Preview Face Off: Adelaide V North Melbourne Round 4

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well well well if it isn't our long lost friend overwhelming favouritism. It should be amazing to get an insight into how our new rejuvenated team handles it.

Complicating matters is the underlying fairytale of a 100 goal forward that the media are starting to grow erections over. No-one thinks Bruce is the guy but having seen him kick 10 on the kangas it begs the question - what could a competent forward do?

Now, if you'll allow me a moment, this could work to our advantage.
*slips tinfoil fedora neatly onto head encompassing gigantic brain*

If we take what we know to be fact:

- The media loves a romantic story
- The AFL loves the media to print romantic stories
- Adelaide won't be the premiership winner
- The umpires will fix a result as easily as you can type 'awww biscuits.'

Now if we add 2 and 2 together we get the result that the AFL and media get their 100 goal kicker and it is AFL aided (examples already seen last weekend of a dubious free) but doesn't end up affecting the winner of the premiership. It's the perfect crime as far as totally transparent and predictable AFL agendas go.

Problem: It's a fairytale ending. Who believes in fairytales? Kids. What's our team full of? Kids.

*replaces tinfoil fedora to diamond encrusted silk bag*

I am concerned that the combined love of both fairytales and dinosaurs will see our kids completely distracted by the mission to get Tyrannosaurus Tex into double figures and by extension into triple figures come season end. Granted, at this point that strategy will probably work out anyway especially if aforementioned AFL aide is forthcoming. However, should it not work out then we risk losing a match we ultimately should be winning. What does that do to our season?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope Thilthorpe plays purely because I don't think he will get an easier chance to work his magic this year and it'd be really great for him to have a positive start to his AFL career rather than waiting for a showdown where we get zero time on the ball.

Thank you for listening and go Crows.
Kava supplies in Fiji just got short

Well well well if it isn't our long lost friend overwhelming favouritism. It should be amazing to get an insight into how our new rejuvenated team handles it.

Complicating matters is the underlying fairytale of a 100 goal forward that the media are starting to grow erections over. No-one thinks Bruce is the guy but having seen him kick 10 on the kangas it begs the question - what could a competent forward do?

Now, if you'll allow me a moment, this could work to our advantage.
*slips tinfoil fedora neatly onto head encompassing gigantic brain*

If we take what we know to be fact:

- The media loves a romantic story
- The AFL loves the media to print romantic stories
- Adelaide won't be the premiership winner
- The umpires will fix a result as easily as you can type 'awww biscuits.'

Now if we add 2 and 2 together we get the result that the AFL and media get their 100 goal kicker and it is AFL aided (examples already seen last weekend of a dubious free) but doesn't end up affecting the winner of the premiership. It's the perfect crime as far as totally transparent and predictable AFL agendas go.

Problem: It's a fairytale ending. Who believes in fairytales? Kids. What's our team full of? Kids.

*replaces tinfoil fedora to diamond encrusted silk bag*

I am concerned that the combined love of both fairytales and dinosaurs will see our kids completely distracted by the mission to get Tyrannosaurus Tex into double figures and by extension into triple figures come season end. Granted, at this point that strategy will probably work out anyway especially if aforementioned AFL aide is forthcoming. However, should it not work out then we risk losing a match we ultimately should be winning. What does that do to our season?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope Thilthorpe plays purely because I don't think he will get an easier chance to work his magic this year and it'd be really great for him to have a positive start to his AFL career rather than waiting for a showdown where we get zero time on the ball.

Thank you for listening and go Crows.

Wasnt this a coach killer? North lost their coach on this day he was sacked?

I remember this well, and I think there was another game around the same time that we thrashed another club that sacked their coach too.

Interesting correlation between results and the H/A tag. They haven't beaten us in Adelaide since 2003, and we haven't beaten them outside of Adelaide since 2013. (We've won both finals between the clubs, however)

If we reversed last year's result, North get the spoon instead of us.

Last year in Carrara we got smashed.

2018 and 2019 were close games going to the home side.

2017 in our GF year we were totally embarrassed at Bellerive, a 20 goal turnaround from our elimination final win in 2016, busting one of our best ever streaks, and best ever start to the season (6-0)

The 2017 and 2020 nightmares tend to multiply in our minds, but in terms of cold hard stats they are the only games close to 10 goal thrashings since our bottom 4 finish in 2011.

