Preview Face/Off - Adelaide @ Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

But that's the thing. Last time we had Watts and TMac up forward from the third term and it took TMac kicking the opening two goals of the third term to move Talia to him. Now, that did shut him down, but you also didn't have Hogan to deal with. Does Hartigan go to Hoges? If so, then does Lever or Kelly go to Watts? I'm genuinely intrigued.
Hartigan won't. He's out for a month.

Hartigan won't. He's out for a month.
f9e.gif

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-11_14-47-24.png
    upload_2017-7-11_14-47-24.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 5
But that's the thing. Last time we had Watts and TMac up forward from the third term and it took TMac kicking the opening two goals of the third term to move Talia to him. Now, that did shut him down, but you also didn't have Hogan to deal with. Does Hartigan go to Hoges? If so, then does Lever or Kelly go to Watts? I'm genuinely intrigued.

Hartigan is dead.

Otten will go to TMac, Talia to Hogan, Kelly to Watts, Brown to Gartlett, Smith to Harmes. Lever won't have a direct man.

Hartigan is dead.

Otten will go to TMac, Talia to Hogan, Kelly to Watts, Brown to Gartlett, Smith to Harmes. Lever won't have a direct man.

Cheers.

And I expect Lever will have a direct man - welcome to the Melksham forward tag.

I'll play!
  1. Devon Smith 3.0
  2. Breust 4.1
  3. Wines/Wingard/Gray 2 goals each
  4. Tippa 4.0
  5. Ah Chee 5.0
  6. Richmond suck
  7. Dumont/Cunnington/Higgins 2 goals each
  8. Garlett/Bugg/KENT (fmd) 2 goals each
  9. Zorko/Barrett 2 goals each
  10. Freo real bad
  11. Dangerfield/Menzel 3 goals each
  12. Saints real bad
  13. Burton/Henderson 2 goals each (seriously htf does that happen)
  14. Carlton didn't try and score so it doesn't count
  15. Dogs real bad
hiding-head-in-sand-620x250.jpg.jpg

Which of those games we lost? 6 goals for Geelong across two players who are exceptionally talented, 6 goals for Melbourne across three players, and 6 goals for North also across three players. The ones you quoted for Hawthorn are a wingman and backman. Otherwise what really was the impact overall in the rest? Loses for their team is what their impact was.

Won't matter too much, the ball won't get there with Jones and Viney out.

Won't matter too much, the ball won't get there with Jones and Viney out.
Clayton Oliver says don't ******* touch him and don't ******* ignore him either

Cheers.

And I expect Lever will have a direct man - welcome to the Melksham forward tag.

Then you can't be using the "blueprint" TM because if you are setting up a loose man in our forward line it means there is a loose man for us in your forward line - come on down Andy Otten or Jake Lever.

Then you can't be using the "blueprint" TM because if you are setting up a loose man in our forward line it means there is a loose man for us in your forward line - come on down Andy Otten or Jake Lever.
We normally run the eight- or nine-man backline only for the centre clearances, it generally shifts once the ball is bounced. But even so, that's not a loose man, that's assuming a 6-man forward line.

Right now I'm expecting:

B: Jetta Oscar Hibberd
HB: Smith Frost Wagner
C: Hunt Tyson Lewis
HF: Watts Hogan Melksham
F: Garlett TMac Kent
R: Gawn Oliver Vince
Int: Petracca Harmes ANB Hannan

Something along those lines.

Actually, now that I think about it, Melksham might go to Laird. Either way it'll be interesting.

A lot of possies, no real hurt factor though.
His hurt factor isn't noticeable because so much of it is inside work. He racks up handballs like no tomorrow but they're effective. Went at 79% on Sunday - only midfielder more effective on the stat sheet was Zac Fisher who only had ten touches (and went at 80% for those 10). 29 touches, 15 contested, 6 clearances at 79% is the definition of damaging as an inside bull, there's a reason he's in AA discussions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His hurt factor isn't noticeable because so much of it is inside work. He racks up handballs like no tomorrow but they're effective. Went at 79% on Sunday - only midfielder more effective on the stat sheet was Zac Fisher who only had ten touches (and went at 80% for those 10). 29 touches, 15 contested, 6 clearances at 79% is the definition of damaging as an inside bull, there's a reason he's in AA discussions.
Sure, I'm sure he'll be good one day. He's in conversations due to Shineynewtoyitis from the Vic media. He's still behind, Bont, Zerret, Cripps, Kelly in the hot new things list.

Sure, I'm sure he'll be good one day. He's in conversations due to Shineynewtoyitis from the Vic media. He's still behind, Bont, Zerret, Cripps, Kelly in the hot new things list.
Oliver's rankings across the AFL:
- 8th for total goal assists
- 9th in total disposals
- 8th in tackles
- 7th in total clearances
- 2nd for contested possessions

By 'hot new thing' you mean 'elite at 19 after 30 games' right?

