Preview Face-Off : Adelaide v Geelong : Jacobs Out (Official)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep and he's started well. Ablett and Danger through the front half and Duncan off half back has worked too.

Gave up 71 inside 50s last week, that says they are a pack of one way runners. I like Kelly and Duncan, think they are criminally under rated but one way running, scatter gun kicking under the thumb show pony Dangerfield will probably get 2000 text messages during the match because his missus will be scared he'll have fun with his old mates. Ablett, who is vying with Kade Simpson as the player who has gone on two season too long and wrecked his legacy will probably be asking the umps which way Geelong are kicking because he has forgotten and Selwood...when you are shifted from the guts out to the wing, it says a lot of what the coach thinks of you.

Crows by 5 goals

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
They played much the same way as we used to do a while back....slingshot footy to some extent. The key for us to win is our half back line, especially Smithers to find a way through their defence - which they do very well on the slimmer confines of KP and AO. So often they caught Melbourne out and forced them to kick long to a contest, and they simply mopped it up (similar to what happened to us against Hawthorn / Sicily). We must move the ball quickly and directly to get a win this week.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Geelong red hot, Crows sputtering. ROB in is a huge change up and how we go with our ruck setup now will be more critical than usual. Regardless of the debate Sauce/ROB, nobody knows if ROB's selection will be for the better or to the detriment.

No pressure ROB but the ball's in your court. I hope you smack the living suitcase out of it.

I just knew we'd do Geelong the last 3 times at AO. Pessimistic this time.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I fully expect O'Brien to actually clunk those marks that Jacobs drops when we bail out kick from defence. I reckon this will massively improve us as a team
Does concern me slightly, Geelong have far better contested marks than Sturt do.....

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Think they will get us here on Thurs. Our forward line still looks a way off and they have defended brilliantly.

I expect a frustrating night with mids on top.

Not the end of the world - fixture opens up a bit and we should get to 4 or 5 and 2, still be in good shape and hopefully running into some solid form

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I fully expect O'Brien to actually clunk those marks that Jacobs drops when we bail out kick from defence. I reckon this will massively improve us as a team
Agree. Even if he doesnt, I expect he will be able to effect the contest, and not just stand under it flat footted with his arms in the air.

We wont know ourselves.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Think they will get us here on Thurs. Our forward line still looks a way off and they have defended brilliantly.

Not the end of the world - fixture opens up a bit and we should get to 4 or 5 and 2, still be in good shape and hopefully running into some solid form
If we get a similar improvement tomorrow that we got last week we should have enough.

Like I said, if they give us 72 entries even with a slightly misfiring front half we will do some serious damage.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Have to remember, it's meltdown day today, sweet.
I have my gif ready

tenor.gif

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think they will get us too, and I'm usually pretty bullish about our chances every week no matter who or where we play, however, I won't be at all surprised if we finally get something going this week and do them properly again like they so richly deserve.:)

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
:D I love BF

Saturday - happy but cautious
Sunday - Filled with love for the Womens team
Monday - Geelong oh boy its gonna be difficult
Tuesday - ya know Geelong have some issues
Wednesday - Nah they aint so good

Thursday - itshappening

:D I love BF

Saturday - happy but cautious
Sunday - Filled with love for the Womens team
Monday - Geelong oh boy its gonna be difficult
Tuesday - ya know Geelong have some issues
Wednesday - Nah they aint so good

Thursday - itshappening

Friday - We need to rebuild. :drunk:

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Very disappointed in the lack of vitriol in this thread.:moustache: On a serious note, it would be strange if either this Riley fella or Knight bloke tags Selwood from the wing. Especially with the 666 rule, the winger is the only player that can basically start in any zone and you give that strategic option away following an opposition player around.

@#$%^%$$#@**(&&&^^%%$$$fincatsarebludgers.

How's that?

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
One of the single most frustrating things about Sauce in recent years. If ROB grabs even 25% of them he is miles in front of Sauce in that category

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
One of the single most frustrating things about Sauce in recent years. If ROB grabs even 25% of them he is miles in front of Sauce in that category

On a par frustration-wise with the fact we keep feckin doing it despite the fact he doesn’t mark them!

Anyway, ROB will be in and we will finally see what a no-Sauce ROB has to offer

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
On a par frustration-wise with the fact we keep feckin doing it despite the fact he doesn’t mark them!

Anyway, ROB will be in and we will finally see what a no-Sauce ROB has to offer
I really hope he comes in a slams the door shut behind him with a great game. I know its a tall task, but nothing would please me more then to 1 day look back at this game as the end of an era, and the start of a new one!

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really hope he comes in a slams the door shut behind him with a great game. I know its a tall task, but nothing would please me more then to 1 day look back at this game as the end of an era, and the start of a new one!

Agreed. We are not quite in rebuild mode yet but we are definitely undergoing a refresh. Jacobs Eddie Tex Talia Douglas. All needing support around them now and eventual replacement. Let’s not fall off a cliff because of retiring talent like the Australian cricket team

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
After watching the Sydney game on the box last Friday, I have now had a chance to forensically analyse the replay.
What new structures did we use? What was Plan B after a poor second quarter? What match turning moves were made by THE MAESTRO?

Perhaps it all happened off camera but my only conclusions were;

1) We stopped giving the ball to the opposition.

In the first quarter against the Hawks we had 28 “shockers” = dropped marks, turnover fumbles, turnover kicks and turnover handpasses. This dropped to 15 in the second quarter and when Wayne hit one of the Hawks on his chest to set up a goal a minute into the third quarter, I stopped counting.

Despite a scappy first quarter against Sydney in slippery conditions I only counted a handful of “shockers”. We didn’t play great football but we stopped constantly giving the ball away.

2) We had the best run from the umpires in more than 28 years. I counted 12 fifty/fifty decisions in the first quarter and we got them all.

Which Crows team will turn up on Thursday? I have no idea but hopefully not the one that showed up against the Hawks!

Back