AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide United, QPR
Adelaide vs Essendon – Etihad Stadium, Saturday 15th Aug @ 1:45PM AEST

Crow(e)s v Bombres -

article-2223352-15809E33000005DC-874_306x455.jpg imagesNBJQMRPG.jpg

The Scenario -

This game pits the two clubs who have this year been through probably the most emotionally challenging seasons in AFL history, for very different reasons, against each other.

The ASADA / WADA / Dank / Drugs saga continues to haunt and plague Essendon and has surely been a contributing factor in them megaslumping to lose 9 of their last 10 games, ironically their only win in that time coming against their bogey team of the last few years, Melbourne.

Adelaide’s players have gained respect and admiration throughout the league for their amazing resilience in the last few weeks. As Robbo put it on 360 last night, first they were playing in honour of Walshy, now they are playing inspired by Walshy.

After a very poor performance against Sydney the Crows struck back with arguably the most manic defensive effort in the league this season to clinch a vital win against a shellshocked Richmond, and have now won 3 of their past 4 games.

Adelaide coach Scott Camporeale had a decorated career with Carlton, but of course also played for Essendon while pursuing his stand up comedy career:

196535-lucy-millar.jpg

He is now very comfortable calling the shots at the Crows and keeping Danger updated on the Moggs Creek real estate market even during games:

external.jpg

The most notable player swap between the 2 clubs was of course Sean Wellman going from Adelaide to Essendon as part of the D Jarman trade also involving Paul Salmon otherwise known as the greatest win/win/win trade of all time (but we won the most! :))

2qxcf80.jpg

The Rivalry -

These clubs have a rich history of memorable clashes against each other, going way back to the sold out trial game at Football Park in 1991.

The most famous match is of course the 1993 Preliminary Final, the least favourite football memory of most Crows fans old enough to remember. A 7 goal half time lead was somehow squandered, and the Crows would not return to finals action for 4 years following that loss. Fortunately I was working at the time and have vowed never to watch this game.

Finals revenge was finally exacted in 2009, when Adelaide downed Essendon by 94 points in the Elimination Final at Football Park. Although this was a flogging, it was nothing compared to one of my most enjoyable days in football, when Adelaide belted the Bombres to the tune of 138 points at Football Park in 2006. I remember well that I went there expecting a thrashing and was angry when Essendon scored the first goal.

It wasn’t until Craigy was coaching that the Crows finally got a win up against the blood and tars in Melbourne. I went to 2 or 3 games we played in Melbourne against them and saw us get belted. Yet we also only lost to Essendon at home a couple of times in that period, it was an amazing record the 2 clubs had going for a while, neither could seem to get the points away from home irrespective of ladder positions.

I had 2 longterm girlfriends who barracked for Essendon, one whose whole family did. This escalate my massive and longheld grudge against the club for the '93 PF to unhealthy levels of hatred. I wanted them to fail at every step and on every possible level. I was way ahead of my time with this (as was Dermott), as it seems that all supporters of all other teams, and even Bomber Thompson and whoever keeps leaking "confidential" information, now share this exact same mindset.

The Record -

Last 5 Clashes:
R14, 2014, Essendon 15.11 (101) d Adelaide 14.8 (92) at Etihad Stadium
R1, 2013, Essendon 18.9 (117) d Adelaide 11.16 (82) at AAMI Stadium
R19, 2012, Adelaide 16.8 (104) d Essendon 15.10 (100) at AAMI Stadium
R17, 2011, Essendon 12.12 (84) d Adelaide 10.13 (73) at AAMI Stadium
R14, 2010, Adelaide 19.10 (124) d Essendon 5.10 (40) at AAMI Staidum

- Essendon have won 5 of 7 games against Adelaide at Etihad Stadium.
- The Bombres have won 12 of 14 games against Adelaide in Melbourne in total.
- Adelaide’s Scott Thompson won the 3 Brownlow Medal votes for his 41 disposal game in Essendon's nine-point win over Adelaide last year.

Key Stats –

- Adelaide are ranked first in the competition for clearances (averaging 42.6 a game) and Essendon are ranked last with 35.1 a game.

