F1 2023 - The Rise of Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

That's right Martin, Indycar has that exact system you're thinking of. You can also use it to defend from overtakes so you're not a sitting duck down the straight.

Early doors but look like Merc have leapfrogged the Astons. With their car at the start of the season Russell would not have held off Checo, traffic assistance aside

It still seems to me that Red Bull largely have Mercedes covered. The gap is smaller, but it's not small. Unless Mercedes pull out further good upgrades for Canada, expect Max to cruise to victory again there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So McLaren decided to come to this race with downgrades to the car rather than upgrades, interesting strategy this year. I think it’s this bad colour scheme they are using. They need to go back to the straight papaya.
Oscar needs to do the best he can so he can get out of this car ASAP or when a big team hopefully comes calling otherwise he’ll be a wasted talent in a shite car that is set up for Nando.

Wasn't too bad a race I thought, plenty of on track action and lots of pitstops for once. Yuki's penalty irked me, he got a being a non-British driver penalty there., lost 3 places for that. Meanwhile GR63 can take off down the mario kart shortcut any time he likes.

Wasn't too bad a race I thought, plenty of on track action and lots of pitstops for once. Yuki's penalty irked me, he got a being a non-British driver penalty there., lost 3 places for that. Meanwhile GR63 can take off down the mario kart shortcut any time he likes.
That really was a decision I'd have been happy to go either way on Yuki.

Incredible how big a difference 5 seconds can make.

As for the rest, the Mercs looked a lot better, the Aston's found lacking a touch. Then the McLaren's...

Max should just be given the title now. I'd have loved to see what the car was capable of if he had to push. Still think he's only going at about 90% or so.
I actually think he was getting bored hence the black and white flag for track limits.

That really was a decision I'd have been happy to go either way on Yuki.

Incredible how big a difference 5 seconds can make.
I thought it was fair, if taken in isolation. It just looked completely ridiculous, after the farcical Russell non-decision.

I thought the race was quite entertaining, considering Barcelona's reputation for producing boring races. It was certainly nothing like Monaco, where "follow the leader" was the order of the day, or other tracks where DRS trains form and nobody ends up overtaking.

The Mercedes upgrades seem to have worked a treat. They're still behind the Red Bulls, but based on last night's showing, you'd have to say that they're now well ahead of Aston Martin & Ferrari. Mind you, last night was an uncharacteristically bad outcome for Aston Martin.

Having the FIA reward Russell for dive bombing, with no intention of making the corner, was infuriating. Why the FIA has one rule for Mercedes, and one for every other driver/manufacturer, is entirely beyond me.

That's 2 bad results in a row for Perez, both the result of failure to qualify the car in a position commensurate with the car's abilities. If he keeps this up, then the drums might start to beat a little bit louder, with ADR waiting in the wings.

Myself and a few mates who all watched it separately found it the exact opposite - incredibly boring. The pit straight just filtered the faster cars out, and that was about it.

Id take the drama and flags and safety cars of a street circuit any day over last night tbh

I’m just so disappointed, watching Oscar drive around in that absolute s**t tractor of a car when he’s got way more talent than that. I feel the same way for Lando. Watching Oscar overtake Hülkenberg on the outside around that corner just shows how great he can be, and yet he’s stuck in a car that is so bad, that even if you qualify it in the top 10 it ends up well out of the points. That update they’re bringing in silverstone better be a miracle or it’s gonna be a wasted season for Mclaren and their drivers.

I feel the same way but the car being so s**t is a god send for Oscar. He is matching Lando well enough while getting experience under no pressure to perform to a ridiculously high standard because everyone knows how s**t the car is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back