F1 Championship - Round 17 - Japanese Grand Prix

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Overshadowed by Bathurst, the Japanese GP is on this weekend.

Race is tomorrow at 4PM EST (1PM WST). Eastern States have daylight savings tomorrow right ?
http://whenisf1on.com/

Big takeaways from Qualifying
  • Daniel Ricciardo had yet another engine failure and will start 15th. cue the Red Bull conspiracy lines
  • Ferrari made yet another poor strategy call, running the Intermediates in Q3 when everyone else was on softs. Vettel will start 9th, Kimi 4th. If there was any doubt that the championship had already been decided, it's gone now.
  • Mercedes have had blistering pace around here, and its another Hamilton/Bottas front row. I wonder if Bottas will be given a race win here if Vettel remains back in the grid. Probably not but it would be nice
  • Suzuka is an amazing track, but with the way these cars are designed, i'd be surprised if we saw too many overtakes. Undercutting might be the only strategy tomorrow (could be boring).
  • Honda have brought a new engine to their home race, and the Torro Rosso's are 6th and 7th. Red Bull would have many reasons to be optimistic about next year I reckon.
  • After spending most of the race a few years ago shitting on the Honda engine, Alonso finishes slightly above his teammate in 18th position. Worrying signs at McLaren

Daniel is fed up with everything

Someone said during the call he has missed qually 3 only 3 times in his career until 7 races ago and now its 5/7 since that point.

Is he frustrated at red bull handicapping him? Is he frustrated that he has signed on for Renault and these engine failures keep letting him down?

Be interesting to know exactly what he is thinking not that he would tell us.

I don't buy into the conspiracy for what its worth. Red Bull earn money based on where the cars finish, so it makes no sense that they would deliberately set a car up to fail. Not to mention the costs involved with replacing broken parts.

What I do think they are doing though, is testing out a lot of new parts on Daniel's car for next years development. Most teams are starting to look towards 2019 development and it makes logical sense that they would test these parts out on a driver that won't be there next year over Max. They aren't trying to necessarily handicap Daniel against Max, because Max has had no troubles out driving him since Monaco.

I don't buy into the conspiracy for what its worth. Red Bull earn money based on where the cars finish, so it makes no sense that they would deliberately set a car up to fail. Not to mention the costs involved with replacing broken parts.

What I do think they are doing though, is testing out a lot of new parts on Daniel's car for next years development. Most teams are starting to look towards 2019 development and it makes logical sense that they would test these parts out on a driver that won't be there next year over Max. They aren't trying to necessarily handicap Daniel against Max, because Max has had no troubles out driving him since Monaco.
To be fair Max hasn't had to try very hard, Dan has barely had a race without an issue.

I'm not getting happy eagle's point? RB are using Ricciardo to test parts? If it's not working to benefit Daniel, then it's not giving him the best opportunity to succeed.

Since Monaco, it's 123pts to 59. Ricciardo still hasn't matched his total since Monaco in the 10 races since. You read bits and pieces here and there, but can't conclusively say one thing or the other. If Verstappen is better, he's not that much better. Does anybody else got any info or figures that say one thing or another?

Anyone see Dan in the paddock interview after? Devo, and couldn’t speak properly after swearing so hard he lost his voice a touch.

Either Dan was right red bull are a lost cause or thier bitter with him leaving

Either way red bull a lost cause

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s all about Formula 1.5 now
It is interesting that Renault are on top of this standing (when removing the Top 3). There is a fair bit of benefit it seems in being a works team. Next year, the top 4 teams could all be works teams (Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda, Renault). That combined with some exciting young talent in big seats (Leclerc, Gasly) should hopefully make things more exciting. If only Mercedes had the balls to give Hamilton a team mate that could race him.

Its always been said that RBR set up their car very aggressively and it affects engine performance and reliability.

Renault dont seem to have as many issues in the Works team

Doubt rebbull are getting the same engine. .

Why would Daniel son want to finnish higher in races when it's money for next year's closest adversary to where Renault is at?

All those engine penalties ADR took to be competitive have just ****ed him royally. About time the media starting noticing the shafting he’s been getting

Mixed up too 10 and he’s be right up there this week but alas.. 20 again

Go ADR

They know coming into every race weekend barring rain or some other mishap they are 5th and 6th come the end of the race regardless of starting position, there is such a pace advantage for the top 3 they can put a new engine in each week and it won't really change anything for them.

Horner quick to blame Renault for the throttle actuator that ADR had issues with...

Said he should be on the phone to Cyril...

Not good vibes there in that team with those 3 IMO.

GO ADR.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back