F1 in 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd create a thread for all things 2013 in Formula 1.

Webber re-signing for Red Bull probably deserves it's own thread, but the news that Spa has extended their contract to host Formula 1 for another three years is probably bigger news IMO.

Spa is by far my favourite circuit, and is also a favourite with most of the drivers. Webber's pass on Alonso at the track last year was one of the moves of the year and is symptomatic of the high speed nature of the circuit.

The news on Spa means that the Belgian Grand Prix is no longer going to alternate with a French Grand Prix as was suggested earlier this year.

, but the news that Spa has extended their contract to host Formula 1 for another three years is probably bigger news IMO.

Spa is by far my favourite circuit, and is also a favourite with most of the drivers.

The news on Spa means that the Belgian Grand Prix is no longer going to alternate with a French Grand Prix as was suggested earlier this year.
I came a cross a website last year, asking to sign a petition to save the Belgian gp. I signed it, thinking nothing of it, til I got this email the other day.

Grand Prix F1

info@grandprixf1.be

To _________

Grand Prix F1 (info@grandprixf1.be)
Sent:
Saturday, 14 July 2012 8:04:42 PM
To: _________ (_________.com)
Bonjour, Hello, Goedendag,

Vous avez signé LA PETITION, vous avez sauvé les G.P. F1 de Belgique 2013, 2014 et 2015. MERCI.

You have signed THE PETITION, you saved THE BELGIAN F1 GP 2013, 2014 and 2015. THANK YOU.

U heeft DE PETITIE ondertekend, u hebt opgeslagen de Belgische F1 GP 2013, 2014 en 2014. DANK U.

<<http://www.grandprixf1.be/>>=> <<https://www.facebook.com/grandprixf1.be>>

BTW - with Webber re-signing with Red Bull it means that RB are the only team so far to confirm their driver lineups for 2013. Here's the current team/driver situation:

Red Bull Racing - Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - Jenson Button, TBA
Scuderia Ferrari - Fernando Alonso, TBA
Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Nico Rosberg, TBA
Lotus F1 Team - Kimi Räikkönen, TBA
Sahara Force India F1 Team - TBA, TBA
Sauber F1 Team - TBA, TBA
Scuderia Toro Rosso - TBA, TBA
Williams F1 - Pastor Maldonado, TBA
Caterham F1 Team - TBA, TBA
HRT F1 Team - Pedro de la Rosa, TBA
Marussia F1 Team - Timo Glock, TBA

With a seat open at Ferrari you would think that things won't fall into place until the seat is filled. I've read reports that Hamilton will make a decision on whether or not he re-signs with McLaren during the summer break. Apparently Alonso has a say in who gets the 2nd Ferrari seat, and I'm not convinced that the Ferrari camp would want Hamilton, so I'd be putting my money on Perez to be in scarlet next year.

It's also reported that Finnish driver Valterri Bottas is almost assured a full seat at Williams in 2013. He is currently the Williams test driver and looks ready to step up. Bottas topped the sheets at the recent young driver test at Silverstone and is the current GP3 Champion.

It's also reported that Finnish driver Valterri Bottas is almost assured a full seat at Williams in 2013. He is currently the Williams test driver and looks ready to step up. Bottas topped the sheets at the recent young driver test at Silverstone and is the current GP3 Champion.

I was surprised he did not get a full time drive this season.

I was surprised he did not get a full time drive this season.
Money talks in Formula 1, and with Williams coming off a disastrous 2011, two pay drivers were needed for the bottom line. Their success so far in 2012 means they will have more options next year as far as drivers are concerned.

Hamilton will stay at Mclaren, but Ron Dennis will come back to micro manage everything.
My tip.

