F1 Championship 2018 - Round 4 - Azerbaijan

Remove this Banner Ad

Its interesting to see how blame is portioned in many circles when history suggests one has incredible spatial awareness when overtaking others while the other continuously pulls off dangerous moves and collides with others.

Some might argue that RIC shouldn't brake late but this shows two things to me;

1) RIC was in the braking zone when VER cut him off - wasn't giving RIC the room as required by the team
2) VER could arguably also know that RIC will brake late and his way of driving is "if you try and overtake me I will crash into you" or "I'm not going to let you brake late, because there is no way I can brake that late"

...and a bonus third

3) When the shoe was on the other foot and VER came back down the inside RIC gave him room

...and here is a fourth for VER to think about,

4) Given the amount of money and influence the three times FIA Personality Award winning driver, VER, seems to have, he could create an independent F1 race. He could drive around a circuit with some random other people, and these guys start saying stuff on the radio like, "Wow, that was a nice move by VER", and "I enjoy being behind VER, I find the aroma from his exhaust refreshing" and when the cameras have to cut away from VER for a moment all the other drivers exclaim in unison, "I wonder what VER is up to at the moment?"

Max is gonna seriously injure or kill another driver or himself before he ever gets a penalty from the stewards etc. It is ridiculous the amount this guy is excused for and gets away with, getting scott free from trying to kill Kimi in Spa a couple of seasons ago set the precedent that he can do what he likes. His let me through or crash routine or let me stay infront or crash routine is gold plated by f1

Max is gonna seriously injure or kill another driver or himself before he ever gets a penalty from the stewards etc. It is ridiculous the amount this guy is excused for and gets away with, getting scott free from trying to kill Kimi in Spa a couple of seasons ago set the precedent that he can do what he likes. His let me through or crash routine or let me stay infront or crash routine is gold plated by f1

Yep, and your last sentence rings true, that if people do not a) give VER room or b) try to overtake VER and he will crash into them.

Stewards - "Bottas visor was 0.0032 mms thinner than FIA regulations, not leading to any discernible advantage, 5 place grid penalty next race"
Stewards - "VER deliberately swerved into <INSERT RAI, VET, HAM, RIC, BOT> which ruined their chance at collecting points AND may have caused serious injury... racing incident! No further action!"

Probably under instruction by Liberty to let it go, the Americans do love a good crash.

Probably under instruction by Liberty to let it go, the Americans do love a good crash.

It is exactly why he is protected since he begun because they have the belief, old owners and new that Max attracts viewers to the sport so they will do everything they can to ensure he's got no obstacles to having a chance to win a race. It's like LeBron James goal tending and getting away with it when the other 500+ players wouldn't have, comes down to who you are.

Stewards agree with me :p

He was never going to be penalised for it, the problem is he thinks he is Ayrton Senna the way he drives, but he doesn't have the experience and skill.

Like it or not, Max will win a world championship, but the error red bull have made is ADR should be the number one driver their at the moment, could have stayed another 2 years and tried to win a title with Max doing his apprenticeship as his number 2.

Because Max thinks he is number 1, he drives like it and now Dan will leave at the end of the year.

Horner stuffed up big time, he should have told Max to let Dan past and see what he could do because he was the superior driver, because he didn't he forced Dan to go for a very hard overtake, Max being full of himself double moved on his team mate which may be within the rules when not under breaking, but shouldn't be within the team rules, and they both crashed out.

Max has too many of these stuff ups now to think any other way except he is a spoilt brat. Horner is a nice guy, but he needs to start being a boss and not letting Max do what he wants, he didn't call Dan through yesterday because he knows Max will say I am not letting him past and he doesn't have the cohunas to actually discipline him.

Saying the blame was 50/50 was Horners way of getting out of actually having to dicipline his driver. Did the same with Vetal and he spent his first 2 years at Ferari learning how to be a team player.

Max will have the same issues later on.

Last edited:
Considering Ricciardo got involved in the crash and the circumstances Bottas missed out on the win, I actually enjoyed the race. There's a lot of artificiality in the sporting regs, but that actually reminded me of watching F1 as a kid (pre-94). The good races are a slow burn. In the first half, Bottas looked out of it. But in actual fact, had the late, lengthy safety car hadn't emerged, he drove a race that put him contention to be the only MB that could win, despite trailing Hamilton.

Last night, my first instinct was that Ricciardo ballsed it. Doing the ol' Mansell dummy move, but the door really wasn't open. I ****** to know if he wouldn't caused a crash anyway, being right on the dirt anyway. But on a technicality, I he he's saved the responsibility of causing the crash.

Despite enjoying it, there were some things that s**t me. Idk if there's been adjudications on it. But Raikkonen pushing Ocon off, he attempted a move with no authority and just expected Ocon to let him go. Verstappen for blatantly cutting the corner. Then Verstappen getting on the kerb and sliding into Ricciardo, who was off track limits. Had DR stayed within the track, there would've been serious damage.

Watching the race, even without the crash, I was kind of disappointed with DR. Caught out by MV getting past him in the first place, then not getting by MV anyway. Just saying.

He was never going to be penalised for it, the problem is he thinks he is Ayrton Senna the way he drives, but he doesn't have the experience and skill.

Like it or not, Max will win a world championship, but the error red bull have made is ADR should be the number one driver their at the moment, could have stayed another 2 years and tried to win a title with Max doing his apprenticeship as his number 2.

Because Max thinks he is number 1, he drives like it and now Dan will leave at the end of the year.

Horner stuffed up big time, he should have told Max to let Dan past and see what he could do because he was the superior driver, because he didn't he forced Dan to go for a very hard overtake, Max being full of himself double moved on his team mate which may be within the rules when not under breaking, but shouldn't be within the team rules, and they both crashed out.

