Multiplat F1 23 - launches 16th of June 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocked there wasn't a thread already on this badboy!

F1 23 comes out 16th of June and is the first time EA have played a big part in this one in conjunction with Codemasters.

I personally have never played a F1 game but have taken a solid interest in the F1's since the Drive to Survive series on Netflix, but this game looks very appealing and I think I'll be picking it up at.

This seems to have divided a lot of the existing F1 gamer community but for the first time there is F1 World which is essentially the F1 Version of Ultimate team. Combines solo races / events with online events to unlock better parts for your car to upgrade as well as staff members + sponsors. This mode is what I'm most keen to play to be honest.

I have seen a lot of comments about the lack of talk on the MyTeam career which has been the typical go to mode for career players and there is some speculation this may not feature at all and it could all be rolled into the F1 World mode.

They have also re introduced the Braking Point 2 story line mode which looks nice as well, fighting for your spot in a team essentially. I like that things like press conference responses play a part in how it all plays out.

It is cross platform and will be from the start, I believe cross plat didn't hit F1 22 until a few months after launch.

I have heard a lot about the custom leagues and modes like that to use with racing against friends, I'm keen to learn more about those if anyone has any info or previous experiences to share?

Some videos below as well.

Official trailer:

Gameplay features deep dive:

Braking Point 2 & F1 World deep dive:

Lando Norris driving the Las Vegas track:

Formula 1 games are ******* sick

But I'll wait until it hits gamepass
for the uneducated like myself, are you able to advise how the cross play worked when it came to private lobbies / leagues etc on last years version?

Was it just all connected via the EA accounts that you could invite not matter what platform you're on?

Normally the games are awesome, waited for the last one on game pass but I’m very tempted to pick up this.

I don’t have a wheel set up but contemplating getting one ?

I don't have a wheel (no room for it in my setup) but the game is meant yo be a lot more fun with one.

I got F1 22 last year on a whim - always liked F1 games, even back to the Playstation days.... F1 97!! But my interest in the Codemasters series died off after 2013, after 2010-2013 it just didn't hold my interest.

Reading about 22 I just had to jump back in, from what I played of it (3 world series' plus a few custom championships) it was fun..... but then I got sucked into the rabbit hole of revisiting past F1 games (ran through the career modes of f1 20 and 21 via gamepass lol) haven’t played 22 in ages.

Probably won't get 23 on release, will see what opinions are online first. Online play was also a key reason I got 22..... but I rarely raced online.

Pre ordered the championship edition with early access.

Looks like the my team style of play mode to, I noticed Nigel Mansell is one of the pre order bonuses.

Not to fussed about the breaking point story but might end up giving it a try.

Anyone got any recommendations for a standard wheel set up? Not looking at anything over the top as this will be the majority use , with Cricket and NBA out in the coming months probably won’t have much time to try any other racing games really.

This has become my new Fifa. Buy it, play it for a couple of months, never play it again, tell myself I'm not buying it next season...and then ultimately buying it again.

Better than me. Think I played 22 for all of 1 month. Basically just time trialed when mates were around.

Going to hold out this year and hope that next year includes VR.

Pre ordered the championship edition with early access.

Looks like the my team style of play mode to, I noticed Nigel Mansell is one of the pre order bonuses.

Not to fussed about the breaking point story but might end up giving it a try.

Anyone got any recommendations for a standard wheel set up? Not looking at anything over the top as this will be the majority use , with Cricket and NBA out in the coming months probably won’t have much time to try any other racing games really.

Logi G29 or Thrustmaster T300 are your best bets. I wouldn't waste money on any of the cheaper models, you'll just end up regretting the purchase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Logi G29 or Thrustmaster T300 are your best bets. I wouldn't waste money on any of the cheaper models, you'll just end up regretting the purchase.
ive been looking at the G29 as well.

I want to wait until I have played the game first before getting it though.

Don't get the g29 because you'll eventually break the shifters. I had two and both had the same issue, double shifting or not registering after a while because the mechanism in them to click craps out, seems a well known defect. You'll end up doing stuff like this:

I ended up just getting I think the t248 when it came out as it had magnetic shifters, something like that but basically not gonna end up in the same hell.

Downloaded today and got a Logitech wheel from a mate to try out.

Will have a go when kids are down. Keen as to try a race out with the wheel and have a look at the my team and F1 world

Game is awesome! So smooth!

Created my own team, starting a mid pack challenger signed Nigel Mansell as my co driver, could have got Webber, Button , Schumacher among other legends Schu is most expensive at 10 mil, think I got Nigel for around 3.5m.

Had a brief look at F1 world looks like you do events to unlock points to unlock super cars ( not the Aussie v8 style) and different liveries and outfits etc.

There’s a lot there you can do just in career mode / my team and F1 world.

I’ll have a look at a normal race soon to try out the real cars.

Game is awesome! So smooth!

Created my own team, starting a mid pack challenger signed Nigel Mansell as my co driver, could have got Webber, Button , Schumacher among other legends Schu is most expensive at 10 mil, think I got Nigel for around 3.5m.

Had a brief look at F1 world looks like you do events to unlock points to unlock super cars ( not the Aussie v8 style) and different liveries and outfits etc.

There’s a lot there you can do just in career mode / my team and F1 world.

