F1 has it lost the plot | BigFooty

F1 has it lost the plot

Discussion in 'Motor Board' started by Slax, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Slax

Slax Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    In the dark corner of the bar away from security
    Other Teams:
    Man City
    With the fiasco surrounding the Schummacher-Barrichello incident in Austria I want to know do you think F1 has lost the plot or not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Slax

Slax Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    In the dark corner of the bar away from security
    Other Teams:
    Man City
    £1 million fine to Ferrari what a joke.

3. Macca19

Macca19 Moderator

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    MUFC, Orlando Magic
    No it hasnt lost the plot. These things happen all the time....almost every race teammates will help each other out and contrive results etc. Has been going on for ages...it just was never as obvious as the Austria race.

4. GOALden Hawk

GOALden Hawk Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Ahh...it's a team sport? I don't remember McLaren getting fined when Coulthard moved over at Australia 1998. Or when Hakkinen was gifted his first win by Senna.

The behaviour on the podium was wrong, no doubt about that, and maybe Ferrari could have disguised it better (like when Schumacher had 'brake problems' in 1999 and allowed Irvine past) but what would that have achieved?

5. Thegibbsgamble

Thegibbsgamble I beg to meg

Adelaide
    Those halos look terrible.

What happened to the big bangers

No more Silverstone but a crappy boring Albert park

glory be

6. imadodgyumpire

imadodgyumpire Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Has there ever been a bigger bump on the motor board?

7. GetAroundHim99

GetAroundHim99 Senior List

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
    I don't think so.

Jesus, 16 year bump. The last post before today....

Was when F1 was still on Channel 9, Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso were up and coming rookies, Juan Manuel Fangio was still the most successful World Champion with 5 World Championships (Schumacher wouldn't tie it until 20 days later.) and Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel and Nico Rosberg had yet to win World Championships with 3 of those drivers not starting in F1 until 4-5 years later.

Also, I would highly debate that Team Orders to the magnitude of Austria 2002 is a lot worse than a Safety Device.

imadodgyumpire likes this.
  8. Dockerjonz

Dockerjonz All Australian

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Benfica,Canucks
    Haha farken'ell, looked like a new thread to me with 6 posts

9. imadodgyumpire

Carlton
    You know, I reckon this thread could've been started every year F1 has occurred?

10. YippeeYiYeo

YippeeYiYeo Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    if it werent for Danny Ric my interest would be quite low. The racing just isnt a spectacle like it used to be.

Main reasons are much less overtaking, cars sound quiet, front 3 teams are too far in front of rest of the field.

11. Klyntonius

Klyntonius Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
    Apart from quiet cars, has it ever really been very different? I'm only a casual fan but can't really ever remember a period where there were more than a handful of consistently competitive teams or when F1 was constant wheel-to-wheel action. I'd have said the current situation is pretty normal with the exception that in the past the competitive teams might've traded places a bit as to who was the best from season to season where it has largely been the same holding pattern for the past 4 or 5 seasons with Mercedes in front and Ferrari and Red Bull swapping who is second best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. YippeeYiYeo

YippeeYiYeo Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    well the overtaking is a massive problem because of the altered downforce the teams discovered which causes dirty turbulent air so the driver behind loses grip which was why DRS was invented. So getting the cars back to a more basic design would definitely support more overtaking which is the main gripe.

As for the aesthetics of F1 the sound and look of the cars is huge. F1 wont keep fans by being on the cutting edge of technology. We care more about the spectacle than anything else.

13. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Club Legend

Carlton
    By all means, let formula1 remain at the cutting-edge in various respects, just don't **** around with the screaming sound from the pre-hybrid era and limit aerodynamics to a single-piece panel/part instead of what has led to these monstrosities.

How could they not understand that the screaming sound of a ridiculously high-revving engine is such a major attraction to a vast number of fans (and potential fans)???

You know, they could in theory still allow some sort of energy-recovery while leaving out the ******* TURBOS to limit rpm. Maybe.

YippeeYiYeo likes this.
  14. imadodgyumpire

Carlton
    The screaming engines were BS. If that's what fans were attracted to, they should piss off.

GetAroundHim99 likes this.
  15. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Club Legend

Carlton
    Live near Albert Park, do you? :p

Thegibbsgamble and YippeeYiYeo like this.
  16. imadodgyumpire

Carlton
    Nope. Having the loudest engine noises isn't what makes F1, F1. It was unnecessary, and they didn't have the variation of sounds like the 3.5l engines did (at about 13,000rpm), so they weren't that good. It's just people were just used to them being like that and think that's how they're supposes to be. They're not.

They're louder than the v8s, and those things are considered loud, growling, snarly engines. It BS, people don't know what they're complaining about.

GetAroundHim99 likes this.
  17. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Club Legend

Carlton
    Interesting perspective, you have. Each to their own, I should have said :):thumbsu:

I have heard a number of the the different engine sounds live. For me and many who I speak to (or whose comments I've read), it's not only about how many dB but also the pitch/sound quality that the higher revving NA engines made. Just a quick Google search and you'll see what I mean.

Now, I'm not saying the absolute highest revving engines were the best. The sound of the 1990 Ferrari 3.0 V12 was pretty special and nowhere near the highest revver or the loudest.

But today's engines? C'mon, even the F1 drivers complain.

Anyway, it will be very interesting to see what the new regs will produce in a couple of years.

18. Thegibbsgamble

Adelaide
    Two things in life real men want to hear

Racing cars growl and women howl

Dodgy must be female

19. imadodgyumpire

Carlton
    Wtf would a loser like you know about women? :drunk:

Wtf do you know about racing??? You obviously don't get that F1 is fundamentally a prototype class, therefore the hybrid engines make it legitimate.

newbie_kimber and Doc_ like this.
  20. newbie_kimber

newbie_kimber Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Wigan Athletic
    Agree to disagree on the engine noises dodge. Loved the screaming, but don't love F1 less because of the quieter engines.

Note: Max Verstappen was 4 years old when this thread was started.

21. DamoESP

DamoESP Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
    TBH watching live vs watching on TV are two different experiences for me. I only ever got to see the V8 era cars live (2012 Malaysia) and the roar of the engines coming down that main pit straight there was a once in a lifetime experience for me.

In saying that, I don't mind the "quieter" engines now when watching via TV coverage, as you can now actually hear brakes/tyres locking up, wheels losing grip etc over the engine noise. I just wish Sky etc did a few more laps with no commentary with their "Audio Up" mode.

22. Thegibbsgamble

Adelaide
    You support Carlton lol

23. imadodgyumpire

Carlton
    I would have a pop at Adelaide. But you're lucky there's good regular posters on here that also barrack for Adelaide, carrying your ass.

newbie_kimber and Doc_ like this.