Preview Face-Off : Adelaide v Geelong : Jacobs Out (Official)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Good analysis. My concern is Knight might come out for Greenwood, which is an extremely negative thing to do

Sure Joel may get possessions but he also has to spend time dealing with Riley and I get the feeling that annoys him more than wearing elastoplast on his head

I would keep Knight in

I’d be keeping Knight in too. But I’m putting him on Kelly. Form player of the comp for mine. Shut him down and you go a long way to beating them.

I’d be keeping Knight in too. But I’m putting him on Kelly. Form player of the comp for mine. Shut him down and you go a long way to beating them.

Hinder Selwood, and the rest become much less potent. He is to Geelong what Sloane is to us.

Hinder Selwood, and the rest become much less potent. He is to Geelong what Sloane is to us.

He used to be. Don’t agree he still is. Kelly has done the most damage in the first 2 rounds. Across the league imo. I felt that with my own eyes, even without seeing his coaches votes until today where he is the clear leader.

We can't be too Selwood orientated. They have Constable and Kelly who are doing a lot of grunt mid work now.

We will lose in the middle. Not just because of Sauce. But because of the class they have.

Our strength against Geelong are the two.ends. our forwards should match up well and I dont rate their forward line at all. If we are to win we need.to.expose these two ends.

Geelong will try to shut down our space. Need.to realise that from the start and just play through it. As we did in the final quarter against Hawthorn.

To win we need big games from Smithers, Seed and Milera.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd prefer Greenwood in for Mackay but think it will be Jones that makes way. Shame as he could easily have snagged four goals on the weekend but fluffed up all his chances (including where he got caught HTB).

Real 50/50 game. Crows at home, Cats in form.

My concern is how we match up on their smaller forwards without Brown and Doedee available, reckon it just gives them the edge.

Real 50/50 game. Crows at home, Cats in form.

My concern is how we match up on their smaller forwards without Brown and Doedee available, reckon it just gives them the edge.
Wish we had changed Murphy back to the defensive group from the moment Brown got injured. He would've been perfect for a Dahlhaus.

Wish we had changed Murphy back to the defensive group from the moment Brown got injured. He would've been perfect for a Dahlhaus.
Yep and considering we upgraded him after his year in defence you would have thought it was an obvious move, it would then have also created an opening for Ned or Stengle.

But we wouldn’t do that because he hasn’t trained with the defenders, coaches aren’t coaches any more, they are managers with set structures that they won’t deviate from.

Yep and considering we upgraded him after his year in defence you would have thought it was an obvious move, it would then have also created an opening for Ned or Stengle.

But we wouldn’t do that because he hasn’t trained with the defenders, coaches aren’t coaches any more, they are managers with set structures that they won’t deviate from.
Yep, this annoys the hell out of me!

Same has been said about Fogarty 'not being up to speed with the defenders yet'.

FFS they are full time professional athletes, is it that hard to have the foresight to train them up in different positions throughout such a long pre season?!

Are their gameplans/roles so complex that more than one cannot be learnt and practiced over many months?

If DMac can learn 8-10 different positions, then surely a mere mortal can learn at least 2?

I would think it is more likely due to need

We have other small-mid defenders like Smith and Milera, even Mackay if necessary

Meanwhile our other pressure forwards are draftees or unfit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably allowed them to play their star's in a shootout style midfield rotation (which to me is the last thing you want to do with a team as top heavy as the Cats). I think the game rests on us not letting Geelong play the game on their terms. Lock down the Big 3, Sloane to Danger in the Mid, or Kelly down back. Knight to Selwood (ding ding, get ready for round 3), and Hartigan to Ablett (see if he cant reproduce his famous Robbie Gray 'tall on a elite small' performance). And obviously send Talia to Hawkins and aim for the 0-0 draw in that contest.

Ablett has been played mostly out of the F50 (danger less so, but still much more than previous years), and Selwood on the wing this year. Duncan, Kelly, Constable, Parfitt have played a lot more centre square minutes. Shutting down sellers won't have nearly the same impact as previous games.

Haven't had the chance to watch any Adelaide games too closely to know what changes you have made, but with both crouch brothers playing (first time in a while v Cats if i'm not mistaken), I think it will still be won from the midfield. Unlikely we'll kick as straight again as we did v Melbourne.

Last year, there was only one game that gave me hope of premiership glory(R16vsSwans) and this season the Cats have already doubled up on that. Before this season begun, I had written the Cats off for this season and I'm not one to jump back on the bandwagon so easily BUT all the things that I had vocally criticized the Cats for over the past few years, have completely disappeared for this season and they do look like a team that is willing to not just fight for each win, but to keep fighting the game out for the whole 4qtrs. I believe that the Cats are the REAL DEAL this season and I don't believe that the Crows are playing anywhere near that level and they'll get rolled by the Cats this week!

I just love that Knight clearly hates Selwood

Finally we see a bit of mongrel when he plays on him

animals-cat-cat_owner-cat_lover-kitten-pet-sbo1036_low.jpg

This is us putting the bike is the rack after we smash them Thursday
I prefer the pencil sharpener

Why would we want to drop Jones? One of the few blokes in the side with true genuine pace.
Sure he stuffed up a couple of things but he has the pace to trouble an opposition player into a mistake or get free himself.
Jones can also kick both feet and every game he plays now will be money in the bank later. It is not like there is another candidate in the SANFL demanding selection. Who can we throw on Kelly if he becomes dominant?

Jacobs out is a blessing and Murphy just isn't productive enough.
Charlie Cameron gave true forward pressure, Murphy just chases and almost gets there, doesn't take enough marks or kicks enough goals.
He is a trier but has no unique qualities that hurt the opposition. His size hurts and our aim is to build a premiership team.
Unfortunately for Murphy,it would be more advantageous for us to develop players with a greater upside.

I wouldn't mind giving Stengle a run, he has a clean touch and some pace and does appear to know where the goals are.
If Greenwood isn't up for selection I think CEY might get the nod.
He make mistakes but his size worries opposition players, he goes in hard and if needed can sneak forward.
I would also consider Ben Davis but if O'Brien isn't an automatic selection this week what are the chances of Davis being selected?

Last year, there was only one game that gave me hope of premiership glory(R16vsSwans) and this season the Cats have already doubled up on that. Before this season begun, I had written the Cats off for this season and I'm not one to jump back on the bandwagon so easily BUT all the things that I had vocally criticized the Cats for over the past few years, have completely disappeared for this season and they do look like a team that is willing to not just fight for each win, but to keep fighting the game out for the whole 4qtrs. I believe that the Cats are the REAL DEAL this season and I don't believe that the Crows are playing anywhere near that level and they'll get rolled by the Cats this week!

Nice bit of optimism, but we've seen this story a bit too many times from the Cats in the past 5-6 years.

Big if true. Time to see if O'Brien can make it, or at least, be a good trade option.
Very true

Crows ruckman Sam Jacobs will miss Adelaide’s Round Three clash with Geelong this Thursday night due to a knee injury.

Jacobs will require ongoing treatment in the coming days and re-evaluation next week, when a time frame for his return will become clearer.

Jacobs confirmed out
Good. ROB might be a bit of a downgrade for now, but lets see if he can make it. If he's going to be an AFL ruck, he needs games under his belt. He may well be a better option going forward.
The mobility of JJ last week and his marking from kick ins got us rolling against the Swans. We looked a lot better without Sauce.

Back