F1 Championship - Round 19 - Mexican Grand Prix

Sabbathen

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I was at this race, sitting in the stadium, saw Danny's engine start smoking before it failed. I'm so dirty about the result. If Red Bull aren't actively sabotaging him, they're half arsing the maintenance of his car! Probably Marko's orders, that guy is the biggest campaigner in F1!

Don't have high hopes for Renault, but at least he'll be at a team I don't despise!

I don't actually believe he's being sabotaged, but I do believe they're not giving his car their best service. After the COTA race, Max actually called out the team on their lack of professionalism after people were making jokes at Daniel's expense.

The guy in the video also has his head in the sand if he doesn't think drivers get preferential treatment. Ferrari have done it with Barrichello, Massa and Kimi, Mercedes with Bottas and he's clearly forgetting Red Bull's own form with Webber. Also, as mentioned, Marko's an arsehole. They're happy with 1-2 only if their preferred driver wins.

When mentioning the 8 DNFs, the guy is also failing to take into account all the other issues in qualifying and practice, which has led to grid penalties and poor qualifying positions. Issues that haven't befallen Max at all this year (last year is irrelevant, different car, different circumstances).

As for Mexico, Max was faster all weekend. Dan taking pole surprised the whole team. Why turn his engine down if he's not expected to beat Max? Once he did take pole, it looks like they tinkered with his car to bog down at the start or for his engine to give up.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories and it could well be just bad luck, but it looks pretty suss and given their history with Webber I don't ******* trust them!

Sabbathen

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't actually believe he's being sabotaged, but I do believe they're not giving his car their best service. After the COTA race, Max actually called out the team on their lack of professionalism after people were making jokes at Daniel's expense.

The guy in the video also has his head in the sand if he doesn't think drivers get preferential treatment. Ferrari have done it with Barrichello, Massa and Kimi, Mercedes with Bottas and he's clearly forgetting Red Bull's own form with Webber. Also, as mentioned, Marko's an arsehole. They're happy with 1-2 only if their preferred driver wins.

When mentioning the 8 DNFs, the guy is also failing to take into account all the other issues in qualifying and practice, which has led to grid penalties and poor qualifying positions. Issues that haven't befallen Max at all this year (last year is irrelevant, different car, different circumstances).

As for Mexico, Max was faster all weekend. Dan taking pole surprised the whole team. Why turn his engine down if he's not expected to beat Max? Once he did take pole, it looks like they tinkered with his car to bog down at the start or for his engine to give up.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories and it could well be just bad luck, but it looks pretty suss and given their history with Webber I don't ******* trust them!
Don’t think anyone could argue preferential treatment doesn’t exist in some form in every team. To suggest anything more sinister than that is some serious tin foil hat s**t.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Or maybe Daniel was just poor off the line like he has been for a lot of the year?
Max has jumped him at the start quite a few times this year

Don’t think anyone could argue preferential treatment doesn’t exist in some form in every team. To suggest anything more sinister than that is some serious tin foil hat s**t.

Or maybe Daniel was just poor off the line like he has been for a lot of the year?
Max has jumped him at the start quite a few times this year
As I said, I don't think they're actively sabotaging him, the tinkering on the car comment is more out of frustration. The half-arsed maintenance though, I stand by and is hardly 'tin-foiled hat'.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton

Belgium - DNF
Italy - DNF
Singapore - No Major Issue
Russia - Penalties to start 18th
Japan - Starts 15th due to issues
USA - DNF
Mexico - DNF

So 4/7 DNF, 2 Grid Penalty effected races and 1 genuine chance to race at the front and its compared to 3 mechanical dnfs in 12 races and 1 grid penalty race.

So when he says nothing changed he fails at basic mathematics, its gone from a 67% chance to have a unaffected qually/race to a 14% chance which is massive.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Max's greatest starting maneuver is to run wide and cut the corner to gain a couple of places, pro at it.
Which races has Max left the track and gained positions this year ?
The only one I can recall is France, and even then I'm not sure if he gained a position.
Plus, there are race stewards who look at this type of thing, or are they apart of this grand conspiracy as well?

