he’s gone next year anyway tbh unless he completely turns it around) but I don’t necessarily think outperforming Yuki gets NDV a shot at a vacant seat at RB tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that’ll spell the end of Yuki (I think he’s gone next year anyway tbh unless he completely turns it around) but I don’t necessarily think outperforming Yuki gets NDV a shot at a vacant seat at RB tbh
Agree with this. Redbull won't risk history repeating in a Gasly or even Albon like scenario, especially in a period where their car is so far ahead of the competition in terms of development. Better off with the more experienced driver (again - only if Daniel proves the pace is there).

It's an interesting point Thistle brought up about the new regs not really changing anything as a spectacle. New regs were supposed to make the traffic more congested, but it produced the record wins in a season.

But the issue that is never addressed is the mandatory pitstops, which maintains the advantage of the best car. It's why the sprint races are never any good, cos it's just a first stint of a GP. Everyone changes tyres at the same time, the best car maintains its advantage.

It's an interesting point Thistle brought up about the new regs not really changing anything as a spectacle. New regs were supposed to make the traffic more congested, but it produced the record wins in a season.

I would argue that it did make things better. The midfield and back markers for the most part were pretty close together and there was some great racing. Hell, even some races the Merc was hanging with the Ferrari's. The racing would have been even better if there were more tracks with possible overtaking rather than a ridiculous amount of street tracks.

It is really just at the front where it was a RB procession.

My opinion they should bring back refuelling and like in Supercars teams have to use 120 litres in the race.They can use whatever strategy they like.20 litres at the start to get up a few places as an example.
Things need to be mixed up more.

My opinion they should bring back refuelling and like in Supercars teams have to use 120 litres in the race.They can use whatever strategy they like.20 litres at the start to get up a few places as an example.
Things need to be mixed up more.
They should bring back refuelling and v10 engines but they won't because of their commitment to "sustainability", don't mind the fact their major sponsor is the worlds largest oil producer

So (pending signed contract), who's taking a wager that there's a mystery illness that will keep Checo out of a race in 23 allowing DR to interview?

..and I don't mean technically interview. More so from a marketing and building hype perspective.

I genuinely don't believe that DR has made this decision on just a hope, but then again, he's not necessarily known for making the smartest career decisions.

So (pending signed contract), who's taking a wager that there's a mystery illness that will keep Checo out of a race in 23 allowing DR to interview?

..and I don't mean technically interview. More so from a marketing and building hype perspective.

I genuinely don't believe that DR has made this decision on just a hope, but then again, he's not necessarily known for making the smartest career decisions.
Was thinking the other day, as the season gets longer there becomes more of an argument for teams to have an "active" third driver

But from a driver standings perspective it still doesn't make any sense.

I would argue that it did make things better. The midfield and back markers for the most part were pretty close together and there was some great racing. Hell, even some races the Merc was hanging with the Ferrari's. The racing would have been even better if there were more tracks with possible overtaking rather than a ridiculous amount of street tracks.

It is really just at the front where it was a RB procession.
100% I think the racing was better this year. Cars are able to now follow closely for multiple laps (think last 15 laps or so of Canada or the opening race in Bahrain with LEC and Max fighting for half the race) which means any little mistake by the driver in front can be punished, when in previous years a driver would get maybe one or two chances to overtake and then would drop back to create a 2 second gap so their tyres wouldn't get cooked which relieved pressure on the leading driver.

For the first half the year, Ferrari were neck and neck with RBR for the best overall package, but they absolutely bottled their season with their inept pit wall and were never able to recover. If Ferrari were able to make some half decent strategy calls, I don't think you would have seen Max win by such a large margin (albeit I still feel he would have beaten LEC for the WDC as Max clearly took his driving to another level this year)

In saying that, there are definitely things they can do to try and improve the racing further (other than the natural contraction of the field that will happen as more teams come to grips on the new regs and RBR fall back closer to the pack). First thing and easiest thing to address is DRS, they can look at the detection points and also possible shortening some of the DRS Zones since drivers now have multiple chances at an overtake (because they can follow closely) which should make for closer racing.

(Stolen from Reddit) the 2022 Season has featured 997 overtakes. Which makes for an average of 45.3 overtakes per race this season. This is the most since 2016, albeit the average is very similar to 2019 (45.2). More overtake info can be found in the below thread

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back