• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Usually an upcoming fixture against Richmond is great news for any team, however 2017 could be a little different. The Tigers are sitting 5-0 and are in equal 1st position. Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

Once every few seasons the Tigers burst the blocks wide open, catching the competition by surprise before lapsing back into Normal Richmond mode for the latter part of the season. When this current form will fizzle out is unknown but what is certain is that right now they are up and about. Don’t expect this to be a walk in the cake.

Hardwick
Richmond have embarked on a bold new strategy this season, bringing in good players (Prestia, Nankervis) and getting rid of bad players (Vickery, Morris). Early days but it appears to be paying dividends.

Adelaide – WOW!
How good are we? Let’s ask the coaches:

“They are a fantastic football club. They are in another stratosphere.”
“They are the best team in the competition by a mile.”

Who said this? Dean Laidley and Mark Thompson, 2006. I have the same warm, confident feeling about our team now as I did back then.

Interestingly, after destroying North Melbourne at home back in 2006 we traveled to Subiaco as favourites the next week to play West Coast…. and got absolutely annihilated by 82 points. That was ok though, because we ‘just didn’t turn up’ in that game so could write it off as an anomaly. It didn’t mean anything and was not a pointer towards what might occur in September.

The Angry Lynch
Every Crows’ player seems to be having a career-best year… except our supposed barometer Tom Lynch who has been slipping over, fumbling the ball and flubbing kicks with alarming regularity. Usually Crows players reserve that sort of football for finals. Expect the Ginga Ninja to turn things around this week.

Injuries
The only Malcolm on our season so far has been our injury problems. Our hamstrings have been pinging more often than Jenny’s internet connection. The good news is that the rate of injuries should slow down now because we have fewer players on the park.

Flaunting with our form
Much was made of Rory Atkins’ extreme makeover last week. Was it a sign that the club had taken its eye off the bat and ball and gone home? Judging by the Gold Coast game it would appear not. We won easily and Atkins was great. The level of outcry over haircolourgate was perhaps a mountain out of a tea cup.

Midfield Battle
Adelaide's prospects in 2017 depend heavily on Brad Crouch hitting his straps and becoming the player he looked like being back in 2013. He made a promising return last week and needs to build on this. Sloane can't do all the heavy lifting by himself.

Cotchin is quality, Nankervis seems like a great pick up and I can see him giving Sauce a touch up, Martin is ridiculous but looked sore, Prestia works his backside off. They have some obvious high points but I think we bat deeper.

Richmond's first half against Melbourne was actually a blueprint of how to beat the Crows in previous seasons: Absorb a lot of pressure, clog up the D50, concede a huge number of Inside 50s, minimise the score against then score on the rebound with space over the back. The Crows seem to be more efficient this season going forward but still seem susceptible to conceding on the rebound.

If the Tigers midfield can pressure us into bombing then their defenders will be a chance. If not, they won't.

Jack Riewoldt vs Taylor Walker
Shoot out! Two of the best key forwards in the game go head-to-head this week.

You must admire Hardwick’s lateral thinking over the last couple of seasons. He came up with this left field theory: Wouldn’t it be awesome if Jack didn’t kick goals anymore? Instead let’s put more responsibility onto players who are incapable of kicking goals.

That strategy didn’t really payoff though it did help trick the Hawks into poaching Tyrone Vickery so perhaps the two dismal years was worth it.

That’s out the window now. Jack is back in the F50 full time and killing it. Riewoldt is not the only forward the Crows have to worry about either. There’s also… ummm…. actually it is just Riewoldt.

At the other end of the ground is big Tex Walker who is dishing out goal assists like free tickets to the China game. His skills are ridiculous for a big man and he possesses the best left foot handball in the game.

article-1332425-0059DD8D00000258-702_468x359.jpg

Will Trent Cotchin choose to send the opposition in to bat if he wins the toss? Few Tiger fans have forgotten that epic bungle in 2014 – the biggest stuff up since Saddam Hussain at the Gabba.

History
Odd is the word that leaps to mind when thinking about Adelaide vs Richmond matches of yesteryear. The games themselves haven't been particularly memorable but some of the surrounding incidents have been:

maxresdefault.jpg

Mods kicked 23 goals against Richmond in 1993 alone :eek:

32b4c3fff08dc1fce5540b86d4e5b76d

Round 2 1997 - "To start like that means you won't win, particularly with a pathetic effort from Pittman in ruck, I mean that was the most disgraceful effort I've ever seen from a big fella. Now that's pretty tough on an individual but he has to wear it because we got carried away as a team."

2d953de0d190744608c2375b3c8916e1

Robert Walls was sacked after a 137 point shellacking at the hand of the Crows in 1997. They actually sacked him with a 17-22 record... Richmond would almost deify a coach who could churn out those sort of numbers now. Ultimately the football media were the biggest losers.

0805_1800_sa_afl_lrg_17qhr2h-17qhr2i.jpg

See ya! The Tigers got the better of us in 1998 and Blighty had seen enough. He vacated the coaching box during the last quarter and headed around to the rooms, not even watching the end of the game. There was method to the madness - we won the flag.

1452138228688.jpg

2006: Richmond's three-point upset at Telstra Dome on Saturday, handing Adelaide just their second defeat of the year, provided the major talking point of the weekend. Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy described Richmond coach Terry Wallace's tactics as "basketball crap" which would not make the 10th-placed Tigers a premiership threat and would drive the fans away. Richmond's chip-kick plan produced the highest number of marks taken in an AFL match: an astonishing 181.

bigfootycom.gif

Neil Craig repeatedly sent Taylor Walker back to the SANFL to work on doing the team things like tackling. The end result was a suspension and a near broken neck for Steve Morris.