- Last week was the 10th time this season the Bombers have kicked under 10 goals for a game. Their loss to GWS saw their average score this season drop to just 71 points.

- Adelaide rank second in the competition for marks inside-50m (13.1 a game). However, their conversion has not been as good, ranking 10th in the competition for goalkicking.

- Adelaide’s Rory Sloane is the fifth-best midfielder according to the Official AFL Player Ratings. Sloane is ranked seventh overall.

Ins & Outs / Selection Info … from the limited sources I have (none) –

- Brodie Martin is expected to be available after missing the last game with illness.

- Matt Crouch is free to play, despite Friday night football’s panel disgracefully trying to hang him for an incident which the review panel didn’t even see fit to fine him for.

- Richard Douglas will miss a further couple of weeks after having his appendix removed. He could have had this removed when he was in bad form!

- Prized Essendon recruit Adam Cooney, who left the Bulldogs so he could play finals football, was seen yesterday booking international flights for the weekend as he will be receiving a generous 3-4 week holiday from the tribunal tonight after attempting to decapitate Stephen Coniglio of GWS late in Sunday’s game. This was surely a sign of the massive frustration some of the senior Bombres players are feeling, both at the way the team has been playing and the situation surrounding the club.

Where it will be won (and lost) -

- Ruck: Sam Jacobs should be able to give the Adelaide midfield first use at stoppages again. He was immense in the Showdown and again against Richmond, some of the clean taps to advantage directly setting up scores. Hopefully he will be up again Shaun McKernan as lead ruck as this would be very enjoyable for all Crows fans to witness.

- Midfield: Essendon are struggling for goals and struggling just as much for opportunities to score. Their midfield is just not winning enough of the ball. With Colyer out they have lost almost any speed they had. Far too much reliance on Heppell and Goddard. Dangerfield, Sloane and Thompson should absolutely tear it up on Saturday … I wouldn’t be surprised to see all 3 have 35+ possessions and hit the scoreboard.

- Forward lines: Joe Daniher will be a star. Talia is already a star. Expect him to keep Daniher to 2 goals or less. Unless he kicks 6+ I can’t see Essendon getting nearly enough goals. They will need to kick at least 15 to win and have been struggling to hit double figures. Adelaide have Walker, Jenkins and Cameron all in good form. Betts has had a quiet month but he is due … this could be the game where he gets his stunning early season form back.

Last say -

There is no logical reason that Essendon should win this and no logical reason that Adelaide should not win this well. However, this is AFL football and a Crows win in a season already littered with huge upsets cannot be given one of Roo’s "tick"s until the game has been played.

With the non football issues around and within both clubs there is no guarantee what kind of emotional state players will be in come matchday. A tiny amount of focus lost by the Crows could have dire consequences for everything they have worked so hard for this season.

I have tremendous confidence in the players and coaches after the awesome four quarter effort they put in last round. Backing up that kind of performance is one of the biggest challenges though. If they can apply themselves to something very close to that extent this should be a convincing win for Adelaide.

Sitting outside of the 8 by .1%, percentage is absolutely vital. First thing is first, let’s get the win. But if the players have the chance, let’s bury the filth!

Tip – Adelaide by 45 Points

P.S. I did it! Got thru the Face Off without a single mention or photo of Mr Hird. Woohoo!

987667-1a08b984-6316-11e3-be16-1445237cc09f.jpg

Last edited:

Don't expect any changes maybe just the sub.
If there is a change I hope CEY, Grigg or Kedge come in.

Keep the kids in they are our future and they are guns

Tex with 6, Betts 4, JJ 3, CC 3, Lynch 3

Last edited:
With the Bombers backwards style they use sometimes, if we put pressure on like last week I'm hoping we'll see another 74-39 Inside 50 count. Then the next task will be to actually kick straight.

Of course all that is a big if at this stage.

Douggie could have had is appendix out when he missed a few for that off the ball elbow. In fact I suggest that any player missing two or more matches have their appendix, tonsils and wisdom teeth out while on their forced break :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the Bombers backwards style they use sometimes, if we put pressure on like last week I'm hoping we'll see another 74-39 Inside 50 count. Then the next task will be to actually kick straight.

