List Mgmt. FA & trade wash up, what list spots & draft picks do we have?

Remove this Banner Ad

FREE AGENCY:

OUT: Brown
IN: Wells, Mayne

TRADES:

Witts -> 44, 62
Cloke -> 76
2017 2nd round -> Hoskin-Elliott
Williams -> 105
Frost, 76 (Cloke), 2017 CFC 3rd round -> 2017 BL 3rd round, 2017 BL 4th round
47 -> Dunn, 51

OUT: Witts, Cloke, Williams, Frost
IN: Dunn, Hoskin-Elliott

DRAFT PICKS:

2016 - 28, 44, 47, 51, 62, 65, 76, 83, 101, 105
2017 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd BL, 3rd CFC, 4th BL, 4th CFC, 5th...

Note: for those with tapatalk we no longer hold 47, 76, 2017 CFC 2nd + 3rd

LIST SPOTS:

SENIOR

30.) Swan -> Wells
31.) Macaffer -> Mayne
32.) Brown -> Dunn
33.) Goodyear -> Hoskin-Elliott
34.) Frost -> Keeffe (rookie upgrade)
35.) Williams -> Smith (rookie upgrade)
36.) Cloke -> pick 28
37.) Witts -> pick 44
38.) Toovey -> pick 51
39.) Marsh -> pick 62
40.) pick 65

ROOKIES

R1.) Thomas
R2.) Smith (rookie upgrade)
R3.) Keeffe (rookie upgrade)
R4.) Golds
If senior list of 39 - R5.) Gault
If senior list of 38 - R6.)

Cat B 1.) Cox
Cat B 2.) Wyatt

BABYLOVE's SUMMARY:

[Mod Edit] Babylove 's summary inserted below ... Her post can be found here if you want to reply to it [/mod edit]

So I've done a more analytical study of our off season to date.

Age Profile
A big talking point was the age of our recruits, so I thought I'd do an age profile analysis (including rookies). For the purposes of this exercise I have excluded Macaffer, Toovey, Swan, Goodyear, Golds and Wyatt as they had departed the club prior to trade week, and have included Marsh and Gault as they have not officially left the club. Also all ages are based on a players age as at 1st March 2017.

Prior to the trade period we had:
13 players 22 & Under
15 players 23 to 25
7 players 26 to 28
4 players over 28

Our average age was 24.175
Our average games played was 69.325

Total of 39 senior and rookie listed players (35 senior and 4 rookies (including Gault as rookie))

After the trade period we have:
13 players 22 & Under
12 players 23 to 25
7 players 26 to 28
5 players over 28

Our average age was 24.333
Our average games played was 73.513

Total of 37 senior and rookie listed players (33 senior and 4 rookies (including Gault as rookie))

Draft Pick Analysis
Given that points is a talking point for us given our two father son selections so I have utilised this to value our draft picks.

Prior to the trade period (including movements for compensations) we had:
26, 44, 62, 80, 98, 116 totalling 1214 points

After the trade period (including movements for compensations) we have:
28, 44, 51, 62, 65, 83, 101, 105, 119 totalling 1511 points

The trades from an accountant's perspective
[mod edit]Reminder: this is from Babylove [/mod edit]

Travis Cloke - Like most was disappointed with pick 76, however let's look at the market. Sam Mitchell aged 34, best and fairest for Hawthorn 2016 got pick 88 (essentially). Jordan Lewis aged 29, best and fairest for Hawthorn 2016 got a pick in the sixties. Travis Cloke has was dropped 3 times, played 13 games, with scratchy form, and his form was only marginally better in 2015. He is the same age as Lewis, so based on the market this 76 is probably about right.

Marley Williams - Again the pick we got back was terribly disappointing. But we made no secret of the fact that he was unlikely to receive a contract if he didn't get traded. That put his value at about 0 given that clubs could wait until DFA if necessary. Unsure what happened here, but Williams lost the faith of the coaches and list managers in 2016, was that due to on field or off field issues?

