FA Cup 2019/20

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll tell you what, I'd happily have all the congestion you've had if it meant a European Cup, subsequent CWC and a long league cup run.
I think the arguments around removing the league cup and FA Cup early round replays isn't right.

Lower league clubs need these fixtures sometimes for valuable revenue.

Agreed, but I also don’t want our players getting injured unnecessarily because they’re being overworked. If Klopp and the fitness team think this replay will mess with their plans for player workload and stretch the rubber band too far then I don’t have a problem with him fielding a weakened team as he’s done on a few occasions this season. Him not sitting in the dugout is petty though.

Only thing it hurts is Liverpool. Klopp would be silly to throw away an FA cup run and a chance at the treble considering the league is basically locked in. Imagine resting players when 19 points up in the league with 13 games to go. What are they resting for?

Have you heard of the Champions League?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue isn't Liverpool fielding a weakened side, it is that Jurgen Klopp saying he isn't going to be there, seems real petulant by him, real disrespectful to Shrewsbury.

Same. Regardless of the line up, he should be there. Smacks of an “I’m too good for this” type of mentality from Klopp, which is quite surprising and unfamiliar from him otherwise.

Untitled.jpg

I'll tell you what, I'd happily have all the congestion you've had if it meant a European Cup, subsequent CWC and a long league cup run.
I think the arguments around removing the league cup and FA Cup early round replays isn't right.

Lower league clubs need these fixtures sometimes for valuable revenue.
Then the FA should always schedule the game at the lower league team's ground. Sorted.

Tbf, if Liverpool fielded a top side at Shrewsbury, there would be no replay on Merseyside. So this is an opportunity of a lifetime for those players to play on a historic ground, whether it’s against Liverpool best or a youth team. Yes, it sucks that the Shrewsbury manager won’t be pitted against Klopp but the players get to play on a ground they otherwise wouldn’t have if Liverpool chose a top side on the weekend.

Tbf, if Liverpool fielded a top side at Shrewsbury, there would be no replay on Merseyside. So this is an opportunity of a lifetime for those players to play on a historic ground, whether it’s against Liverpool best or a youth team. Yes, it sucks that the Shrewsbury manager won’t be pitted against Klopp but the players get to play on a ground they otherwise wouldn’t have if Liverpool chose a top side on the weekend.

I don't think anyone has an issue with Pool rotating, it's Klopp's meltdown afterwards and refusing to manage the side in the replay that is pretty embarrassing.

Sounds like the magic of the cup is no longer about giant killing but instead forcing a replay in order to maximise the money you make.

I think the magic of the cup is getting a result against one of the best sides in the world, be that win or draw. And considering Liverpool only had one domestic draw (and a loss against Villa I guess), it's still a pretty significant result for them.

I don't think anyone has an issue with Pool rotating, it's Klopp's meltdown afterwards and refusing to manage the side in the replay that is pretty embarrassing.

I think the magic of the cup is getting a result against one of the best sides in the world, be that win or draw. And considering Liverpool only had one domestic draw (and a loss against Villa I guess), it's still a pretty significant result for them.

It’s a brilliant result for Shrewsbury and I haven’t said otherwise. In fact I wasn’t even talking about any specific game, more of a broader point that replays seem to be of more value to lower league sides than winning and I’m not sure if that’s “what the cup is all about”.

It’s a brilliant result for Shrewsbury and I haven’t said otherwise. In fact I wasn’t even talking about any specific game, more of a broader point that replays seem to be of more value to lower league sides than winning and I’m not sure if that’s “what the cup is all about”.

If the first leg was at the bigger clubs stadium the replay wouldn't be as big value. It's the day out at the Emirates/Etihad/Anfield that is the big draw, it's why you see clubs celebrate getting drawn in a game they'll likely be thrashed in. The result is irrelevant. That's still part of the 'magic of the cup' to me.

I know if we'd drawn Preston at home instead of Chelsea there would have been a quarter of the people at the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back