Of course all that is a big if at this stage.

Tex to kick 5.2 instead of 2.5 this week. Cameron and Betts should be free to run riot and kick a few each. That should be enough to get us a win :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't belt the living suitcase out of essendon

for that reason alone, i tip essendon by 8 points, and old mate smoothy to receive a hefty ban from etihad stadium for attempting to incinerate it post match

My only fear is if anything like the Crows who played Sydney show up and Essendon get a shot of intestinal fortitude during the week.

They ran Port close there a few weeks ago and kicked their only decent score of late. Think Essendon had 100 more possessions in that game too.

there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't belt the living suitcase out of essendon

for that reason alone, i tip essendon by 8 points, and old mate smoothy to receive a hefty ban from etihad stadium for attempting to incinerate it post match
Yeah I hate these sort of games. We have produced really bad efforts when going in favourite.

Adelaide vs Essendon – Etihad Stadium, Saturday 15th Aug @ 1:45PM AEST

Crow(e)s v Bombres -

View attachment 161303 View attachment 161306

The Scenario -

This game pits the two clubs who have this year been through probably the most emotionally challenging seasons in AFL history, for very different reasons, against each other.

The ASADA / WADA / Dank / Drugs saga continues to haunt and plague Essendon and has surely been a contributing factor in them megaslumping to lose 9 of their last 10 games, ironically their only win in that time coming against their bogey team of the last few years, Melbourne.

Adelaide’s players have gained respect and admiration throughout the league for their amazing resilience in the last few weeks. As Robbo put it on 360 last night, first they were playing in honour of Walshy, now they are playing inspired by Walshy.

After a very poor performance against Sydney the Crows struck back with arguably the most manic defensive effort in the league this season to clinch a vital win against a shellshocked Richmond, and have now won 3 of their past 4 games.

Adelaide coach Scott Camporeale had a decorated career with Carlton, but of course also played for Essendon while pursuing his stand up comedy career:

View attachment 161307

He is now very comfortable calling the shots at the Crows and keeping Danger updated on the Moggs Creek real estate market even during games:

View attachment 161308

The most notable player swap between the 2 clubs was of course Sean Wellman going from Adelaide to Essendon as part of the D Jarman trade also involving Paul Salmon otherwise known as the greatest win/win/win trade of all time (but we won the most! :))

View attachment 161309

The Rivalry -

These clubs have a rich history of memorable clashes against each other, going way back to the sold out trial game at Football Park in 1991.

The most famous match is of course the 1993 Preliminary Final, the least favourite football memory of most Crows fans old enough to remember. A 7 goal half time lead was somehow squandered, and the Crows would not return to finals action for 4 years following that loss. Fortunately I was working at the time and have vowed never to watch this game.

Finals revenge was finally exacted in 2009, when Adelaide downed Essendon by 94 points in the Elimination Final at Football Park. Although this was a flogging, it was nothing compared to one of my most enjoyable days in football, when Adelaide belted the Bombres to the tune of 138 points at Football Park in 2006. I remember well that I went there expecting a thrashing and was angry when Essendon scored the first goal.

It wasn’t until Craigy was coaching that the Crows finally got a win up against the blood and tars in Melbourne. I went to 2 or 3 games we played in Melbourne against them and saw us get belted. Yet we also only lost to Essendon at home a couple of times in that period, it was an amazing record the 2 clubs had going for a while, neither could seem to get the points away from home irrespective of ladder positions.

I had 2 longterm girlfriends who barracked for Essendon, one whose whole family did. This escalate my massive and longheld grudge against the club for the '93 PF to unhealthy levels of hatred. I wanted them to fail at every step and on every possible level. I was way ahead of my time with this (as was Dermott), as it seems that all supporters of all other teams, and even Bomber Thompson and whoever keeps leaking "confidential" information, now share this exact same mindset.