Witts and Frost - I put these two together as I felt the compensation they received was about fair given they were essentially depth & VFL players for us this year.

Wells & Mayne - The length of contract is what was contentious for these two (note I will not analyse salary figures as the figures being bandied about are guesses, not definite). However the trend this year was that players were moving or staying for longer contracts rather money as the deciding factor. Lewis said yes to Melbourne because they offered him a 3rd year, which he openly stated. Frost went to Brisbane because they were willing to offer 3 years. And for us Wells and Mayne were attracted to us as due to the 3 and 4 years we were prepared to offer.

Hoskin-Elliott - Hard to get a value on WHE. Didn't play this year, but was a high draft pick playing in a deep team and had a year to run on his contract. For future recruiting endeavours, I would rather get this done rather than be in Adelaide's position with Gibbs. Surely players would think twice about a club who would get a player to commit but then not get them across the line.

Where our list currently sits
Senior Outs (confirmed only): Swan, Macaffer, Toovey, Goodyear, Brown, Cloke, Williams, Witts Frost
EDIT: Marsh (retired 9 Nov)​
Rookie Outs: Golds, Wyatt
EDIT: Gault (retired 28 Oct), Keeffe, Smith (upgraded 31 Oct)​

Senior Ins (confirmed only): Wells, Mayne, Hoskin-Elliott, Dunn
EDIT: Keeffe, Smith (upgraded 31 Oct)​
Rookie Ins: Nil

Senior List: 35
Rookie List: 1 (A), 1 (B)

Key Dates
DFA 1 - 1st November to 8th November
DFA 2 - 10th November to 18th November
DFA 3 - 26 November to 27th November
National Draft - 25th November
Pre-Season & Rookie Draft - 28th November
Training commences 1-4 year players - 7th November
Training commences 5+ year players - 21st November

[Mod Edit] Babylove 's final thoughts removed for brevity ... Her post with it can be found here [/mod edit]

UNKNOWN IDENTITY's DEPTH CHART:

[mod edit]Added link to Unknown Identity 's depth chart below. His post including discussion can be found here [/mod edit]

View attachment 303401

Last edited:
I think it's unlikely any of Smith, Keeffe, Thomas and Cox are upgraded onto the senior list before the draft otherwise we burn points and may have to go into deficient to match father son bids. If Brown and Daicos are both selected we'll have 4 live draft selections, although I suspect we won't use them all with some list spots saved for later rookie upgrades or preseason promotions.

Last edited:

Absolute debacle. Time for a FD clean out me thinks.

Hine should go back to scouting full time. Anyone could broker better deals than what we've seen over the last two years, hell, get Eddie to do it. He at least seems to want us to succeed.

I'll get over it but s**t they make it hard for us supporters to applaud what they're doing.

FREE AGENCY

OUT: Brown
IN: Wells, Mayne

TRADES:

Witts -> 44, 62
Cloke -> 76
2017 2nd round -> Hoskin-Elliott
Williams -> 105
Frost, 76 (Cloke), 2017 CFC 3rd round -> 2017 BL 3rd round, 2017 BL 4th round
47 -> Dunn, 51

OUT: Witts, Cloke, Williams, Frost
IN: Dunn, Hoskin-Elliott

DRAFT PICKS:

2016 - 28, 44, 47, 51, 62, 65, 76, 83, 101, 105
2017 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd BL, 3rd CFC, 4th BL, 4th CFC, 5th...

LIST SPOTS:

SENIOR

32.) Swan -> Wells
33.) Macaffer -> Mayne
34.) Brown -> Dunn
35.) Goodyear -> Hoskin-Elliott
36.) Cloke -> pick 28
37.) Witts -> pick 44
38.) Frost -> pick 47
39.) Williams -> pick 51
40.) pick 62

ROOKIES

R1.) Keeffe
R2.) Thomas
R3.) Smith
R4.) Golds
If senior list of 39 - R5.) Gault
If senior list of 38 - R6.)

Cat B 1.) Cox
Cat B 2.) Wyatt

You've got #47 crossed out but then using it on our #38th list spot?
Is this a typo?

