F1 in 2010.

Remove this Banner Ad

If he wins the WSR title, he gets a full test with the Renault team, so his performance in that could influence his future. He was also very impressive in the Red Bull test he did after the 2009 season from memory.

Interesting. A potential Renault test could change his potential direction in F1, getting a drive there would also be a carrot worth dangling by Renault to try and get him there in future in my opinion.

SebastianVettel said:
I thought earlier in the year that they may try and get him into STR for next year, but I think now that they'll try and run him in GP2 next year, and promote him for 2012. It'll be better for him I think.

I also think Ricciardo should hold off a year as well now. I thought he was already in GP2 but I think a season in that championship would do him the world of good. If he were to drive for Toro Rosso next year I think that would be a little premature.

SebastianVettel said:
Realistically 2011 is going to be Webbers last with Red Bull (he's basically said it himself), so it could tie in nicely if they're really desperate to promote Alguersuari or Buemi.

However, while I think both have been decent enough this year, I don't think they've shown anywhere near enough to prove they merit a top drive. Vettel has had moments of madness where he's shown his inexperience, but before he'd been promoted he was already the youngest ever race winner, and had come off a year where his personal tally had beaten the senior teams points combined. While he's got a lot to learn still, you can't deny that he's very, very fast. I don't see that level of raw speed or talent in either of the Toro Rosso guys.

I'm reasonably confident that Ricciardo will be better than both of the current STR guys down the track, and I think they'll opt for a more experienced guy to take Webbers seat in 2012. So I dare say one of the current STR drivers will be boned in 2012. My best guess anyway.

2011 might be Webber's last in F1 as well. At the end of next season he'll be 35 and if he has a world title by then retirement might be an option for him knowing he has achieved all he can in the top class of motorsport. Alternatively he could do a David Coulthard/Rubens Barrichello and drive for a mid-pack team for a couple of years to help with their development and then eventually hang up the helmet.

I don't rate Alguersuari or Buemi much either, I see them more as mid-pack drivers rather than ones who are capable of racing in a top team and doing well. Like I said previously in this thread, STR are looking for improved efforts from them both in the remaining races so it one of them may get cut at the end of this season even though they both have contracts for next year. That would give one or perhaps two drivers a chance at a drive for next season and Ricciardo might be one of them but I hope they hold him back for 2012.

Team orders hearing tonight.

I think in about half an hour the WMSC publishes their matters to be discussed, then in about 90 minutes they move onto the Ferrari case.

I'll tip that they'll get their constructors points from Germany taken away, but the drivers results will stand.

Ah too good, great news. Seeing s everyone does it.
Now lets get on with it, and score points.

Nick Heidfeld is back for Sauber for the rest of the season. :thumbsu:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86691

Harsh on Pedro because he's a nice guy, but he hasn't really delivered - and Kobayashi has been distinctly more impressive. Also a good move getting Heidfeld in for the development of the 2011 car - given he's bound to have a degree of inside knowledge about the Pirelli tyres.

I don't think this needs a new thread, so i'll post it here.

Trailer for the upcoming Ayrton Senna doco:
[YOUTUBE]N70aoG5Lh40[/YOUTUBE]

This weekend, Bruno Senna will have a new helmet design to celebrate Ayrton's 50th birthday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found this on another forum. Engines used by the drivers.

whod4y.jpg

mtt8xg.jpg

Webber in the box seat having used only 6 engines. I think you can almost count Alonso out. Can't see how they're gonna make 1 engine last the final 5 races.

It'll be an interesting finish.

whod4y.jpg

mtt8xg.jpg

Webber in the box seat having used only 6 engines. I think you can almost count Alonso out. Can't see how they're gonna make 1 engine last the final 5 races.

Webber has also blown two so he has two fresh ones and four used engines left. The only other driver to have blown an engine is Alonso who has also lost two and has no fresh engines remaining so if Webber blows one he'll be back on par with Hamilton, Button and Vettel who are on their seventh engine. Drivers can go back to engines that have already been used though I'm pretty sure however that can be frought with danger and teams may opt to take the grid-penalty rather than risk having a used engine blow during a race.

Hamilton, Button and Vettel will probably use their current engines for the Singapore and Japanese Grands Prix and then use their final engine for the remaining three races if they can squeeze them that far.

whod4y.jpg

mtt8xg.jpg

Looking at the kms done by each engine for all three would indicate that there's actually no problem for any of the drivers.

Alonso has three engines available to him for the final 5 races with 527, 807 and 1154 kms done on each. By the looks of it the engines are actually capable of 2000 kms or so which give plenty of kms before all three are done.

I agree that Webber is in the best position because he has two unused engines, but there's no guarantee that those engines have any longevity.

and from a separate source:

Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa have used, at least once, all the eight engines allowed by the FIA regulations for the 2010 Formula 1 season.

The ones that have used the less engines are Robert Kubica, Vitaly Petrov (both Renault F1 Team), Rubens Barichello (Williams) and Mark Webber (Red Bull Racing), all with six engines used in 2010, the last one having a strategic advantage in front of his rivals in the race for the title. All other drivers have used seven engines, excepting the F1 car drove by Pedro de la Rosa (nine engines). The car will be drove from now on, in the last five races of the season, by Nick Heidfeld, who will take over the engines “legacy” from the Spanish driver.

Current odds for the championship by Bet365.

Webber $1.63
Alonso $2
Vettel $3.50
Hamilton $8
Button $20

I'm surprised that Hamilton is at $8 and I'm surprised at why he ruled himself out for the championship. Only 18 points behind Webber and the whole thing can change in one race. I still wouldn't rule out Button either. He's hanging in there, although only just, but I still think he can maybe sneak a win somewhere as he's fairly consistent.

If Webber was to win at Suzuka and with Korea unlikely to go ahead, he'd have one hand on the championship.

Can't wait. :thumbsu:

Juicy odds for Vettel...
Webber only has to beat Vettel once in the last 4 races and Vettel is out of the championship. It would be 28 buffer if they have a 1,2 in Japan, it would take a dnf from mark to put Vettel back in it.

Alonso on the other hand could win comfortably if Ferrari have caught Red Bull performance wise, Hamilton less likely as Mclaren appears to be off the pace recently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back