BTW - with Webber re-signing with Red Bull it means that RB are the only team so far to confirm their driver lineups for 2013. Here's the current team/driver situation:

Red Bull Racing - Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - Jenson Button, Hamilton
Scuderia Ferrari - Fernando Alonso Massa,
Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Nico Rosberg, Schumacher (swansong year)
Lotus F1 Team - Kimi Räikkönen Grosjean,
Sahara Force India F1 Team - DirResta Hulkenberg
Sauber F1 Team - Perez Kobyashi
Scuderia Toro Rosso - Ricciardo Vergne
Williams F1 - Pastor Maldonado, Bottas
Caterham F1 Team - Kovalainen Algusuari/Buemi
HRT F1 Team - Pedro de la Rosa Senna,
Marussia F1 Team - Timo Glock Petrov,

With a seat open at Ferrari you would think that things won't fall into place until the seat is filled. I've read reports that Hamilton will make a decision on whether or not he re-signs with McLaren during the summer break. Apparently Alonso has a say in who gets the 2nd Ferrari seat, and I'm not convinced that the Ferrari camp would want Hamilton, so I'd be putting my money on Perez to be in scarlet next year.

Love Spa. Cant wait.

Ive put my hopes / predictions in red.

Money talks in Formula 1, and with Williams coming off a disastrous 2011, two pay drivers were needed for the bottom line. Their success so far in 2012 means they will have more options next year as far as drivers are concerned.

I thought i read somewhere that he is cashed up now?

Love Spa. Cant wait.

Ive put my hopes / predictions in red.

I'd expect a bigger turnover of drivers than is on your list. There's a bunch of GP2 and GP3 drivers that will undoubtedly come under consideration at the end of the year.

I'd expect a bigger turnover of drivers than is on your list. There's a bunch of GP2 and GP3 drivers that will undoubtedly come under consideration at the end of the year.

I had a bit of a look at the GP2 on fox the other day. None really stood out to be honest.

Bottas aside i wouldnt think too many others would get a look in for 2013.

Unless they come with cash of course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a bit of a look at the GP2 on fox the other day. None really stood out to be honest.

Bottas aside i wouldnt think too many others would get a look in for 2013.

Unless they come with cash of course
Foxtel shows GP2?? Live?

Awesome, no more watching it on streams.

Edit: Btw, Gutierrez is quite highly rated/cash backed so expect him to come under serious consideration.

I'm hoping Kobayashi takes Massa's seat at Ferrari. Perez has scored a 2nd and 3rd this year but Kobayashi I think has far more raw talent, speed and skill.

I suspect that at Ferrari, Kobayashi would learn a thing or two about discipline and would within a few months be knocking on Alonso's door if not totally eclipsing him.

Based on the pace of the Sauber this year, James Key is clearly an important signing for Toro Rosso

James Key, formerly technical director at Jordan and Sauber, has taken over the position at Toro Rosso following the resignation of Giorgio Ascanelli.

The 40-year-old Briton started work at Faenza on Monday and said: "Even after just a few days I have sensed from everyone I have dealt with, an enthusiasm to move the team forward.

"There are clear opportunities coming up through regulation changes and we intend to look not only long term but short term too. We will be studying the team's working practices in all departments, while looking to see which areras need strengthening further.

"Our aim has to be to move the team up a level in terms of its position within the F1 hierarchy.
Key joined Jordan in 1998, rising to technical director seven years later, before leaving to joing Sauber in 2010.

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - Jenson Button, TBA
Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Nico Rosberg, TBA
What's the likelihood that the talk of Lewis possibly replacing Michael at Mercedes will materialise? Personally I reckon he's better off staying at McLaren, unless the Merc money is ridiculous.

What's the likelihood that the talk of Lewis possibly replacing Michael at Mercedes will materialise? Personally I reckon he's better off staying at McLaren, unless the Merc money is ridiculous.
I'll be very happy if he goes to Merc. Imagine the meltdowns when he's struggling for podiums (again).

It will provide solid, season long entertainment

I'll be very happy if he goes to Merc. Imagine the meltdowns when he's struggling for podiums (again).

It will provide solid, season long entertainment
I was thinking about how good it would be the other day..

tumblr_lo8p7dr0lU1qf5zj9o1_500.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back