F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Social media related to F1 is just as toxic af.

It's a big part of the reason why people (like you) have this visceral hatred of drivers which just ruins discussions, and then of course rubbish like trying to get a few laughs from filming a driver at a urinal. I don't get how these dudes 'pop up on BF all the time' - never seen it myself.

If you want to call it a 'hissy fit' then idgaf.
I mean you're the only one being toxic right now and decided to go personal because I shared a link from the evil Murdoch machine.
But noted, I will continue to share and discuss relevant Formula 1 related news in this forum as I have done for many years even if you want to continue to personally attack me, idgaf champ :)

You just never know. Cracking a boner over Piastri (and Lawson) could be premature. Where are they going to fit? When you consider Norris and Russell are also supposed to have super wild careers, and then whoever's coming up from F2-3.
Right place right time is about all it comes down to, is someone going to bolt from the blue to dominate the next 5 years post 2026 changes? will red bull just carry on but what if max goes due to the falling out withg horner who gets in there?

If max stays and red bull still leads post 2026 were probably looking at max as a 10x world champion and none of the rest of them getting a shot and this generation misses out to the next one thats yet to be discovered.

Alonso has copped a drive through penalty for Dangerous Driving. It's been converted to a 20 second time penalty and 3 penalty points.

“Telemetry shows that Alonso lifted slightly more than 100m earlier than he ever had going into that corner during the race. He also braked very slightly at a point that he did not usually brake (although the amount of brake was so slight that it was not the main reason for his car slowing) and he downshifted at a point he never usually downshifted. He then upshifted again, and accelerated to the corner before lifting again to make the corner. Alonso explained that while his plan was to slow earlier, he got it slightly wrong and had to take extra steps to get back up to speed

Specifically, in this case, the stewards have not considered the consequences of the crash. Further, the stewards considered that they do not have sufficient information to determine whether Alonso’s manoeuvre was intended to cause Russell problems, or whether as he stated to the stewards that he simply was trying to get a better exit.

Should Alonso have the right to try a different approach to the corner? – yes. Should Alonso be responsible for dirty air, that ultimately caused the incident? – no.
However, did he choose to do something, with whatever intent, that was extraordinary, ie lifting, braking, downshifting and all the other elements of the manoeuvre over 100m earlier than previously, and much greater than was needed to simply slow earlier for the corner? - yes by his own account of the incident he did, and in the opinion of the stewards by doing these things, he drove in a manner that was at very least “potentially dangerous” given the very high speed nature of that point of the track.
This season, the FIA Formula 1 penalty guidelines, including for this breach have been reset and increased to a baseline of a 10s penalty. In addition, when there is some aggravating circumstance, we consider a Drive Through Penalty. In this case we consider that Alonso affirmatively choosing to perform an unusual manoeuvre at this point to be an aggravating circumstance, as opposed to a simple mistake.”

Surely they’ll appeal this? It sets a pretty big precedent if anyone ever crashes because someone ahead does pretty much ANYTHING outside the norm. Lift and coasting an extra 100m early on the second last lap doesn’t sound that drastic

IMG_0198.jpeg

Pinched from reddit, it shows Alonso braking twice. I don’t believe he necessarily brake checked Russell but that first braking people is abnormal and why he got penalised.

Right place right time is about all it comes down to, is someone going to bolt from the blue to dominate the next 5 years post 2026 changes? will red bull just carry on but what if max goes due to the falling out withg horner who gets in there?

If max stays and red bull still leads post 2026 were probably looking at max as a 10x world champion and none of the rest of them getting a shot and this generation misses out to the next one thats yet to be discovered.
I think favouritism as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said he was managing a battery issue, IIRC.

View attachment 1938628

Pinched from reddit, it shows Alonso braking twice. I don’t believe he necessarily brake checked Russell but that first braking people is abnormal and why he got penalised.

This telemetry shows otherwise.

It's a questionable move from a driver with a long history of questionable moves. I do think the penalty is too harsh because it's effectively a variation of the classic 'compromise entry speed to get better exit speed' albeit at an extreme level - but I understand the reasoning behind it. I also doubt it would have been a penalty if Russell hadn't crashed.

As always, I don't mind it as long as it's consistently enforced (good luck with that, future race stewards).

This telemetry shows otherwise.

It's a questionable move from a driver with a long history of questionable moves. I do think the penalty is too harsh because it's effectively a variation of the classic 'compromise entry speed to get better exit speed' albeit at an extreme level - but I understand the reasoning behind it. I also doubt it would have been a penalty if Russell hadn't crashed.

As always, I don't mind it as long as it's consistently enforced (good luck with that, future race stewards).
I reckon they would have bumped it up from a ten second penalty to a twenty second when they realized Stroll was 13 seconds behind anyway.

Hopefully when the tables are ever reversed, Norris plays the team game as well.
PIA also pointed out the fact that they were surprised by PER pace, or the lack there of, they had assumed he would have made his way back through the field rather easily.

norris was never going to catch leclerc. the mcnorris outfit should have let it play out. the arrogant big head said he’d have passed him so let it play out.

Never a good sign when these headlines start appearing, even if there is probably no credible source of truth to them yet.

Not buying it. There are 11 races before the summer break, he incurred a 40-second pit stop in Bahrain and his deleted lap would have put him into Q2.

Not buying it. There are 11 races before the summer break, he incurred a 40-second pit stop in Bahrain and his deleted lap would have put him into Q2.
Yeh the fact that its the NZ Herald makes it probably false at this stage, but its never a good sign of where you are at when these sorts of headlines start appearing. Happened to DeVries last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back