Taylor-Walker-Adelaide-Crows-AFL-2015.jpg

Adelaide and Richmond have never met in a final before which is a remarkable statistic… until you realise it’s probably because Richmond never make the finals.

Commentators
Anyone but Basil please. I would rather listen to paint dry.

Tip
The Richmond team has two settings:
1) How they play when you tip them (awful)
2) How they play when you tip against them (inspired)

You either are left bemoaning WHY ON EARTH you ignored 30+ years of inept football and backed them in. Or wondering how the dooslefudge did players like Houli, Grigg and Ellis light it up and topple the reigning premiers. I don’t think I’ve tipped a Richmond game correctly for five years (except for 2015 when I won the tips – see badge under avatar).

Whilst this is frustrating for tipsters, you must feel for Richmond fans. In fact the Richmond membership pack includes a cap, a key ring plus a complex combination of uppers and downers.

Richmond going well but I think we're going better. Add in a sore Dustin Martin and a 8-day vs 6-day break and I think it tips things in our favour.

Adelaide by 36 points.

I still think that Stephen Morris made Tex's tackle bad, Tex picked him up off the ground, but then Morris tried to kick the ball in mid-air and the momentum of his legs made him rotate and land head first. Had he not tried to kick the ball, he probably would have just landed on his back.

Who said this? Dean Laidley and Mark Thompson, 2006. I have the same warm, confident feeling about our team now as I did back then.

Interestingly, after destroying North Melbourne at home back in 2006 we traveled to Subiaco as favourites the next week to play West Coast…. and got absolutely annihilated by 82 points. That was ok though, because we ‘just didn’t turn up’ in that game so could write it off as an anomaly. It didn’t mean anything and was not a pointer towards what might occur in September.

As a little side not to this, I just went back and watched our thumping of Essendon in 2006 and had to chuckle when Cometti mentioned that this season "was one of the low points in this club's history". Little did they know... :D

Flaunting with our form
Much was made of Rory Atkins’ extreme makeover last week. Was it a sign that the club had taken its eye off the bat and ball and gone home? Judging by the Gold Coast game it would appear not. We won easily and Atkins was great. The level of outcry over haircolourgate was perhaps a mountain out of a tea cup.
You're not doing a Rooch here are you?? Start the outcry then make commentary on it? ;)

Whilst this is frustrating for tipsters, you must feel for Richmond fans. In fact the Richmond membership pack includes a cap, a key ring plus a complex combination of uppers and downers.
You forgot the Harvey Norman voucher for a new microwave

Richmond going well but I think we're going better. Add in a sore Dustin Martin and a 8-day vs 6-day break and I think it tips things in our favour.

Adelaide by 36 points.
If you think we were disappointed with an 11 goal win imagine how shattered we will be if we 'only' win by 6 goals. Its a cliché but a wins a win and you take any win. But ffs if this isn't 60+ I'm walking away frustrated.

Richmond are and have always been a confidence side. They lift for their crowd , so we need to take their travelers out of it and make some noise Sunday afternoon.

Good write up. Going to this with a Tiger friend and her partner and I'm glad it's two undefeated teams, should be a belter if I can see anything from The Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I asked a Tigers fan if they'd take a 5 point loss or chose to play out the game if they had a choice, they said they'd take the 5 point loss.

Well after watching their putrid performance vs Melbourne it's time to renegotiate. Tigers fans: you can take a 5 GOAL loss or play out the game, your call.

1. Home deck
2. 8-6 day break
3. Richmond played in heavy weather
4. I believe we have better structures
I get why we could be confident. But some of the rubbish over a few posts here is borderline arrogant.

We haven't won anything of meaning in over 20 years, we have no place calling 10 goal wins in round 6 against another undefeated team.

Excellent FOPost Drugs. I particularly like your para re how (in previous years) to beat Crows by absorbing a lot of pressure,clog up the D50, concede the I50s and score on rebound over the back.

Stifling our ball movement and frustrating us at stoppages by having us always working from the defensive side has weakened our way in previous years. I agree we seem more efficient this year and just hope we can wear the long stifling clogging periods and tough through it.
Richmond have some good contributors at the moment. Reckon this will be our first real tough slog for the year.

I get why we could be confident. But some of the rubbish over a few posts here is borderline arrogant.

We haven't won anything of meaning in over 20 years, we have no place calling 10 goal wins in round 6 against another undefeated team.

What have Richmond won in that time?

There's nothing wrong with looking at form and seeing how much better our club is playing than theirs.

They have only beaten a WCE who can't play the MCG and a Melbourne who would have smashed them if they weren't playing 2 players down all game.

Meanwhile we've beaten the rampaging GWS and Port who look like they will push the top 4.

This fake respect for a mediocre opponent is LESS respectful than calling the game as we see it based on form.

Its not about our performance over the last 20 years. Its our performances in the last 5 weeks v Richmonds that give me the arrogance and confidence to call a 10 goal win as a minimum standard.

It is time to get arrogant and put our foot on some teams throats and put pressure on other teams to beat us.

Maybe I've just got shell shock from every other time we've been like this only to have the carpet pulled out from under us. You know like the final round of the minor season last year.

Everyone loses games.

We're not going to win every game this season.

That doesn't mean you don't back your team in every week if you think they can/should win and win well.

Back