F1 Monaco GP: May 21st 2021

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Ricciardo baffled by Monaco mess: ‘I refuse to believe I’m that slow’
Daniel Ricciardo was left absolutely baffled in Monaco after another horror day saw him blown out of the water by his McLaren teammate.

There were always going to be teething problems in Daniel Ricciardo’s early days at McLaren but the Aussie and his new team are fast approaching crisis time after a disastrous qualifying result at the Monaco Grand Prix.
Ricciardo managed just the 12th fastest time at one of his fastest tracks and was once again far outperformed by teammate Lando Norris who qualified fifth behind pole-sitter Charles Leclerc of Ferrari.

‘I refuse to believe I’m that slow’

Ricciardo’s fastest lap of 1:11.598 was almost a full second slower than the time Norris laid down in the third qualifying session (1:10.620) and the Perth-born driver refused to believe he was solely responsible.

“I’m probably confused more than frustrated,” he said. “Obviously frustrated and upset, we know qualifying here is so big, but it’s probably got to a point where it’s not even the position now, it’s just we’ve been pretty much a second off all weekend.

“I’d like to say I’m just not confident or still need to learn the car but not a second, not around here.

“I’m certainly not being like, ‘Yeah, something is broken’, but I think we do have to have a look into maybe a bigger picture, because I refuse to believe I’m that slow around here.

“Obviously I’ve been around here with Max (Verstappen as teammate) — and I’m sure Lando’s fast — but I refuse to believe he’s a second quicker around here, and I don’t mean to say that against him.

“But just all weekend, even crossing the line a lot of laps I felt good, I was like that’s a good lap. And I think at one point I was 1.2 seconds slower than say what Lando had just done, so no answers at the moment.”

‘I’m sure the team will do a dig’

The 31-year-old didn’t believe Norris’ greater experience in the McLaren was the reason for his success either.

“I mean there is still a little bit of a difference in driving style and things like a bit of braking technique and that, and again even if I’m not optimising the car, I would still say OK maybe I’m two tenths slower or three tenths slower,” Ricciardo said.

“But the whole let’s say call it a second, I don’t know, it seems a lot. I’m not going to bury my head in the sand and be like, ‘Ah, fix it and I’m the best’.

“I still want to definitely work at it and I’m sure there is still things I can improve, but this weekend has been the biggest anomaly of them all so far.”
another poor effort and worrying he doesn't seem to have any answers. he's really off the pace. loathe the monaco gp. worst circuit by a mile.

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone have recommendations for a good bar/sportsbar/pub to watch F1 at in Perth? Somewhere around Freo or the City. Looking to maybe organise something with some mates for the next race

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Probably record the race and start it on an hour delay, watch the first lap, skip to the pitstops and watch from there if anything changes from the top 5 :sweatsmile:

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Ricciardo baffled by Monaco mess: ‘I refuse to believe I’m that slow’
Daniel Ricciardo was left absolutely baffled in Monaco after another horror day saw him blown out of the water by his McLaren teammate.

There were always going to be teething problems in Daniel Ricciardo’s early days at McLaren but the Aussie and his new team are fast approaching crisis time after a disastrous qualifying result at the Monaco Grand Prix.
Ricciardo managed just the 12th fastest time at one of his fastest tracks and was once again far outperformed by teammate Lando Norris who qualified fifth behind pole-sitter Charles Leclerc of Ferrari.

‘I refuse to believe I’m that slow’

Ricciardo’s fastest lap of 1:11.598 was almost a full second slower than the time Norris laid down in the third qualifying session (1:10.620) and the Perth-born driver refused to believe he was solely responsible.

“I’m probably confused more than frustrated,” he said. “Obviously frustrated and upset, we know qualifying here is so big, but it’s probably got to a point where it’s not even the position now, it’s just we’ve been pretty much a second off all weekend.

“I’d like to say I’m just not confident or still need to learn the car but not a second, not around here.

“I’m certainly not being like, ‘Yeah, something is broken’, but I think we do have to have a look into maybe a bigger picture, because I refuse to believe I’m that slow around here.

“Obviously I’ve been around here with Max (Verstappen as teammate) — and I’m sure Lando’s fast — but I refuse to believe he’s a second quicker around here, and I don’t mean to say that against him.

“But just all weekend, even crossing the line a lot of laps I felt good, I was like that’s a good lap. And I think at one point I was 1.2 seconds slower than say what Lando had just done, so no answers at the moment.”

‘I’m sure the team will do a dig’

The 31-year-old didn’t believe Norris’ greater experience in the McLaren was the reason for his success either.

“I mean there is still a little bit of a difference in driving style and things like a bit of braking technique and that, and again even if I’m not optimising the car, I would still say OK maybe I’m two tenths slower or three tenths slower,” Ricciardo said.

“But the whole let’s say call it a second, I don’t know, it seems a lot. I’m not going to bury my head in the sand and be like, ‘Ah, fix it and I’m the best’.

“I still want to definitely work at it and I’m sure there is still things I can improve, but this weekend has been the biggest anomaly of them all so far.”
Tsnoda said he had a slower car much more succinctly

Aug 28, 2012
South Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NE Patriots, Manchester United
LeClerc's trips to Monaco are like a series of unfortunate events

2018: Brakes fail and he wipes out Hartley
2019: Eliminated in Q1 and gets a puncture after hitting Hulkenberg
2021: Qualifies on pole, only to crash at the end of Q3 and not even make the grid

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
Sky, really trying their best to get as much Lewis content on as they can. Just my opinion but on a course that is very much about the driver rather than the car he’s pretty crap around here but maybe that’s just my dislike of him and how much sky suck up to him.

Back