F2 2022

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

'Australian racing drivers Jack Doohan and Calan Williams will feature in the 2022 Formula 2 Championship, following confirmation of the grid for the upcoming season.

Doohan will drive for Virtuosi Racing, whilst Williams is set to compete for Trident Racing.

Both Australians coming to the new F2 season as rookies.

Two drivers from neighbouring New Zealand will also take part, with Liam Lawson and Marcus Armstrong earning seats for 2022.'

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

F2 qualifying results​

1. Jack Doohan [Virtuosi] 1:40.542
2. Theo Pourchaire [ART Grand Prix] +0.141
3. Juri Vips [Hitech] +0.213
4. Logan Sargeant [Carlin] +0.218
5. Ralph Boschung [Campos] +0.458
6. Liam Lawson [Carlin] +0.558
7. Jehan Daruvala [PREMA] +0.573
8. Jake Hughes [Van Amersfoort] +0.579
9. Richard Verschoor [Trident] +0.636
10. Felipe Drugovich [MP Motorsport] +0.668
11. Roy Nissany [DAMS] +0.676
12. Calan Williams [Trident] +0.771
13. Marcus Armstrong [Hitech] +0.812
14. Marino Sato [Virtuosi] +0.832
15. Dennis Hauger [PREMA] +0.967
16. Enzo Fittipaldi [Charouz] +0.987
17. Olli Caldwell [Campos] +1.210
18. Clement Novalak [MP Motorsport] +1.323
19. Frederik Vesti [ART Grand Prix] +1.541
20. Cem Bolukbasi [Charouz] +1.547
21. Amaury Cordeel [Van Amersfoort] +2.338
22. Ayumu Iwasa [DAMS] No time

Plenty of the 2021 front runners returning for another try with Oscar Piastri no longer eligible.

About GPFans​

GPFans is a multi-platform, multi-language brand dedicated to Formula One coverage. We bring you all the ins and outs of the sport, 24/7, everything from up-to-the-minute news and features to the latest viral stories and clips.

Last edited:
Saudi qualifying
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Hauger in 11th and struggling makes Piastris season even better. Hauger has had more raps on him then anyone for a few seasons.

Might have gone a bit early here:

Doohan stripped of F2 Saudi Arabia qualifying times, loses P3 start​

This meant the Australian was stripped of all his times, dropping him to the back of the grid for both races.

Marcus Armstrong will now start from P3 in the feature race, with Dennis Hauger taking pole in the sprint for Prema Racing, as drivers who qualified behind Doohan move up a place on the grid.

In their report, the FIA said the team admitted to miscalculating the fuel load during the “unusual” session and said there was “no intent of wrong-doing involved.”

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Might have gone a bit early here:

Doohan stripped of F2 Saudi Arabia qualifying times, loses P3 start​

This meant the Australian was stripped of all his times, dropping him to the back of the grid for both races.

Marcus Armstrong will now start from P3 in the feature race, with Dennis Hauger taking pole in the sprint for Prema Racing, as drivers who qualified behind Doohan move up a place on the grid.

In their report, the FIA said the team admitted to miscalculating the fuel load during the “unusual” session and said there was “no intent of wrong-doing involved.”
Egg on my face

Full qualifying results for the third round of the 2022 FIA F2 Championship at Imola.
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Full qualifying results for the third round of the 2022 FIA F2 Championship at Imola.
FIA FORMULA 2 CHAMPIONSHIP - EMILIA ROMAGNA - QUALIFYING RESULTS
POSDRIVERNATTEAMTIME
1Juri VipsESTHitech Grand Prix1m40.221s
2Ayumu IwasaJPNDAMS1m40.378s
3Jack DoohanAUSUNI-Virtuosi Racing1m40.431s
4Ralph BoschungSUICampos Racing1m40.496s
5Dennis HaugerNORPrema Racing1m40.572s
6Roy NissanyISRDAMS1m40.621s
7Theo PourchaireFRAART Grand Prix1m40.862s
8Jehan DaruvalaINDPrema Racing1m40.886s
9Marcus ArmstrongNZLHitech Grand Prix1m41.004s
10Logan SargeantUSACarlin1m41.062s
11David BeckmannGERCharouz Racing System1m41.129s
12Felipe DrugovichBRAMP Motorsport1m41.131s
13Celment NovalakFRAMP Motorsport1m41.173s
14Liam LawsonNZLCarlin1m41.199s
15Enzo FittipaldiBRACharouz Racing System1m41.235s
16Frederik VestiDNKART Grand Prix1m41.434s
17Jake HughesGBRVan Amersfoort Racing1m41.520s
18Amaur CordeelBELVan Amersfoort Racing1m41.592s
19Richard VerschoorNEDTrident1m42.144s
20Calan WilliamsAUSTrident1m42.498s
21Olli CaldwellGBRCampos Racing1m42.954s
22Marino SatoJPNUNI-Virtuosi Racing1m43.311s

