FTA-TV F1 Drive to Survive Netflix

Remove this Banner Ad

Better than S1 although the Ferrari episode could have been a lot better - however I completely understand as I believe Netflix were deliberately shut out of the more controversial races by Ferrari themselves.

Gained huge respect for Mercedes, Toto and Lewis - with a professional outfit like that it's not hard to see why they've won six constructors and drivers championships in a row. The episode dealing with Spa was difficult to get through - was tastefully handled by Netflix though so kudos to them.

Better than S1 although the Ferrari episode could have been a lot better - however I completely understand as I believe Netflix were deliberately shut out of the more controversial races by Ferrari themselves.

Gained huge respect for Mercedes, Toto and Lewis - with a professional outfit like that it's not hard to see why they've won six constructors and drivers championships in a row. The episode dealing with Spa was difficult to get through - was tastefully handled by Netflix though so kudos to them.

Spa was dreadful

Just finished watching the first season, that was a very well put-together show. Didn't like how they painted Grosjean though, feel for that guy. Also surprised they didn't cover Raikkonen winning that late race, that was a special moment for a legend of the sport.

Great series which and really got me into F1. I was more of a casual before, but really looking forward to the start of the season now.

Can't wait for Season 3.

Currently watching season 1 after already watching season 2... which is interesting given what we know happened with the changing of drivers, etc.

Really enjoying as an F1 nut as get further insight into the behind the scenes of the teams, drivers & other characters.

Agree Gunther is great value.

Great series which and really got me into F1. I was more of a casual before, but really looking forward to the start of the season now.

Can't wait for Season 3.
You can’t have S3 without 2020 unfolding so pay attention to 2020 because by paying attention in 2019 made S2 so rewarding

Just starting watching S1, I'm 3 eps in. I used to be a huge F1 nut from the 80's back in the days of Mansell v Senna v Prost, but lost interest a few seasons ago, around the time they imposed V6 engines, and Hamilton started dominating with Mercedes, just became too boring.

Some early observations of the show:

Ep1, where both Haas cars had their wheels come off in the Melb race after qualifying high up the grid. The pit mechanic talking to Gunther was so aloof about it.. "I don't know what happened...we were tired..". WTF?? You had one job! I would fired the twat on the spot.

Ep2 at Baku, one of the rival crews joking that Grosjean in his Haas wouldn't make it past turn one in the race. Sure enough, it happened.

Ep3 at Monaco, Horner telling Ginger Spice at their home in the UK before the race "gee, I'd love for Max to get a result this weekend.." An over zealous Max puts it into the wall during practice, Dan qualifies first, then they show Horner telling Dan's dad Joe that "there's no favoured driver here at Red Bull".

Also, as someone who's followed F1 for decades, from when Williams was THE ride, it's staggering to see how far they have fallen, rock bottom. Surprised they've stuck with Clare for this long. Clearly change is needed.

For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend the Williams move from a few years ago, probably the best F1 film I've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished S2. Was decent from an entertainment perspective, and I get it, that's what Netflix are going for to entice new fans into the sport. But gee, they are going about it under false pretenses, taking a heap of creative liberties and not being true to actual events.
Fake narratives, faux villains, splicing footage and audio, implying that F1 cars have a 28 speed gearbox with all the up and down shifting sound effects... way too much manufactured drama. When it wasn't needed.

Just starting watching S1, I'm 3 eps in. I used to be a huge F1 nut from the 80's back in the days of Mansell v Senna v Prost, but lost interest a few seasons ago, around the time they imposed V6 engines, and Hamilton started dominating with Mercedes, just became too boring.

Some early observations of the show:

Ep1, where both Haas cars had their wheels come off in the Melb race after qualifying high up the grid. The pit mechanic talking to Gunther was so aloof about it.. "I don't know what happened...we were tired..". WTF?? You had one job! I would fired the twat on the spot.

Ep2 at Baku, one of the rival crews joking that Grosjean in his Haas wouldn't make it past turn one in the race. Sure enough, it happened.

Ep3 at Monaco, Horner telling Ginger Spice at their home in the UK before the race "gee, I'd love for Max to get a result this weekend.." An over zealous Max puts it into the wall during practice, Dan qualifies first, then they show Horner telling Dan's dad Joe that "there's no favoured driver here at Red Bull".

Same in terms of watching F1. Meant I'd missed that whole story about how Red Bull weren't ready for Riccardo at the pit for a tyre change the season before. HTF does that happen?

Even if you didn't know anything about F1, this is entertaining. Netflix does these well - who knew I'd watch cheerleading competitions in Cheer?

Looking forward to George Russell Mercedes the most, and I hope they don't overplay/dramatise the whole Grosjean situation
Grosjean’s crash and fire? Absolutely they will. When you watch Race for Perfection on Stan and look back at the deaths of earlier years to see him survive is a testament to the technological safety of today.

I went from someone who could only name 3 F1 drivers this time last year to someone who watched almost every race in 2020 because of watching Drive to Survive during the first lockdown. What a great advertisement for the sport.

Of course I've since learned that the narratives on the show are dramatised to make good stories for TV (e.g. Perez the borderline villain edit in Season 1). But still am thoroughly looking forward to the new season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back