FTA-TV F1 Drive to Survive Netflix

Remove this Banner Ad

It would also be nice to see racing from more than 3 GPs. Roughly half the episodes in S5 were re-hashing the Silverstone GP, from the perspective of different teams.

Oh yeh this was a huge flaw. I don’t even think I finished last season I was so bored. The accident was huge in real time, the race brilliant but too much time on it slowed the pace of the episodes down.

Tbh things started to lose steam with D2S with the final race of 2021 and the epic drama around it and the episodes inability to capture the moments, probably because it was so late in the season. I think there’s a full length documentary waiting to be made about that race one day. A truly remarkable race!

Just finished watching Ep 4. A few thoughts...
  • They added a lot of mayo, and then even more mayo, to the Lando Norris / McLaren episode. That really wasn't D2S at its finest. It really felt like they were stretching, looking for controversy where none existed. The drama surrounding Zak Brown, while the car was failing at the start of the season, felt real - but the constant Lando stuff was & felt contrived.
  • It feels odd watching a show about F1, which makes no reference whatsoever to the race for the Championship, and almost no reference to the leading driver. It's understandable, given that 2023 was a complete whitewash, but it still feels weird.
  • I wonder whether the Ep 4 scenes with Steiner and Binotto were filmed before or after he was sacked by Haas?

A few more thoughts, after 6 episodes ...
  • With 2 episodes each for AlphaTauri and Alpine, there are no episodes at all focusing on Alfa Romeo or Red Bull. Red Bull get a reasonable amount of indirect coverage via their link to AlphaTauri, but Alfa Romeo might as well not exist.
  • I can understand them ignoring Max, whose dominance produced no drama whatsoever. But surely they could have made something from Checo's struggles? They massively over egged the Lando drama, so why did the more real Checo drama get ignored?
  • I'm disappointed that the McLaren episode was so Lando-centric that they completely failed to mention Piastri winning the sprint race.
  • I'm getting sick of seeing the Jeddah and Monte Carlo races rehashed, over and over again. There is almost no footage from the second half of the season.

Last edited:
Having watched the rest of the series, my comments about a lack of second half of the season footage is overblown. There's certainly a lot of footage from Singapore, and the final episode centres around the last 2 races of the season.

Several episodes follow the same script - team struggles early, creating internal drama within the team, before the team comes good and enjoys success. This same script is followed with the Williams, Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, and Alpine storylines.

Just finished watching the Disney series on the Brawn team.

There were some grabs from Max Moseley in it - and I couldn't help but wish there'd have been a DTS episode on the revelations about Max's private life.

Staggered that Otmar leaves during Belgium. Probably knew of it at the time, but I quickly forgot. Brutal exit.

Enjoying this season more than last though

They did a solid job of fleshing out a one horse race of a year

I wonder if in a years time Ginger will be seen in this series in light of the last 2 days reveals

His holier than thou attitude has taken a flogging this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back