Preview FACE OFF: Adelaide Crows v Brisbane Lions. Round 16, Saturday 3rd of July, 2021. Adelaide Oval, 4.05pm (ACST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
Adelaide Crows v Brisbane Lions. Round 16, Saturday 3rd of July, 2021. Adelaide Oval, 4.05pm (ACST)

Weather
for Adelaide at this stage: high chance showers, moderate winds and a predicted max of 13.

Fasten your safety belts.
The Crows have shown some positive signs this season beating the highly fancied Cats and the in form Melbourne Demons, while being competitive in most other games, with the exception being the one versus GWS. Despite these positive signs there have unfortunately been some worrying signs. There are patches where a side gets a run on against the Crows and the Crows seem powerless to stop the haemorrhaging. This was certainly evident in the second quarter against Carlton. If the Crows could have limited Carlton then, they would have been a chance. Clearly there is much more work to do and new players need to be unearthed.
1625037261978.png

The challenge. Make no mistake about it, we are coming up against a quality, red hot, form team, this Saturday. The skipper Dayne Zorko has been back in the middle for them over the past couple of weeks giving them some hardness and leadership while we may be loosing our captain and a somewhat similar player and hard nut in Sloane due to a finger injury. Add to their midfield mix the accumulator Brownlow medalist Lachie Neale and ex Crow Jarryd Lyons, and there is a hardened and experienced midfield, especially when one considers they can even push a Charlie Cameron through there for very short bursts just to mix things up and give some added explosiveness. Add the wingman Hugh McCluggage who is competing with our Paul Seedsman for all Australian honours. Down back is the very tall, intercepting and agile multiple all Australian fullback, Harris Andrews and the very creative Daniel Rich with his penetrating and devastating left foot kicks. Joe Daniher, the hipster Hipwood and Charlie Cameron up forward combine with a balanced team of contributors all over the ground, well coached by Chris Fagan. Here we have a team who are worthy contenders to be this years AFL premiers.
1625037296436.png

Are we now Prepper’s? I am not talking WW3, peal oil, the next economic collapse, environmental disaster or a post apocalyptic world, but 2022 (and who knows what next year will bring). I believe our eye has been on this for a while. Getting Talia, Lynch and Crouch right (if all three stay), along with the season ending injured players in Milera and Hinge will give us a nice blend of youth and experience. Now that any hope of making the 8 is gone and with Sloane a possibility to miss a fair bit, I believe we really need to concentrate on developing the younger players and getting set for next year. If we can limit injuries we should have a nice blend of youth and experience come 2022. The two big areas as as I see it is a second key tall down back and a larger, quality, genuine midfielder. Milera should give us some x factor, evasion and explosiveness in the centre, but the bigger, quality mid probably has to come in by means of a trade or free agency. Worrell showed a bit when sent back to the SANFL last week and the big fish McAsey needs to be quickly groomed.
My preference is for McAsey who should be able to complement Butts nicely. Up forward still needs tweaking. Fogarty has been given a block of games now. I still think Himmelberg might be the better option and should be given another block of games. Fog can bide his time and eventually be Walker's replacement. In short, we need to and probably are prepping for next year and injuries permitting we should eye an attack on the top four as our goal for 2022.
1625037352398.png

Are we up to it? Even though at home (COVID permitting), and despite having taken a couple of big scalps in Geelong and Melbourne, being on the rebound and Brisbane struggling a bit recently against North Melbourne in Tasmania, I do not think we are a snowflakes chance in hell of beating one of the emerging favourites for this year's flag. Brisbane by a fair bit (30 plus). Having said that, showing some fight, developing players and minimalizing those bleeding frustrating reckless turnovers would be nice. Perhaps if wet we will try and turn the game into a scrap and attempt to win ugly. I think they have too many contested ball winners for that. Miracles are very much the exception. Lets hope its our turn Saturday. We will need it!
1625037384433.png

Attachments

• 1625037334737.png
    1625037334737.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
My instant reaction is if the game goes ahead wherever we’re going to get steamrolled, except we bitch slapped Geelong and Melbourne. So there’s a stupid part of me that thinks, we could win this. A very stupid part.

Geelong & Melbourne have a tendency to play like millionaires and sook it up hard when things don’t go their way... I watch Brisbane, & I think Jarryd Lyons is playing his 150th after signing until 2024 (no word on $$$) and I see a lot less sooking and way more winning at the minute.

Still can’t bet on this game

And what it’s in Ballarat now? But we can still host it?

I commend the VFL for having a semblance of a plan this year

2022: aim for top 8.

2021 round 16 and for the rest of the season: aim for bottom 4.

So...go Lions!!

But seriously, just want to see us compete up until the end, which we’ve been doing pretty well in recent times. Wins and margins are pretty irrelevant at this stage.

Me - Hopefully we give Brisbane the 4 points and a great percentage booster to make it more difficult for Port with that pathetic fixture, to be ushered into the top 2.

It would kill two birds with the one stone. We get a better draft pick and Port are kept away from top 2. :)

Also me - Go you Crows! Do what you did to Geelong and Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane by 70, I hate to bet against the boys but with the loss of home ground advantage as well this may not be pretty.
Ballarat in July must be close to the coldest ground in Australia. A "hypothermia cup" match might be closer than you think, the team from the Sunshine State will think they are in Antarctica.

I just want to give Schoenberg all of Sloanes CBA's and for Tex to kick another bag (or more specifically a bigger bag then Harry McKay kicks).

Do we know when they are going to make a final call on the venue/crowd etc? Will there be an announcement today at some stage?

this is all i can find, probably hear something tomorrow after daily Covid numbers are released

"The AFL will play the Crows-Brisbane game at Adelaide Oval on Saturday unless there is a South Australian lockdown or border closure in the coming days.
SA’s two clubs flew to Melbourne on the same chartered flight on Wednesday night after the league ordered them to flee SA as a precautionary measure due to the state recording five new Covid cases.

The league wants the Crows-Lions match to remain in Adelaide with a crowd but it will be moved to Victoria if SA case numbers climb in the next 24 to 48 hours and the State Government locks Adelaide down or the border is shut."

Like every game this season all I want to see are the young ones giving their all and gaining more experience for the future. Winning/ losing, margin irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back