The Record -

Last 5 Clashes:
R14, 2014, Essendon 15.11 (101) d Adelaide 14.8 (92) at Etihad Stadium
R1, 2013, Essendon 18.9 (117) d Adelaide 11.16 (82) at AAMI Stadium
R19, 2012, Adelaide 16.8 (104) d Essendon 15.10 (100) at AAMI Stadium
R17, 2011, Essendon 12.12 (84) d Adelaide 10.13 (73) at AAMI Stadium
R14, 2010, Adelaide 19.10 (124) d Essendon 5.10 (40) at AAMI Staidum

- Essendon have won 5 of 7 games against Adelaide at Etihad Stadium.
- The Bombres have won 12 of 14 games against Adelaide in Melbourne in total.
- Adelaide’s Scott Thompson won the 3 Brownlow Medal votes for his 41 disposal game in Essendon's nine-point win over Adelaide last year.

Key Stats –

- Adelaide are ranked first in the competition (averaging 42.6 a game) and Essendon are ranked last with 35.1 a game.

- Last week was the 10th time this season the Bombers have kicked under 10 goals for a game. Their loss to GWS saw their average score this season drop to just 71 points.

- Adelaide rank second in the competition for marks inside-50m (13.1 a game). However, their conversion has not been as good, ranking 10th in the competition for goalkicking.

- Adelaide’s Rory Sloane is the fifth-best midfielder according to the Official AFL Player Ratings. Sloane is ranked seventh overall.

Ins & Outs / Selection Info … from the limited sources I have (none) –

- Brodie Martin is expected to be available after missing the last game with illness.

- Matt Crouch is free to play, despite Friday night football’s panel disgracefully trying to hang him for an incident which the review panel didn’t even see fit to fine him for.

- Richard Douglas will miss a further couple of weeks after having his appendix removed. He could have had this removed when he was in bad form!

- Prized Essendon recruit Adam Cooney, who left the Bulldogs so he could play finals football, was seen yesterday booking international flights for the weekend as he will be receiving a generous 3-4 week holiday from the tribunal tonight after attempting to decapitate Stephen Coniglio of GWS late in Sunday’s game. This was surely a sign of the massive frustration some of the senior Bombres players are feeling, both at the way the team has been playing and the situation surrounding the club.

Where it will be won (and lost) -

- Ruck: Sam Jacobs should be able to give the Adelaide midfield fight use at stoppages again. He was immense in the Showdown and again against Richmond, some of the clean taps to advantage directly setting up scores. Hopefully he will be up again Shaun McKernan as lead ruck as this would be very enjoyable for all Crows fans to witness.

- Midfield: Essendon are struggling for goals and struggling just as much for opportunities to score. Their midfield is just not winning enough of the ball. With Colyer out they have lost almost any speed they had. Far too much reliance on Heppell and Goddard. Dangerfield, Sloane and Thompson should absolutely tear it up on Saturday … I wouldn’t be surprised to see all 3 have 35+ possessions and hit the scoreboard.

- Forward lines: Joe Daniher will be a star. Talia is already a star. Expect him to keep Daniher to 2 goals or less. Unless he kicks 6+ I can’t see Essendon getting nearly enough goals. They will need to kick at least 15 to win and have been struggling to hit double figures. Adelaide have Walker, Jenkins and Cameron all in good form. Betts has had a quiet month but he is due … this could be the game where he gets his stunning early season form back.

Last say -

There is no logical reason that Essendon should win this and no logical reason that Adelaide should not win this well. However, this is AFL football and a Crows win in a season already littered with huge upsets cannot be given one of Roo’s "tick"s until the game has been played.

With the non football issues around and within both clubs there is no guarantee what kind of emotional state players will be in come matchday. A tiny amount of focus lost by the Crows could have dire consequences for everything they have worked so hard for this season.

I have tremendous confidence in the players and coaches after the awesome four quarter effort they put in last round. Backing up that kind of performance is one of the biggest challenges though. If they can apply themselves to something very close to that extent this should be a convincing win for Adelaide.

Sitting outside of the 8 by .1%, percentage is absolutely vital. First thing is first, let’s get the win. But if the players have the chance, let’s bury the filth!

Tip – Adelaide by 45 Points

P.S. I did it! Got thru the Face Off without a single mention or photo of Mr Hird. Woohoo!

View attachment 161311
Great post.

obscure stat - we haven't lost a Round 20 game for 8 years
we're generally timing our run for 8th spot right about now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back