Bigfooty: "Max crashes too much"
Also Bigfooty: "Max avoids crashes too much"

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Which races has Max left the track and gained positions this year ?
The only one I can recall is France, and even then I'm not sure if he gained a position.
Plus, there are race stewards who look at this type of thing, or are they apart of this grand conspiracy as well?

Bigfooty: "Max crashes too much"
Also Bigfooty: "Max avoids crashes too much"
He did it at least twice early in the season and gained positions on both occasions, of course Max's inherent nature is irrelevant to the treatment the team has given Daniel.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
He did it at least twice early in the season and gained positions on both occasions, of course Max's inherent nature is irrelevant to the treatment the team has given Daniel.
So its gone from something he is "pro" at to something that he apparently did twice early in the season (once again, which races ?)

People are way too overboard with the Max hate on here.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
So its gone from something he is "pro" at to something that he apparently did twice early in the season (once again, which races ?)

People are way too overboard with the Max hate on here.
Look it up yourself, won't be hard to find. He intentionally cheats, nothing you say or do will change that one bit.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Look it up yourself, won't be hard to find. He intentionally cheats, nothing you say or do will change that one bit.
Thats not how burden of proof works but ok...
Out of curiosity, I just went back at watched some of the starts from earlier on in the year and cannot find a single instance except France where Verstappen actually leaves the track on the first lap.
In regards to the French GP, Max is 4th (3rd by the time they get to Turn 1) on the grid and gets out of the way when 3rd and 2nd crash into each other, and comes back onto the track in second. Didn't jump anyone there and was smart to avoid a crash. He even slows down so he doesn't jump Hamilton whilst off the track

Your bias against Verstappen is soo blatant you have resorted to making up things that didn't happen....

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Thats not how burden of proof works but ok...
Out of curiosity, I just went back at watched some of the starts from earlier on in the year and cannot find a single instance except France where Verstappen actually leaves the track on the first lap.
In regards to the French GP, Max is 4th (3rd by the time they get to Turn 1) on the grid and gets out of the way when 3rd and 2nd crash into each other, and comes back onto the track in second. Didn't jump anyone there and was smart to avoid a crash. He even slows down so he doesn't jump Hamilton whilst off the track

Your bias against Verstappen is soo blatant you have resorted to making up things that didn't happen....

Tell me again my thought process it is kind of cute.

Just for you because I know you are intentionally ignoring it. 6th going into the turn behind daniel (Inside line) and kimi, drives off track and comes back in 3rd.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Tell me again my thought process it is kind of cute.

Just for you because I know you are intentionally ignoring it. 6th going into the turn behind daniel (Inside line) and kimi, drives off track and comes back in 3rd.

Watch the onboard from Grojsean

Verstappen loses 5th in Turn 1, but takes it back in Turn 2. Ricciardo had the right line into Turn 3 but the crash between 3rd and 4th got in his way.
Max was 5th and had a poor line going into Turn 3, but had more ability to get out of the way of the two crashing cars and move into 3rd.

No cheating whatsoever, just luck.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Watch the onboard from Grojsean

Verstappen loses 5th in Turn 1, but takes it back in Turn 2. Ricciardo had the right line into Turn 3 but the crash between 3rd and 4th got in his way.
Max was 5th and had a poor line going into Turn 3, but had more ability to get out of the way of the two crashing cars and move into 3rd.

No cheating whatsoever, just luck.

He cheated to gain an advantage, spin whatever bullshit you like he went from 6th to 3rd by driving off track.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Generally speaking. Off the top of my head, I can't remember anyone benefitting from driving off track as often as Verstappen does.

Idk what RB are doing. But when I read elsewhere about RB using experimental, unproven parts only on Ricciardo's car, then it doesn't surprise me. With Ricciardo announcing he's going to Renault, it's understandable for RB to lean towards Verstappen.

Even if RB are giving preparing two cars similarly and it's a case of a serious run of misfortune for Ricciardo. It doesn't seem to me that RB are really worried and aren't really going to go all out to try and solve the problem.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Youngest pp is 21y 72 days. Verstappen still has two opportunities to get the record. Abu Dhabi seem unlikely, but Brazil can wet weather influence the outcome.
NRt1y39.png

Back