F1 Spanish Grand Prix - May 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm so ******* sick of "get in there Lewis"

'Tis the age of consent. Can't just get in there without being invited first.

the pitting late for an extra point still isnt a good look.

dont think red bull are really as close consistently as people want them to be. other than the first stint hamilton was way faster.
The car is around 0.5 seconds a lap slower. Verstappen is just the best driver on the grid and that's the reason it's closer.

Mercedes still a long way ahead of Red Bull, Red Bull closer, but I think you can call the world championship already, Max doing well to keep up with them as well as he has so far, but the Merc’s have a lot up their sleeve.

Hamilton have to drive in second gear instead of first this year. This will shine through later when engine usage starts to come into play.

Perez is a great driver but he needed to be in the mix this race so that Hamilton couldn't do that strategy.

Mercedes is such a dominant team and not just because of their lead driver or car, time after time their strategy wins races. Never really threatened during the first stint, Max seemed to have it under control, but being able to pull gaps from the competition meant they could gamble with the second stop and not lose position, and the gamble paid off handsomely.

Maybe it is indeed Max driving the wheels off a difficult car. You're right in that later this year when reliability comes into play that things can shake up a bit. I'm a Hamilton fan but it gets boring when he streaks off into the distance from lap 1.

I think the Mercedes is just a touch better than the Red Bull car wise. Great strategy to call Lewis in for that second stop too, but I reckon in straight fight Lewis would have had him anyway.

Nice drive Dan Ric. Held off two faster cars for many laps, but helped by the track.

Rubbish track of course. The main straight is not long enough for the DRS to take full effect on evenly matched cars. That second DRS zone does nothing in F1 being even shorter. Looking at the track layout there is no way they can change the DRS zones, there is nowhere else to put one.

the pitting late for an extra point still isnt a good look.

dont think red bull are really as close consistently as people want them to be. other than the first stint hamilton was way faster.
Big slight on Bottas. He's been way off it this season.

The car is around 0.5 seconds a lap slower. Verstappen is just the best driver on the grid and that's the reason it's closer.

The only way F1 could have been interesting this year is if Russell got the second seat at Mercedes.

But sadly politics means Russell is a back marker still.

How he doesn’t have a decent seat in 2021 is beyond me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masks are back on.

Yep, weird. Masks off for interviews then masks on the podium.

Anyway, certainly the most exciting Spanish GP since 2016. And another race proving this world championship will be Max vs Lewis, clear two best drivers at the moment, there is zero doubt about that. Monaco will hopefully be a classic, missed it last year.

I think it is time for Red Bull to fire Horner at the end of the season. New leadership blood is needed. Horner just has no answers for Toto's superior tactically nous.

The Red Bull is just not as fast as the Mercedes. Sacking their best people will make things worse. Red Bull and Max have good qualifying pace, but the Mercedes and Hamilton have better race pace over the longer distance.

I reckon Lewis would have had him either way today. He was just quicker, particularly when he switched off the softs onto the medium tyres.

You can't sack people for making the second best car on the grid, that's how you slide down the ladder to the middle of the pack. They can only hope to improve the car.

Interesting....so when Toto was complaining to Masi on the radio that they needed to give Mazepin blue flags as he was going to "make us lose the position"....

Looking at the onboard from HAM's car, he wasn't really within the 1.2seconds required for the Blue Flags that MERC was asking for, and when shown the Blue Flag Mazeepin moved over straight away....so Mazepin actually did nothing wrong in this instance

Interesting....so when Toto was complaining to Masi on the radio that they needed to give Mazepin blue flags as he was going to "make us lose the position"....

Looking at the onboard from HAM's car, he wasn't really within the 1.2seconds required for the Blue Flags that MERC was asking for, and when shown the Blue Flag Mazeepin moved over straight away....so Mazepin actually did nothing wrong in this instance

I honestly don't know why they even broadcast Mercedes radio communications, time after time its either Hamilton crying about something that within 3 laps magically disappears and he drives away from the field, or its someone crying over spilt milk before the Carton was even opened like this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back