F1 in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

James Allen is reporting that Caterham have been given permission to miss both the U.S. and Brazillian GP whilst a buyer is found for the team

Caterham are set to miss the US and Brazilian Grands Prix after the administrators now running the squad revealed that Bernie Ecclestone has given permission for it to sit out the next two rounds of the F1 championship.

This morning the management team led by Colin Kolles stepped back from running the team and handed control to administrators at London-based accountancy firm Smith & Williamson. This afternoon the firm confirmed that the team has now been given “dispensation” to miss the next two grands prix while a buyer is sought.

The statement read: “In a telephone conversation today between Finbarr O’Connell and Bernie Ecclestone, Mr Ecclestone agreed to support the administrators in their wish to sell the Formula One team to a party with the financial strength to sustain it into the future.

“Mr Ecclestone also agreed to give dispensation to Caterham F1 such that it could, if necessary, miss the US and Brazilian Grands Prix, but hoped that a new owner would be in a position to race the team at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Now rumours are starting to circulate that Marussia may also miss the U.S. GP!

I'm seething about this. The small teams have been warning about this for years but the bigger teams (RBR in particular) have ignored them and Bernie the campaigner is just obsessed by money and doesn't actually give a s**t about the sport. ******* farce.

The only question is whether or not Sauber follow marussia and Caterham into oblivion. That being said the chances of Marussia finding a buyer are higher than Caterham because they will be owed prize money at the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont mind the 8x3 idea. It makes the the elite.
I would prefer a MotoGP style open class though. Where they can keep the costs down that way.

I dont mind the 8x3 idea. It makes the the elite.
I would prefer a MotoGP style open class though. Where they can keep the costs down that way.
How far does it go though? 8 teams fielding 3 cars, then if the bottom teams go broke again is it 6 teams fielding 4 cars? And so forth?

This has been an issue for years. FOM and the FIA need to something real about it.

I like the idea of 3 car teams too.

The best racing is obviously when cars are reasonably evenly matched, so a move that puts more identical cars on the grid seems like it has plenty of positives to me. I can't see how having an extra couple of backmarkers is more exciting than having another good driver out there with the opportunity to compete in a Merc, Red Bull or Ferrari.

I like the idea of 3 car teams too.

The best racing is obviously when cars are reasonably evenly matched, so a move that puts more identical cars on the grid seems like it has plenty of positives to me. I can't see how having an extra couple of backmarkers is more exciting than having another good driver out there with the opportunity to compete in a Merc, Red Bull or Ferrari.
Because you start down that path you'll wind up watching Mercedes v Ferrari in 20 years. Lotus are on the verge of going broke too. This was a team that was winning races and pushing for podiums only a couple of years ago. Williams are hardly flush with cash either.

Teams of 2 cars has worked for ~60 years. This is a crisis point for Formula One. Let's hope they go the right way.

BBC F1 is saying that deal might not actually be for teams to run 3 cars, rather supply teams with a Car for them to race with.

Ie. Ferrari give Marussia a Car, say to them you must put sponsor 'X' on the Car and driver 'Y' in the seat.

Sounds ok in theory, but isnt that just customer cars which have been knocked back for years now. The Prodrive and McLaren scenario.

BBC F1 is saying that deal might not actually be for teams to run 3 cars, rather supply teams with a Car for them to race with.

Ie. Ferrari give Marussia a Car, say to them you must put sponsor 'X' on the Car and driver 'Y' in the seat.

Sounds ok in theory, but isnt that just customer cars which have been knocked back for years now. The Prodrive and McLaren scenario.
Not feasible. How would Sauber and Force India react if suddenly Marussia got to drive a Mercedes around? Inherently unfair. Though it's becoming less of a sport every year so...

Not feasible. How would Sauber and Force India react if suddenly Marussia got to drive a Mercedes around? Inherently unfair. Though it's becoming less of a sport every year so...

I agree, and basically to sport is stuffed. Because Ferrari Mercedes etc are never going to allow coast caps etc. Otherwise theyll just walk out and start anoter version of F1. A 3rd car is the only future i can see. Maybe with a rule that the 3rd car has to have a Driver with less than 3 years experience, or its a year old model, something like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back