F1 Monaco GP: May 21st 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs are trumps

All Australian
Mar 23, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Its race weekend and the 5th track on the calendar for 2021 is picturesque Monaco! Its been 2 years since we last had a GP here. Tsunoda, Mazepin and Schumacher havent driven an F1 car around this circuit, and its been 3 years for Alonso since his last time around here.

monaco gp.jpg

Just like Spain there will be very little overtaking opportunities. Unlike Spain however, drivers get punished for almost any mistake with walls going the length of track. This circuit really separates the men from the boys. Hardly a moment to relax for entire 90 minutes worth of driving.

Just one DRS zone which isnt even the main place for an overtake, with the swimming pool chicane that comes out of the tunnel being the best place to make a move. Drivers also have the safety net of running through the corner with no repercussions if they are too late on the breaks.

Our own Dan Ricciardo has had some big moments at this track, and no-one could ever forget this disaster:

I still dont think ive seen a team before or after, bring their driver into the pits with no tyres ready. The fact it happened to an Australian underdog that was leading the race still pisses me off.

Anyway when Red Bull pit crew arent being s**t campaigners, the drivers themselves to do some pretty ridiculous stuff too:

Another team fu** up.
How do you not get him out in time to get to the line?
I reckon his push lap was the one before that where he had to basically stop next to the pit entry to let Lewis through, killed his sector 1 and so too his qually.

Think I'll go to bed instead of staying up for this now, his confidence must be shot ATM with this car.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extremely puzzled by Danny Ric, Monaco is his track and for him to be so far off the pace here something just isn't right there.

Ricciardo baffled by Monaco mess: ‘I refuse to believe I’m that slow’
Daniel Ricciardo was left absolutely baffled in Monaco after another horror day saw him blown out of the water by his McLaren teammate.

There were always going to be teething problems in Daniel Ricciardo’s early days at McLaren but the Aussie and his new team are fast approaching crisis time after a disastrous qualifying result at the Monaco Grand Prix.
Ricciardo managed just the 12th fastest time at one of his fastest tracks and was once again far outperformed by teammate Lando Norris who qualified fifth behind pole-sitter Charles Leclerc of Ferrari.

‘I refuse to believe I’m that slow’

Ricciardo’s fastest lap of 1:11.598 was almost a full second slower than the time Norris laid down in the third qualifying session (1:10.620) and the Perth-born driver refused to believe he was solely responsible.

“I’m probably confused more than frustrated,” he said. “Obviously frustrated and upset, we know qualifying here is so big, but it’s probably got to a point where it’s not even the position now, it’s just we’ve been pretty much a second off all weekend.

“I’d like to say I’m just not confident or still need to learn the car but not a second, not around here.

“I’m certainly not being like, ‘Yeah, something is broken’, but I think we do have to have a look into maybe a bigger picture, because I refuse to believe I’m that slow around here.

“Obviously I’ve been around here with Max (Verstappen as teammate) — and I’m sure Lando’s fast — but I refuse to believe he’s a second quicker around here, and I don’t mean to say that against him.

“But just all weekend, even crossing the line a lot of laps I felt good, I was like that’s a good lap. And I think at one point I was 1.2 seconds slower than say what Lando had just done, so no answers at the moment.”

‘I’m sure the team will do a dig’

The 31-year-old didn’t believe Norris’ greater experience in the McLaren was the reason for his success either.

“I mean there is still a little bit of a difference in driving style and things like a bit of braking technique and that, and again even if I’m not optimising the car, I would still say OK maybe I’m two tenths slower or three tenths slower,” Ricciardo said.

“But the whole let’s say call it a second, I don’t know, it seems a lot. I’m not going to bury my head in the sand and be like, ‘Ah, fix it and I’m the best’.

“I still want to definitely work at it and I’m sure there is still things I can improve, but this weekend has been the biggest anomaly of them all so far.”

Ricciardo baffled by Monaco mess: ‘I refuse to believe I’m that slow’
Daniel Ricciardo was left absolutely baffled in Monaco after another horror day saw him blown out of the water by his McLaren teammate.

There were always going to be teething problems in Daniel Ricciardo’s early days at McLaren but the Aussie and his new team are fast approaching crisis time after a disastrous qualifying result at the Monaco Grand Prix.
Ricciardo managed just the 12th fastest time at one of his fastest tracks and was once again far outperformed by teammate Lando Norris who qualified fifth behind pole-sitter Charles Leclerc of Ferrari.

‘I refuse to believe I’m that slow’

Ricciardo’s fastest lap of 1:11.598 was almost a full second slower than the time Norris laid down in the third qualifying session (1:10.620) and the Perth-born driver refused to believe he was solely responsible.

“I’m probably confused more than frustrated,” he said. “Obviously frustrated and upset, we know qualifying here is so big, but it’s probably got to a point where it’s not even the position now, it’s just we’ve been pretty much a second off all weekend.

“I’d like to say I’m just not confident or still need to learn the car but not a second, not around here.

“I’m certainly not being like, ‘Yeah, something is broken’, but I think we do have to have a look into maybe a bigger picture, because I refuse to believe I’m that slow around here.

“Obviously I’ve been around here with Max (Verstappen as teammate) — and I’m sure Lando’s fast — but I refuse to believe he’s a second quicker around here, and I don’t mean to say that against him.

“But just all weekend, even crossing the line a lot of laps I felt good, I was like that’s a good lap. And I think at one point I was 1.2 seconds slower than say what Lando had just done, so no answers at the moment.”

‘I’m sure the team will do a dig’

The 31-year-old didn’t believe Norris’ greater experience in the McLaren was the reason for his success either.

“I mean there is still a little bit of a difference in driving style and things like a bit of braking technique and that, and again even if I’m not optimising the car, I would still say OK maybe I’m two tenths slower or three tenths slower,” Ricciardo said.

“But the whole let’s say call it a second, I don’t know, it seems a lot. I’m not going to bury my head in the sand and be like, ‘Ah, fix it and I’m the best’.

“I still want to definitely work at it and I’m sure there is still things I can improve, but this weekend has been the biggest anomaly of them all so far.”
Only been done twice at Monaco in qually, 3-1 vs max here. No way he is a second off Norris

Remove this Banner Ad

Back