Preview Face/Off - Adelaide @ Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Mod. notice

If you have not already done so, please pop into the feedback thread to offer your thoughts on the Adelaide BigFooty board. Your experience of the board, things that can be improved, feedback for moderators etc. The thread has been open for about a week and we'll keep it open for another week. We have heard from several posters and some common themes are popping up but we would love to hear from others.

Here's is the link to the feedback thread

I've found games from Darwin have often been unwatchable. Low scoring, heavy dew/players sweating profusely so difficult to handle the ball. We've actually been pretty good in slippery conditions this season. Partly because we've read the conditions better than our opposition, kept it simple, not over-handled the ball. Hopefully it's the same again if conditions are like this.

I've found games from Darwin have often been unwatchable. Low scoring, heavy dew/players sweating profusely so difficult to handle the ball. We've actually been pretty good in slippery conditions this season. Partly because we've read the conditions better than our opposition, kept it simple, not over-handled the ball. Hopefully it's the same again if conditions are like this.
It would have a little to do with who's playing as well. Most of the games have been a combination of Melbourne, GC, Port and the Doggies when they haven't been traveling all that well.

It would have a little to do with who's playing as well. Most of the games have been a combination of Melbourne, GC, Port and the Doggies when they haven't been traveling all that well.
Yeah that's a fair point.

You guys don't play football during winter up there do you? Just seems to me that these games don't quite fit.

Yeah that's a fair point.

You guys don't play football during winter up there do you? Just seems to me that these games don't quite fit.
Correct, we have 2 seasons Wet and Dry. The Dry is winter. Our NEAFL side play at this time on the oval though.
The Dry is considerably dryer 44% humidity compared to around 80+ in the Wet.
When I first got here playing Juniors for the Buffaloes I have horrific memories of it raining for 10 mins in the first quarter and then watching steam come out of the ground for the rest of the game.

Is our view of Melbourne more a reflection of the horror show at Adelaide Oval in round 8 than their overall form?

Melbourne have beaten two teams in the top Eight. St Kilda in round 1 and us. They have lost to Geelong (they should have won this), Richmond and Sydney. They have yet to play Poort and GWS. Other than us, their best effort was a 3 point win against West Coast in Perth. They just beat Collingwood (3 pts) and Carlton (8 points last week).

With losses to Hawthorn (3 points), North and at home to Freo (2 points) it is difficult to understand where they fit in the overall picture. Do they just match up well on us (we often seem to struggle against them) or are they a genuine premiership contenders?

With matches to come against Poort and GWS, a win could make them a top four contender, a loss makes their place in the Eight a bit shaky.

The problem is that our form has been all over the place for a team that's top after 15 matches. Smacked by the Kangaroos (17th), losses at home to the Hawks (13th) and a shocking performance at Geelong. Our three best wins were against GWS, Hawthorn (at the G) and Poort in the first three rounds of the year. I don't rate the wins at home against Richmond and St Kilda (they're even crazier than us) and with the benefit of hindsight the Bulldogs are cooked.

I just hope we can get over the line on Saturday night to keep the dream alive (and the real test will come in 8 days time).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is our view of Melbourne more a reflection of the horror show at Adelaide Oval in round 8 than their overall form?

Melbourne have beaten two teams in the top Eight. St Kilda in round 1 and us. They have lost to Geelong (they should have won this), Richmond and Sydney. They have yet to play Poort and GWS. Other than us, their best effort was a 3 point win against West Coast in Perth. They just beat Collingwood (3 pts) and Carlton (8 points last week).

With losses to Hawthorn (3 points), North and at home to Freo (2 points) it is difficult to understand where they fit in the overall picture. Do they just match up well on us (we often seem to struggle against them) or are they a genuine premiership contenders?

With matches to come against Poort and GWS, a win could make them a top four contender, a loss makes their place in the Eight a bit shaky.

The problem is that our form has been all over the place for a team that's top after 15 matches. Smacked by the Kangaroos (17th), losses at home to the Hawks (13th) and a shocking performance at Geelong. Our three best wins were against GWS, Hawthorn (at the G) and Poort in the first three rounds of the year. I don't rate the wins at home against Richmond and St Kilda (they're even crazier than us) and with the benefit of hindsight the Bulldogs are cooked.

I just hope we can get over the line on Saturday night to keep the dream alive (and the real test will come in 8 days time).
A strong Dee's outfit is formidable, Rd 8 they were on for 4quarters and we were patchy.
At the start of the game I thought that we looked over anxious, then came into peak for a little bit then crashed out.

They are also a young side and play yo-yo throughout the season.

We've got it right more than wrong this season. The wrong is troubling.

1. Mindil beach (close but no cigar)
2. Correct!
3. Correct!
4. beachside of Gardens oval (close but no cupie doll)
I may or may not have cased out the 1st shot today. The sandbar was out, the rocks in the foreground line up from both places, but the Sandbar is clearly closer in your pic.

No Koalas in the NT mate, you do have to watch out for drop bears though once you get out of town for a bit. They can be really nasty.

No koala BEARS ;)

Darwin must be a fake Australian town then :p

A bit of info on the surface at TIO. Its in great nick. See photo. Was talking to some of the NRL guys and they were surprised. It is very fast and also pretty soft to fall on thank god.
r0_175_3372_2072_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

The benches at TIO are airconned, but the AFL players dont sit there, they sit in chairs closer to the mid line of the ground with those cold water fans. They will however disappear during 1/4 and 3/4 time into those rooms and half time too.

If you are visiting Darwin and feel the need for a drink before going in. St Mary's and the Pint club are both at the airport end of the ground. Just wander in. At Saints there is a good chance you'll run into a Long, Rioli or for you older Adelaide Sturt supporters, Michael Graham.

If you are driving to the ground, they setup a one way system. The trick is to go past where they try to funnel you into the parking across from the Michael Long Centre and drive around to the other end of the ground. You can often get a good park just off the road, in the limited stadium parking or worst case just past the hockey stadium.

Looks like a nice night. Low of 19. Should be in the mid 20s for game time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back