F1 Monaco GP: May 21st 2021

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On the reddit live thread it seemed like 10% to 15% of the comments were about how bad the race is, it should be scrapped, etc.

Obviously the people in charge of F1 this love the race for their own reasons, it won't be scrapped any time soon.

But if it continues to be a snoozefest for the next few years, how long until the fans start actively campaigning for change?

Dead set, we all knew who was 95% likely to win this race from about 30 seconds in.

And if it weren't Vercrashen in the lead, it would have been 98% confidence the guy in the lead on lap 1 would win.

I know the top brass of F1 enjoy hobnobbing with the elites at Monaco every year but for the sake of F1, will things ever change?

I doubt it.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
On the reddit live thread it seemed like 10% to 15% of the comments were about how bad the race is, it should be scrapped, etc.

Obviously the people in charge of F1 this love the race for their own reasons, it won't be scrapped any time soon.

But if it continues to be a snoozefest for the next few years, how long until the fans start actively campaigning for change?

Dead set, we all knew who was 95% likely to win this race from about 30 seconds in.

And if it weren't Vercrashen in the lead, it would have been 98% confidence the guy in the lead on lap 1 would win.

I know the top brass of F1 enjoy hobnobbing with the elites at Monaco every year but for the sake of F1, will things ever change?

I doubt it.
I think Monaco can still have a spot on the calendar if you get rid of some of the other dull races that dont have the same history (thinking Abu Dhabi or Sochi for example)

ptrg

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
Space Mountain
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Monaco can still have a spot on the calendar if you get rid of some of the other dull races that dont have the same history (thinking Abu Dhabi or Sochi for example)
At least Monaco has direct and severe consequences for getting it wrong (despite none of that happening last night), but those other two tracks are shithouse.
Zero speed or position loss for running off the track at pretty much every corner.
Just no risk vs reward. Monaco has its own problems (giant oversized cars clogging the track and dirtying the air being the main issue), but a track where drivers can effectively switch off like those other two are much much worse.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
The race itself is boring but at least qualification can mix the standings up. Seeing a Ferrari on top and Hamilton in 7th is a nice change from a Mercedes 1+2 pole. Hell even Ricciardo managed to get a victory here not so long ago.

Clubs are trumps

All Australian
Mar 23, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Watched the first 2 laps of this race then switched over to watch Jack Reacher on 7.

Monaco should give points for qualifying, then have a reverse grid order.

The HAM whinging on the radio was worth the price of admission alone :sweatsmile:
Seen MORE than enough of that over the years thankyou

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
I'm annoyed as I only got to watch pieces of this one. I wasn't thrilled by the McLaren livery.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

1989 AGP

Halfway through 2002 Belgian GP.
89 AGP was good.

Upset winner , wet conditions.
The one-and-only Satoru Nakajima in a career-best 4th

Watched that race at least 5 times on tape

Back