FA Compo: What Gives?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not just scrap compensation picks? Or scrap free agency. Its essentially a trade because of the compensation picks and theyre too inconistent to make it fair and reasonable so just scrap them. Make a FREE agent FREE, might be the best way forward for mine.

Let's say for argument's sake that Fyfe and Walters are uncontracted and walk to other clubs. Freo's position would be parlous without compensation. In a non-traditional state, something like that might be enough to kill the club.

Richmond just won the flag, beats me why their supporters are so angry about this, i would like to think that they getting Tom Lynch for free as a F/A last had something to do with this outcome.

Regardless of how they came to it, well done AFL House for getting it right on and fair for a change 👍👍👍
Thread started by Blue Bagger...says we are mad!!

Let's say for argument's sake that Fyfe and Walters are uncontracted and walk to other clubs. Freo's position would be parlous without compensation. In a non-traditional state, something like that might be enough to kill the club.

Not if the AFL was smart (yeah i know) and actually changed the system to allow MORE player movement not less.

I'm actually happy to see Ellis go, but this is a bullshit decision by the AFL.

Just cos people think Ellis isn't worth that in a trade (though you're worth whatever the other club is willing to pay and if they are going to pay 600k for 5 years then they'd probably give up a half decent pick too) is completely irrelevant. You can't have a subjective system for valuing players.

We have an objective system that is based on salary, contract and age. Doesn't matter what draft pick they were or what they've done previously or what you THINK they'll do in the future.

And for that reason it's a bullshit decision. Just moving the goal posts as per usual. GD corrupt AFL strikes again.

Said this multiple times now, just abolish free agency and make trading or walking to the draft the only options. The real issue with free agency is how the incoming club doesn't have to lose a thing to get a top tier player. Dangerfield, Buddy, Lynch etc. all examples of deals that would have netted two Top 10 picks. Dangerfield was at least traded for something, but still below what he would have generated had free agency not existed.

All this 'restricted/unrestricted' free agency BS does is muddy the waters. Especially at a time when player movement while in contract is so constant and widespread, that free agency is pretty much irrelevant anyway (clubs are trading players out a year earlier whilst in contract, to avoid this scenario).

It looks like Richmond are unlucky based on precedent however how does anyone know if Ellis is getting more/the same as Lycett? (Jon Ralph is saying Ellis is getting more)

Lycett left on a very substantial deal.

Scrapping FA compo means GCS never get there pick 2 or what ever it was for Lynch, it means all the bottom clubs will continue to be s**t when there players get pillaged and they receive jack s**t in return.

Bigfooty really doesn't think these things through properly.

AFL house has been doing everything in its power to make this the most equal league possible, s**t clubs get propped up time and time again, scrapping FA compensation would be the death of the bottom clubs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Buddy for 19 is the biggest rort. Using that as a measuring stick, every single compo pick ever has been way overs
We should of matched it and just taken a late first rounder for the best forward in the game. Considering Dale Thomas got pick 10

Would be restricted free agents. Means they can match the bid and then negotiate a trade if the player still wishes to leave

Scott Lycett takes a 5 year 600k a year deal and the Eagles get an end of first round pick. Motlop takes a 4 year, 550k a year deal and the Cats get an end of first.

Today Brandon Ellis takes 5 years for 600k a year and the Tigers get pick 39. Cam Ellis Yolmen who has played 39 games in 8 years nets the Crows pick 46.

WTF? If you’re going to have compensation which I think is ridiculous (but that’s for another thread), how about some consistency in how it is awarded?

The Ellis one is just one example. There’s been other examples of the AFl clearly making it up as they go. The pick the Cats got couldn’t have been a more blatant move by the AFL to allow the Cats to get Ablett back.

Never seen a sports league make up things as they go like the AFL does. It’s so unprofessional.

It’s the AFL. They make it up as they go along and they answer to nobody.

Not sure why people are still surprised by it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compensation doesn't work when you lose Franklin for 19, and lose Frawley for a top 5 pick.
I reckon that's the perfect example of how the free agency system does work.

A team that's recently won a premiership and still well and truly in their window don't need a top 5 draft pick... whereas a team at the bottom of the ladder losing their best player almost certainly do.

Never seen a sports league make up things as they go like the AFL does. It’s so unprofessional.

Yeah it’s nuts. FA comp, draft assistance, the draw etc. all freeballed. And Aussies are so damn compliant they just let it happen, like all the stupid regulations they allow government to enforce on people’s lives.

Out of your examples though, Ellis is the one they got most right, so Tigers fans haven’t much to whinge about. Eagles & Cats get away with highway robbery and the Hawks got totally stiffed with Buddy.

The competition is contaminated by the actions of management. I don’t know how many years it will before we can have a genuinely contested premiership again. Maybe a dozen years after Gil and his cronies leave.

I reckon that's the perfect example of how the free agency system does work.

A team that's recently won a premiership and still well and truly in their window don't need a top 5 draft pick... whereas a team at the bottom of the ladder losing their best player almost certainly do.
There shouldn't be any compensation picks. FA is about player movement. Compo picks disadvantage every other club not involved in the transaction by pushing them down the draft order.

Richmond just won the flag, beats me why their supporters are so angry about this, i would like to think that they getting Tom Lynch for free as a F/A last had something to do with this outcome.

Regardless of how they came to it, well done AFL House for getting it right on and fair for a change 👍👍👍

due to the system being amateur and ridiculous. Im very happy to have brando off the books but the fact remains richmond have been screwed under the rules.

No compensation is the only fair way of doing it, NBA style.

Scott Lycett takes a 5 year 600k a year deal and the Eagles get an end of first round pick. Motlop takes a 4 year, 550k a year deal and the Cats get an end of first.

Today Brandon Ellis takes 5 years for 600k a year and the Tigers get pick 39. Cam Ellis Yolmen who has played 39 games in 8 years nets the Crows pick 46.

WTF? If you’re going to have compensation which I think is ridiculous (but that’s for another thread), how about some consistency in how it is awarded?

The Ellis one is just one example. There’s been other examples of the AFl clearly making it up as they go. The pick the Cats got couldn’t have been a more blatant move by the AFL to allow the Cats to get Ablett back.

FIFA could learnt a few tricks from the AFL

It's base salary only, incentive payments not included. Unless the contracts are made transparent nobody would know how accurate the media reports are.

and how much has the average wage gone up.. One would have thought he would get into the top15% of paid players 25 and over which is required for end of R1.. but perhaps he doesn't as a base contract.

Gale has a whinge about Ellis compo bid .... what a joke. Does he whinge about playing too many games at the same ground!

The games at the G is only a recent issue and does not relate to the discussion. The tigers had to sell home games when they were pathetic. I’m glad I don’t support a club that has to continue to do this.

PS: Kennett is a far more vocal whiny campaigner

End of first round compensation makes no sence.

Why should a team get the same compensation for losing Dustin Martin as they would for a player slightly better than Ellis.

Compensation should alway been tied to ladder position.

It is a joke Tigers are complaining about a system that gave them Lynch for free and played abig part in them winning a premiership. They were complaining when they were overcompensated for Vickery.

If Buddy is worth 19 then Ellis is worth about the very last pick in the draft....
Think we would all agree!

But this is about consistent in 3 similar recent cases.

Geelong(Motlop) get a leg up, WCE(Lycett) get appropriate recompense, Richmond(Ellis) get ripped off.

This pattern is relentless nowwith the AFL.

Ive posted elsewhere, the only person who can do anything about this is Brandon himself. He must demand that his right to FA not be used as a punitive tool against his former club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back