Last year going into the game 0-8 was without question on our lowest ebb and they drove us to despair.

Our turn to kick them when they're down.

Yes please. I'm a Victorian member too and would like a second ticket.. just need to convince partner that crows game is better than after wedding next day brunch in Launceston somehow
Just explain how the new man on the mark rule has really opened up the game

Interestingly, it is currently one of those strange situations where none of the sides in the top 8 have lost to the bottom 10 sides. Games between top 8 and bottom 10 are currently 14-0.

Only a small chance of that being preserved this weekend IMO. Further games 'across the divide' in R4 are Syd vs Ess, Dogs vs Lions, Eagles vs Saints, and us vs North. Even if those games go to form, there is still a likely movement of sides in and out of the 8.

If the Suns get up over Carlton (or Carlton win by a big margin), they could displace one of Geelong or Richmond losing to Melbourne or Port respectively.

Collingwood beating GWS would displace the other if they both lose.

The status quo would likely be maintained if Geelong and Richmond both win, and the other games follow form. A big win to Richmond or the Suns could push Port outside on %age.

Watching 1993 fosters now.

Hodges has 5 halfway through 2nd qtr. Getting ready for second half for Mods. Rocket Maynard dominant

Wow. I remember that game surprisingly well. My Dad picked me up from O-week at Uni and we went in. Good times!!

I remember this well, and I think there was another game around the same time that we thrashed another club that sacked their coach too.

Interesting correlation between results and the H/A tag. They haven't beaten us in Adelaide since 2003, and we haven't beaten them outside of Adelaide since 2013. (We've won both finals between the clubs, however)

If we reversed last year's result, North get the spoon instead of us.

Last year in Carrara we got smashed.

2018 and 2019 were close games going to the home side.

2017 in our GF year we were totally embarrassed at Bellerive, a 20 goal turnaround from our elimination final win in 2016, busting one of our best ever streaks, and best ever start to the season (6-0)

The 2017 and 2020 nightmares tend to multiply in our minds, but in terms of cold hard stats they are the only games close to 10 goal thrashings since our bottom 4 finish in 2011.

Last year going into the game 0-8 was without question on our lowest ebb and they drove us to despair.

Our turn to kick them when they're down.
Coaches sacked after being belted by Adelaide:

Wayne Schimmelbusch
Robert Walls
Malcolm Blight

.... ???

Coaches sacked after being belted by Adelaide:

Wayne Schimmelbusch
Robert Walls
Malcolm Blight

.... ???

Dean Laidley too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows could easily be 0-3. North have been beaten by Port, Suns (away) & Dogs. I don’t think there is much between us - and we are playing away. So a 50-50 game. And in 50-50 games I look at who has the most to lose or who is under pressure - and that team is North. So I think we will lose and at $3.36 it is pretty tempting odds (but I have a couple of betting rules: never bet against my team, never bet on Freo away, never bet on Port)

This is a game we could easily drop. We have struggled against North away and North are coming off a hammering (their worst effort in years) and are going to be angry and desperate and Adelaide needs to play the same way they have played the first 3 rounds if they want to get the W. If we think we have an easy one (2003 R2 vs St Kilda is a good example) and come out soft, we may be in for a long day. Gotta earn this one guys.

This game never fails to cheer me up.

Top 30 Afl 9 GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

I remember the photo of him celebrating and the North fan giving him the middle finger. It was a brilliant photo.

do you think in time he will be a HBF who gets say 20 touches he’s a game?

He's working on the defensive side of his game, I would imagine the low possession count will continue while he learns and develops his decision making of when to stay with the player or run off them

do you think in time he will be a HBF who gets say 20 touches he’s a game?
As the season progresses I suspect he and Brodie Smith will alternate between the more attacking role and the more defensive role depending on whether or not teams put time into Brodie Smith. When that happens I suspect you'll see a sharp uptick in his statistical performance, which will likely be the norm in years to come.

But for now they seem pretty happy with him developing his defensive game on some top end small forwards. So far he's manned up against Muirs (I think), Papley and Rankine and from the eye test has done reasonably well in each game. This week we are playing North, so not sure what he does. Might get a license to break some lines

Back