I’ll have a look at a normal race soon to try out the real cars.

have you tweaked your own car settings at all or just default?

with creating your own team is that with a random custom car or with one of the already established cars?

I can't wait for this to unlock friday!

have you tweaked your own car settings at all or just default?

with creating your own team is that with a random custom car or with one of the already established cars?

I can't wait for this to unlock friday!
F1 World is essentially where you do challenges or events and earn points etc to uphgrade your car with R & D, liveries and clothes etc , it is a bit confusing at first but just to do a single race or a custom GP using the real cars you need to do it through F1 world. You can choose to race with your custom car or a real one in those events but from what I can see if your doing any of a live events for XP you race in your car. The pre order I had you got a Verstappen Red Bull livery and kit to but outside of that they are all custom liveries that you can change colour and sponsors.

I did try this mode briefly , the challenges were very easy and some of them were literally 3 lap races and you don't race against the real F1 drivers you come up against AI that has the names of your friends list much the same way Forza does. I am not sure how much time I will spend in those mode. Pretty sure any XP earned in career mode also goes towards the F1 world.

I did start a career and chose the My Team option, you have the choice to either select to be a current F1 driver and team or you can be an "owner driver" of a custom one. I chose the custom option and again you have the same choice of liveries as the F1 World where you can change colours. The difference in my team is you can set whether you want to start from the bottom , start as a mid tier team or at the top, these options change your budgets and R & D at the start. I chose mid team, you get to sign a co driver. I signed Nigel Mansell they did have Schuey, Webber and others available at different prices. Looking at the finance side of the menus it looks like as the years go on you can sign different drivers whether its free agents or you can try and poach any from other teams which can cost more money if they have to break a contract.

It looks like at the end of seasons there will be driver movement across other teams but I am just making that assumption by going off the menus. You get to select sponsors who set goals for you to reach to get more money coming in and as you race you can earn more $$ through results but also driver options like conferences, social media etc. You then use this money to spend on the R & D side of it for your car so to try and upgrade so you can move up the brackets of performances of vehicles.

There is plenty of data and graphs that show where your car rates performance wise compared to the other teams IE your handling might be better than Red Bull but their power might be above yours. It is a neat little chart that covers all the teams.

I did do some R & D at the start before race 1 but in terms of "tweaking" my car settings I just left it at the default settings and default tyres they chose.

I only did a 5 lap race on medium settings, I am going to change it to the 35% race length as I felt 5 was to short and at 5 they don't have red flags, pit stops etc.

I finished 1st in qualifiers, I didn't bother with practice which defaults at 30 mins. I was cruising for 3 laps in front by a fair bit, it is cool how at the touch of a button or two on the fly you can get real time updates on how they race is panning out, what your team is asking you to do, how far a car is infront of behind you etc. I thought potentially I had the game set to easy as I was doing that well but on lap 4 Hamilton, Russel and Leclerc overtook me and I couldn't catch them back. I managed to hold off Alonso and Bottas who were coming hard after me. Again I need to have another go with longer race settings.

I was a bit shocked to see Sainz and Verstappen finish around 9 and 10, in previous games almost every race I would do Hamilton, Max , Leclerc and Sainz were always in the top 5 so this was indeed refreshing.

I am not sure how other teams go as the seasons go on, not sure whether teams do have a drop in performance and other teams catch up? I have a feeling that is not the case and for most part it is always going to be Ferarri, Red Bull and Mercedes at the top but I hope I am wrong.

It was a short 5 lap race but 3 drivers DNF Hulkenberg, Piastri and Sargeant all crashed. Hulkenberg spun out causing the crash and on the race director menu at the end of race it shows the incident and Hulkenberg was penalised. I did watch the replay and it was a cool little crash.

So I pre ordered this on steam, pre installed it fully anticipating it would be unlocked at midnight last night like most games would being the day of release.

Only to discover at 12:05am that the game doesn't release in Australia on steam until 2pm today..

wtf is with that?

There is zero point / benefit to having done the pre order / pre install when my mates can waltz into JB and pick up their physical copy at 9am and be playing by 10am today.

Bit flat about that.

Should have got on console mate. Cracking game having a lot of fun with it.

Been enjoying this!

But I also get frustrated at myself when playing with mates as I'm no where near as good / quick as them yet.

still roughly 3-4 seconds off the pace and I feel like I'm pushing hard, clearly not enough though!

We did a private lobby last night at Imola, 5 of us and the rest filled with AI.

I had been practicing the track all day and was getting low 1:18 laps which still is 1-2 seconds off a good pace.

Come the actual race we had a night, pouring with rain so all my preparation went out the window.

reckon we had at least 3 safety cars, was mayhem.

1 of my mates for some reason was forced to auto pit every time there was a safety car. So that along with Tyre changes and wing changes, I think he had pitted 4 times in 6 laps, was amazing. :p

Yeah the game is fun and you'll probably be left behind against friends that know the ins and outs of the tracks better than you as they'd have played the game more often. Also yes, you need to practice in all conditions, the rain throws me off and I can never get used to it regardless of how many laps of the tracks that I do (based on F1 22 experiences lol).

I don't take it too seriously - yet I have other people I play with that are super strict, so I've got to watch my racing line and not cause crashes (which are inevitable anyway).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back