Nice to see Jack starting to build some consistency after a horror start to the season. Hopefully he can come home strong in the latter part of the year.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nice to see Jack starting to build some consistency after a horror start to the season. Hopefully he can come home strong in the latter part of the year.
He’s looking really racey, hasn’t seem to found his best over one lap yet though but he’s starting to put together a pretty solid debut season - should get some F1 experience with Alpine next year too, tough road to F1 without the money but who knows, he seems to be doing all the right things.

Who else do we have in the pipelines? James Wharton from Melbourne is getting some results in F4 - maybe a shot at an F3 seat next year hopefully?

He’s looking really racey, hasn’t seem to found his best over one lap yet though but he’s starting to put together a pretty solid debut season - should get some F1 experience with Alpine next year too, tough road to F1 without the money but who knows, he seems to be doing all the right things.

Who else do we have in the pipelines? James Wharton from Melbourne is getting some results in F4 - maybe a shot at an F3 seat next year hopefully?
He got pole earlier in the season (at Sakhir), but the race was a disaster (can't remember why). Was 3rd fastest at Imola. Pole again in Barcelona. Second in his group at Monaco. So I don't think one-lap pace is too much of an issue for him.

But yeah, I can't see him going far with the queue to get into F1. He'll get to go around in F2 again next year, so who knows?

I don't know much about the lower levels, I don't have the time to follow more than F1, F2 and MotoGP.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He got pole earlier in the season (at Sakhir), but the race was a disaster (can't remember why). Was 3rd fastest at Imola. Pole again in Barcelona. Second in his group at Monaco. So I don't think one-lap pace is too much of an issue for him.

But yeah, I can't see him going far with the queue to get into F1. He'll get to go around in F2 again next year, so who knows?

I don't know much about the lower levels, I don't have the time to follow more than F1, F2 and MotoGP.
Yeah don’t get me wrong he’s had some great quallys, just needs to find the consistency I guess to make sure he’s a threat for the front row most weeks.

I’m keen for this race tonight I think there’s a real opportunity to find some decent points and maybe even get on the podium especially if it’s wet

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
I wonder if we see a high driver turnover in F1 in the next 2-3 years and a bit of a youth influx happen.

Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas, maybe Magnussen as older drivers. Latifi as a not-up-to-it pay driver and maybe even Stroll eventually if he can't find some respectful results.

Would be nice to see a refreshing of the grid and some open slots for these young drivers to aspire to.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doohan too aggressive, could have easily just waited for a better opportunity was easily making up the ground on Pourchaire, ruined a really good points scoring opportunity for himself.

He’s quick though - should be a handy driver with some more experience

Doohan too aggressive, could have easily just waited for a better opportunity was easily making up the ground on Pourchaire, ruined a really good points scoring opportunity for himself.

He’s quick though - should be a handy driver with some more experience

Yeah, it's pretty clear that's what he's lacking. Tyre management and race-craft are all he's been missing so far. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

Makes you wonder just how good Piastri is/will-be, given his ability to go up a level and just be quick/smart from the get-go.

Goddamn, Doohan just can't take a trick. Drives the perfect mature tyre-management race in the sprint and wins easily under constant pressure from Vips, and then doesn't even get through lap 1 of the feature race.

He'd be so much higher in the standings this year with just a bit more luck :(

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Goddamn, Doohan just can't take a trick. Drives the perfect mature tyre-management race in the sprint and wins easily under constant pressure from Vips, and then doesn't even get through lap 1 of the feature race.

He'd be so much higher in the standings this year with just a bit more luck :(
The thing to hang on to is that those who are looking at him for the future understand that the hardware has a big part to play in results.

The thing to hang on to is that those who are looking at him for the future understand that the hardware has a big part to play in results.
Yeah true. And at the end of the day, he wasn't winning the F2 championship this year regardless. So he's proven he's quick, will go 'round in F2 again next year and might start to make a push toward F1 from there. Probably better for him anyway given the log jam for F1 spots.

Jack Doohan impressive lately and was looking at a top 2 finish today and moving into top 3 in the standings but got taken out from behind after a safety car restart

Back