Who will win

• Total voters
Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Okay I will keep this one short, so in order to pace myself I will race Stephen Coniglio against his explanation of the “Leap of Faith” statue (from Making Their Mark)

Okay, are you ready Cogs? Lets go…

1619593407566.png
1619593333844.png

Adelaide VS GWS – Adelaide Oval – Saturday 1st May 1:40pm

Form

GWS

After a poor start GWS have seemingly turned the corner over the last three weeks.

Their run started with a convincing win against Collingwood at the G, next up was a gallant come from behind victory to beat Sydney and then managing to stay with the league leaders for three quarters before being blown out in the last quarter.

When you factor in that they’ve been missing players like Stephen Coniglio, Lachie Whitfield and Phil Davis it just highlights their depth and suggests that despite a poor 2020, they’re still going to be around the mark in 2021.

Adelaide

Our season so far has been a mixed bag.

After starting the season with an impressive 3-1 record, we’ve slumped over the past two weeks by losing two very winnable games and have gone from staring 5-1 in the face to now being 3-3.

The underlying issue with the last two weeks has been our inconsistency and inability to string together 4 consistent quarters of football.

We hit the front 10 mins into the last quarter against Freo before a fade out saw us concede four straight goals. The Hawthorn game was a similar story, 13 minutes in the 3rd quarter we’re in front by 30+ points before letting Hawthorn back into the game by conceding 5 straight goals.

After a very poor 2020 it's clear that we've significantly improved as a side, I just think that the last two weeks have shown that we haven't quite improved enough to be able to nab the 50/50 games when they're in the balance.

Anyway we had better check back in with Cogs to see how he's going trying to explain that statue

1619614324140.png

“aaaaaah okay, now ummm that little piece of ummm well ummm ?”

*Coniglio looks over at Leon Cameron with a confused look on his face*

Leon, “Do you mean wood?”

Cogs, “Ah yes that, that little piece of wood over there is a representation of Toby Greene”.....................................

Okay, it looks like I still have plenty of time

Potential ins

GWS look set to bring back Lachie Whitfield while I expect us to bring in Worrell for his first game (to replace Will Hamill).

Berry is listed as a test, but I expect him to be fit for selection this week.

Where I expect the game to be won

Dare I say it, the midfield.

The big worry for us with GWS is their midfield depth.

Even with Coniglio and guys like Whitefield (who can swing into the midfield) missing they still shown that they have a very formidable midfield, it's going to be a massive challenge for us to combat their midfield especially with Sloane still being unavailable.

We’re going to need Laird and Keays to bring their A game and also will need one of our younger mids to step up if we’re going to be able to contain their midfield.

Who to look out for

RT

Now I don’t want to pile too much hype on to the kid, but Riley Thilthorpe will be one to watch in this game. I have to be honest and admit that I wasn't a big fan of drafting him, but as far as first games go you couldn’t ask for any more than that.

Can the excitement machine deliver for a 2nd week in a row?

Tex

Prior to this year we were all asking for the real Tex to please stand up.

We were tired of the phony Tex who would spend games wrestling with his opponent and not attacking the ball. We wanted to see the real Tex, the guy that leads hard at the ball, crashes packs, plays deep and bangs goals from 50.

2021 is definitely shaping up to be the year of the Texan and hopefully this week will be another step towards the 2021 Coleman Medal.

Laird

Make no mistake, without Sloane in the middle Laird is now our most important player in the middle. If we’re to win this, Laird will need to play a blinder and dominate the engine room.

Big ROB

The man who single handily drove Mick500 away from Bigfooty.

Over the last few weeks he’s been back to his 2020 form. He's been far more influential around the ground and is back to dropping back behind the play and clunking crucial grabs. I think that if he can get the better of Flynn and give us first use it will go a long way to helping us get on top of their midfield.

Okay I’ll just check back in with Cogs to see how things are going......

Coniglio, “Now that man in the middle is ummm, I think it’s umm”

*looks over again blankly at Leon Cameron”

Leon *whispers under his breath*, “That’s you”

Coniglio, “Yes, that man in the middle of the statue is me, I’m your boss”

Leon Cameron *frustratingly*
1619614728312.png

“Stephen, I think the word you’re looking for is captain”

Coniglio “That’s right, I’m your captain”

Well it looks like I still have time

What changes I would like to see.

For me I would like to see Berry, Newchurch and Worrall to come in at the expense of Hamill (Inj), Fog and Rowe.

Before I get massacred over the Fog call, I just think we need an extra mid against GWS and think that with Berg, Tex and Thilthorpe up forward we’re most probably tall enough without needing Fog as the extra tall.

Prediction

Despite GWS’ strength in the middle, I am going to back us to in to get the job done. I think two disappointing losses together with a vocal home crowd will be enough to spur us on to get the win.

Adelaide by 19 points.

UPDATE !!!!
I tried to check back with Coniglio, but the last report was that the players had fallen asleep and even after 5 hours poor Stephen still couldn't quite articulate what on earth that damn statue is supposed to mean.

Last edited:

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Should be a tight contest. Will have to play a lot better than last week to get up. Hopefully selection is spot on this week.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm actually quite excited about this game. Think its going to be a good old fashioned shootout!

Ball pinging around from end to end like a pinball machine.

I'm actually quite excited about this game. Think its going to be a good old fashioned shootout!

Ball pinging around from end to end like a pinball machine.

Doubt it. GWS play a contest-heavy, defensive, attritional style game.

12 goals will win it.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
So you're saying the Orange Tsunami has turned into the Orange lead balloon? ;)

Anyway I disagree. I think 12 goals will lose it by roughly 6 goals
GWS going at 71 points per game, 16th best offence.

I will be shocked if both sides score 100 points. There is a chance they win the clearances by 25 and rack up a score on us.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
GWS going at 71 points per game, 16th best offence.

I will be shocked if both sides score 100 points. There is a chance they win the clearances by 25 and rack up a score on us.
I know why you would think that, but for me its no co-incidence that we've played in a lot of shootouts this year. Our attack is miles better then last year, but we are still prone to bad mistakes and wild momentum swings, and are paying for them with big runs of with goals against.

And regardless of their scoring this season, I predict that we see a game like this on Saturday. Guessing we will see another contest that is essentially first to 100 win's.

Last edited:

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Why would Kelly necessarily give up a shocker of a clanger? So far in 2021 he has 6 clangers and 7 turnovers to his name and is one of the safest pairs of hands on our list
He's playing bloody good football and I hope he signs a contract extension soon. The irrational hatred on here of a player that gives his all week in and week out is appalling.
GWS by 6 points, with us dropping off in the last qtr. TT with 3, Tex 2. Kelly to give up a shocker of a turn over.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Our midfield is just nowhere near strong enough yet. GWS will get the job done just as Freo did with their superior midfield.

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bloody good football? Nah he has been okay, nothing special.
Why would Kelly necessarily give up a shocker of a clanger? So far in 2021 he has 6 clangers and 7 turnovers to his name and is one of the safest pairs of hands on our list
He's playing bloody good football and I hope he signs a contract extension soon. The irrational hatred on here of a player that gives his all week in and week out is appalling.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back