F1 in 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of the one year that he nearly won the title, I can't think of any real reason to call him a "top quality driver". The thoughts that I most strongly associate with Massa is thinking "How the **** did he spin there?" so many times

Lets not forget he was beating his highly touted, world champion team mate Kimi Raikkonen 18-4 (after beating him the year before) up until the point where he had a titanium plate inserted into his skill.*

Sure he's never been one of the greats, but he certainly wasn't the spud he is now.

Edit: Meant 'skull', but not a bad stuff up really.

Keep an eye out for 18 year old Kevin Ceccon he has done some testing for some teams this year.

Mitch Evans who is a year 17 old from New Zealand who is in the GP3 Series.
Mitch has done some work with Webber and i think he will be right up there this year in GP3.

Mitch has been on the radar for a long time...he was driving Formula Ford cars at just 12 years old! Kelly Racing offered him a full time drive in the V8 Supercar series at just 15 too!! He had a ridiculous amount of bad luck in last years GP3 series, he was easily in the top few drivers. He is the stand-out favourite for this year's series too. This kid has been going places for years...he's pretty much besties with Mark Webber too which has already helped him a great deal and will further into the future.

Lets not forget he was beating his highly touted, world champion team mate Kimi Raikkonen 18-4 (after beating him the year before) up until the point where he had a titanium plate inserted into his skill.*

Sure he's never been one of the greats, but he certainly wasn't the spud he is now.

Edit: Meant 'skull', but not a bad stuff up really.

In a car tailor made to his strengths (which were the opposite of what Kimi's were) iirc

Sure, all of that plays a part.

But still, I think saying he was never top quality is a bit harsh.

Depends on your definition of "top quality" (just like the discussions on which players are elite in the AFL).

Is a driver that is able to stay in Formula 1 top quality by virtue of the fact that they are reasonably competitive in the highest class of motor racing in the world? Because that is about the only way I'd be comfortable saying he is top quality.

Of the current F1 drivers, I'd argue that at least 7 (i.e. nearly 30% of the field) are better drivers that he is, which is not top quality to me (I'd want him to be Top 5 at least)

Depends on your definition of "top quality" (just like the discussions on which players are elite in the AFL).

Is a driver that is able to stay in Formula 1 top quality by virtue of the fact that they are reasonably competitive in the highest class of motor racing in the world? Because that is about the only way I'd be comfortable saying he is top quality.

Of the current F1 drivers, I'd argue that at least 7 (i.e. nearly 30% of the field) are better drivers that he is, which is not top quality to me (I'd want him to be Top 5 at least)

I'd say if you are good enough to be WDC for half a lap when your team mate is the reigning WDC that's probably enough to be defined as 'top quality'.

Btw, I'm not saying he's top quality now, I'm saying before his injury he was a very good driver.

I don't understand why technology in this country is going backwards. 5-10 years ago hardly anyone had HD tvs and everything was shown in HD on these channel. Now when probably atleast 80% of the population have a HD tv, they now go back to SD. I don't understand the reasoning? Surely it wouldn't cost them much to broadcast overseas feeds in HD.

Sauce?

A quick google search revealed nothing for me.

I read it on Whirlpool. Lots of people all over the country have said One was in SD when they checked to see if it was true. It's certainly blurry SD for me now.

EDIT: Apparently it may only be temporary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Webber has denied the rumors about moving.

Just another BS rumor like Casey Stoner retiring in the Motorgp.

Webber has denied the rumors about moving.

Just another BS rumor like Casey Stoner retiring in the Motorgp.

This is getting quite a run on autosport but no he hasn't.

All he said is 'I haven't signed anything.'

Very clearly doesn't say 'I am not going to Ferrari.'

I'm certainly not sold, but he didn't deny it.

Massa was a top quality driver until he nearly died. Who knows how all that brain injury affected his reactions etc.

True. I don't deny that he's half the driver he once was. But in the here and now, Massa is a 'has been' in the sense that he was once half decent, but now he seems to struggle. Based on current form, I don't think Massa deserves any F1 drive, let alone Williams.

Frankly, I think drivers should realise when they're past their sell by date and retire gracefully.

Has anyone else heard the rumours about Mercedes maybe pulling the pin on F1?

It is all over the Sky Sports website.

Hopefully it is just a media beat up, would be a great loss if there were to. At a minimum we need to keep them around as an engine supplier.

Has anyone else heard the rumours about Mercedes maybe pulling the pin on F1?

It is all over the Sky Sports website.

Hopefully it is just a media beat up, would be a great loss if there were to. At a minimum we need to keep them around as an engine supplier.

Just as they are starting to find there feet with the factory team too.

Jeez that would be pretty s**t for F1. It's great to have them as a competitive team fighting for wins.

Not really that surprising though. F1 is 100% about aero these days.

There's almost nothing from F1 they can use as development for road cars. No engine development, no suspension, pretty much no active components at all (mass damper etc).

Sports cars are really much more valuable to a car company.

Edit: Turns out it's all about the float.

Bernie strikes again :rolleyes:

There's almost nothing from F1 they can use as development for road cars. No engine development, no suspension, pretty much no active components at all (mass damper etc).

Sports cars are really much more valuable to a car company.
I suspect, you already know why Audi go for Le Mans instead, even though they may not being racing anyone else.

Webber is surely joining Ferrari next year.
Leaves a spot at RedBull.
Neither Ricciardo or Vergne have set the world on fire in the STR for mine. I think both may be given an extra year at STR.
Who joins RBR then for a year or so? Youd think theyd want someone who can compete at the top in case something goes wrong with Vettel.

Also what is the latest on Kubica?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back