Max has too many of these stuff ups now to think any other way except he is a spoilt brat. Horner is a nice guy, but he needs to start being a boss and not letting Max do what he wants, he didn't call Dan through yesterday because he knows Max will say I am not letting him past and he doesn't have the cohunas to actually discipline him.

Saying the blame was 50/50 was Horners way of getting out of actually having to dicipline his driver. Did the same with Vetal and he spent his first 2 years at Ferari learning how to be a team player.

I agree with you except for Verstappen winning a championship. He never will unless he grows up and learns to stay on the track.

There's also that Max is the number 1 driver in the team much like Vettel was no matter what they say publicly. You don't say take the 1 available new wing and give it to the guy who qualified slower if you don't have a no 1 and 2 driver within the team, which they did to Webber. Same thing with Webber when they had the no attack rule once it was past the 1st stop he just did it anyway much like yesterday and then same thing u wanna pass me back I'm gonna take us both out so don't even try mentality. He really does race like a complete moron, he's like that kid you used to hate playing games with when you were little as it was his way or the highway or I can hit you but you can't hit me type of s**t. My mates and I (and probably everyone world wide) watching it called it, that he was either gonna ram him to take our D-Ric or not let him past and cause a crash, funny he managed both in the race. Even Davidson afterwards was like he looks like he deliberately lets the wheel roll out to squeeze riccardo against the wall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah, Grosjean! How about that???

That's something I'd expect from racing pygmies like Paul Tracy or supercar drivers.

What a doozy!

Grosjean is the king of pointless crashes under safety cars etc. ******* useless "I think the Sauber hit me" or whatever like come on buddy TV cameras everywhere.

I agree with you except for Verstappen winning a championship. He never will unless he grows up and learns to stay on the track.

He is only 20 and has another 10 to 15 years in the sport, like Jensen Button he is going to be in the right place at the right time at some point.

I actually wonder if Max is bringing all the other drivers closer together. Lewis was all class last night after the race and I thought I would never say that, to not only acknowledge Bottas but also Vetel should have been ahead of him, I don't even think 12 months ago he would have done that. Considering the bumping of cars this time last year between Seb and Lewis, they are getting along really well and the only time I hear them talk foul of a driver is when they are talking about Max.

I'll never forget Paul in San Jose on Alex Tagliani. Even someone like SVG thinks it was a bonehead move!

Also, I remember Tracy doing something similar to what Grosjean did. I think it was at Fontana, and it was late in the race when he was leading?

I just looked San Jose up. Haha, that was stupid! I've always had a knack for following talented knuckleheads. :rolleyes:

He is only 20 and has another 10 to 15 years in the sport, like Jensen Button he is going to be in the right place at the right time at some point.

I actually wonder if Max is bringing all the other drivers closer together. Lewis was all class last night after the race and I thought I would never say that, to not only acknowledge Bottas but also Vetel should have been ahead of him, I don't even think 12 months ago he would have done that. Considering the bumping of cars this time last year between Seb and Lewis, they are getting along really well and the only time I hear them talk foul of a driver is when they are talking about Max.

Depends, last year at this time they had been in some tussles, this time they haven't really been closely racing on track yet. Doesn't take long for Hamilton to go into sook mode once he gets genuinely beaten on track, same with Vettel.

Depends, last year at this time they had been in some tussles, this time they haven't really been closely racing on track yet. Doesn't take long for Hamilton to go into sook mode once he gets genuinely beaten on track, same with Vettel.
Yeah, it’s easy to be humble when you’re reigning champ. If Hamilton finishes the bridesmaid this year, I expect the petulance to come back in full force. If Ferrari continue their pace, maybe even sooner.

Gutted for Bottas. He did everything right in that race and thoroughly deserved the win. There were enough laps behind the safety car for someone to spot debris on the main straight, let alone for another driver to hit it first (not sure whose it was though, the wind might have blown it along).

Obviously most will disagree with me on this, but Ricciardo wasn't entirely blameless in that incident. Max changing direction was still on the straight which is fine its when you have a sudden move whilst braking where its against the rules. Max had already moved back to the left before the braking zone begun, so I would expect the stewards to see it as a racing incident. Max didn't have the awareness that Daniel was going to dummy down the inside, but thats hardly a hanging offence. I hope we don't get team orders going forward, but wouldn't be surprised if we do.
Where was Daniel going to go when verstappen pulled across in front of him for the 2nd time when dan was doing 20 km/h faster and a car length off his tail? All dan could do was slam on the brakes which he did but it wasn't enough to avoid contact.

Verstappen is so much of an immature little brat he intentionally crashed into dan twice before this to avoid being overtaken and this time he completely ****ed it, by the time he moved AGAIN, it was far too late for Daniel to do anything besides hang on. By associating blame to dan you are essentially suggesting no one should attempt to overtake anyone else.

Gutted for Bottas. He did everything right in that race and thoroughly deserved the win. There were enough laps behind the safety car for someone to spot debris on the main straight, let alone for another driver to hit it first (not sure whose it was though, the wind might have blown it along).

Obviously most will disagree with me on this, but Ricciardo wasn't entirely blameless in that incident. Max changing direction was still on the straight which is fine its when you have a sudden move whilst braking where its against the rules. Max had already moved back to the left before the braking zone begun, so I would expect the stewards to see it as a racing incident. Max didn't have the awareness that Daniel was going to dummy down the inside, but thats hardly a hanging offence. I hope we don't get team orders going forward, but wouldn't be surprised if we do.
Where is the one car width that Max has to leave?
DcAmQylUQAAorYB.jpg:large

Db-1qbMX0AAPBIQ.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back