Oliver's rankings across the AFL:
- 8th for total goal assists
- 9th in total disposals
- 8th in tackles
- 7th in total clearances
- 2nd for contested possessions

By 'hot new thing' you mean 'elite at 19 after 30 games' right?
He's ok, I just don't feel it with him. Solid bit player may blossom, no guarantee that he's not the next Daniel Rich though.

He's ok, I just don't feel it with him. Solid bit player may blossom, no guarantee that he's not the next Daniel Rich though.
He's the best young midfielder I've ever seen at Melbourne. Seriously. He'll be better than Petracca in terms of consistent output.

He's still got some things to learn - bursting clear from the contest, balancing the use of his feet over his hands - and struggles to have a consistent impact over four quarters at times. But when he goes nuts, he goes nuts. Against West Coast, he had eight touches in the first half and finished on 28 come the end. He's a freak of the highest order.

He's the best young midfielder I've ever seen at Melbourne. Seriously. He'll be better than Petracca in terms of consistent output.

He's still got some things to learn - bursting clear from the contest, balancing the use of his feet over his hands - and struggles to have a consistent impact over four quarters at times. But when he goes nuts, he goes nuts. Against West Coast, he had eight touches in the first half and finished on 28 come the end. He's a freak of the highest order.

I'm not saying that he's bad by any stretch, he just doesn't scare me in the middle, we don't like the tough stuff and we've seen how quickly he drops.
I really like Petracca, oozes skill and class but never seems to be in the center (I casually watch your games, so maybe I miss), what's up with that?

I'm not saying that he's bad by any stretch, he just doesn't scare me in the middle, we don't like the tough stuff and we've seen how quickly he drops.
I really like Petracca, oozes skill and class but never seems to be in the center (I casually watch your games, so maybe I miss), what's up with that?
Yeah, he's getting a rep based on the Schofield thing, but he's as tough as they come. Doesn't stop fighting for every ball. His handballs are often the releasing ones, and he's really doing damage with them. Plus when he does get it onto the boot he's generally pretty good too, got a fair kick on him.

As for Petracca, he doesn't have the tank yet. He's basically a clone of Dusty, and early Dusty couldn't go through the guts for extended periods either. The one difference in his game to Dusty is he can actually take an overhead contested grab, which makes him a pain in the arse matchup because if you try to tag him, he can just go forward and kick three. Once he has that tank he's going to be scary.

Yeah, he's getting a rep based on the Schofield thing, but he's as tough as they come. Doesn't stop fighting for every ball. His handballs are often the releasing ones, and he's really doing damage with them. Plus when he does get it onto the boot he's generally pretty good too, got a fair kick on him.

As for Petracca, he doesn't have the tank yet. He's basically a clone of Dusty, and early Dusty couldn't go through the guts for extended periods either. The one difference in his game to Dusty is he can actually take an overhead contested grab, which makes him a pain in the arse matchup because if you try to tag him, he can just go forward and kick three. Once he has that tank he's going to be scary.

Yeah, he's hard but not Hawks unsociable footy tough. Viney and Jones are undisputed bulls. That was more my initial point.
I picked up Petracca in a draft a few years ago in a legacy league, he slipped to 5th because we drafted after he did his knee. Bargain!
Ruck will be interesting too, Sauce seems to have found form again and Gawn looks a little off with the hammy. First use could be important.

We normally run the eight- or nine-man backline only for the centre clearances, it generally shifts once the ball is bounced. But even so, that's not a loose man, that's assuming a 6-man forward line.

Right now I'm expecting:

B: Jetta Oscar Hibberd
HB: Smith Frost Wagner
C: Hunt Tyson Lewis
HF: Watts Hogan Melksham
F: Garlett TMac Kent
R: Gawn Oliver Vince
Int: Petracca Harmes ANB Hannan

Something along those lines.

Actually, now that I think about it, Melksham might go to Laird. Either way it'll be interesting.

Who goes to Smith then?

I'll play!
  1. Devon Smith 3.0
  2. Breust 4.1
  3. Wines/Wingard/Gray 2 goals each
  4. Tippa 4.0
  5. Ah Chee 5.0
  6. Richmond suck
  7. Dumont/Cunnington/Higgins 2 goals each
  8. Garlett/Bugg/KENT (fmd) 2 goals each
  9. Zorko/Barrett 2 goals each
  10. Freo real bad
  11. Dangerfield/Menzel 3 goals each
  12. Saints real bad
  13. Burton/Henderson 2 goals each (seriously htf does that happen)
  14. Carlton didn't try and score so it doesn't count
  15. Dogs real bad
hiding-head-in-sand-620x250.jpg.jpg

You're stretching quite a bit with your "small forward" classifications! :)
You've even got Burton in there: he got two goals as a key back simply because Tex kept pushing up too far past the centre and let Burton pants him in the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back