Hard to get excited by our trade activity. Sure we got rid of plenty of spuds, but we didn't bring in much of the way of young elite talent.

Wells could offer something but is 32 and injury prone. WHE fits the list profile and was highly rated but has never delivered, and could not get a game at a top 4 club all year. Seems playing well in the NEAFL is our benchmark.

I wont get started on Dunn and Mayne.

So all we have left is pick 28 and 44 to bring in some talent and a couple of FS prospect who are probably way overated.

Looks like 2017 is another year just like the last few.

At least we can look forward to Bucks finishing up.

So going off the above we essentially gave up Cloke and Frost for a future 4th round pick?

Two guys who were best 22 at start of the 2016 season?

#Ouch

Absolute debacle. Time for a FD clean out me thinks.

Hine should go back to scouting full time. Anyone could broker better deals than what we've seen over the last two years, hell, get Eddie to do it. He at least seems to want us to succeed.

I'll get over it but s**t they make it hard for us supporters to applaud what they're doing.

People Said Allan was doing the Deals not Hine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underwhelming trade period for us. WHE potentially could add something to the list. Not sure how much football we get out of Wells, 3 years is to much. Mayne (meh). I sure hope we are lining up a big free agency fish next year.

We did quite Well with what Happened Last year with Aish and Treloar. We did not have a Ton to play with.

Wells could be good for a Year or 2.

Mayne I think can help fix our Forward Pressure

WHE can be Anything. He could be a Superstar IF we can get him Fit. Feels a Need on the List. Player With Pace and X-Factor

Dunn is pretty much come in to help give the Backline Depth after Losing Brown,Frost and Williams.

I am bit sad we gave Williams and Cloke away.

We did quite Well with what Happened Last year with Aish and Treloar. We did not have a Ton to play with.

Wells could be good for a Year or 2.

Mayne I think can help fix our Forward Pressure

WHE can be Anything. He could be a Superstar IF we can get him Fit. Feels a Need on the List. Player With Pace and X-Factor

Dunn is pretty much come in to help give the Backline Depth after Losing Brown,Frost and Williams.

I am bit sad we gave Williams and Cloke away.

List spots swapped:
32.) Swan -> Wells
33.) Cloke -> Mayne
34.) Brown -> Dunn
35.) Macaffer -> Hoskin-Elliott
36.) Witts -> pick 28
37.) Williams -> pick 44 (Brown)
38.) Frost -> pick 51 (Daicos)
39.) Goodyear -> pick 62
40.) pick 65

This is the best way to look at it so far, forget who went for what and why, it is about who is switching spots on the list and whether that is an improvement. Also column A is likely to have been on a lot more dollars than column B which is important for next years FA bonanza shoot out.

It is very hard to say anyone in column A would be definite best 22 (given Swan has one leg now) or had a lot of future potential left in them. I do have a bad feeling Witts will be the one that will break out & do something that we regret.

I would say Wells, Mayne & WHE will all feature as best 22 players next year. Dunn adds little more than Frost & Brown.

If we do not get Daicos & Brown after all this I will be most devastated, as they add that future potential. I hope we do not have to use the 28 on them and that can be another quality exciting kid to add.

The only other thing to note is our 2nd rounder went back to a 3rd rounder for 2017.

Looking at this it doesn't seem as bad as I first thought. Thanks for doing the summary.

Brisbane being bottom 4 next year (Hopefully they get the spoon) would make the 2017 draft ok too.
I'll be cheering every Brisbane loss even more so next year and it does some what compensate for trading away our 2017 second round pick. One thing for sure we need to finish above them to get maximum value from the Frost deal.

I could of stomached all this s**t if we at least improved our position in the draft to a respectable level.

Swap a few later picks for a higher one, maybe actually get a decent return for promising young players... but nope.

Yeah same here. 2016 is pretty much irrelevant to us unless we can find a few diamonds in the rough. Hoped we would have better picks but got a fire sale instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back