Preview Face-Off: Round 22 v the Swanettes

Assuming they both play, do you think the club is right to select Walker and Sloane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
It'll be interesting. We've secured Top 2 so how intense will we be for the full 120 minutes?

We are playing the form team over the last 3 months. If that isn't motivation to play at full tilt then what is? We have a chance to say to the rest of the comp we ARE the top dog. We have the chance to instil confidence in the entire squad that we are the real deal. Sorry but a win at home leading into finals against a strong opponent is critical to how well we do in finals. It's time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieCrow

All Australian
Oct 11, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide, Everton, NY Yankees
We are playing the form team over the last 3 months. If that isn't motivation to play at full tilt then what is? We have a chance to say to the rest of the comp we ARE the top dog. We have the chance to instil confidence in the entire squad that we are the real deal. Sorry but a win at home leading into finals against a strong opponent is critical to how well we do in finals. It's time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if we lose, we find out where we really are and what to change. As G Cornes says. "You learn much more from a loss than a victory". Although i always want to win, a strong loss might be of more use in the long run.

Remember when we played Hawthorn years ago and Massie stood Franklin and beat him? We thought it was a winning combination. A couple of weeks later in the finals we tried it again but Hawthorn and Buddy had learned from their mistakes and turned it on it's head. He starred and we lost.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
And if we lose, we find out where we really are and what to change. As G Cornes says. "You learn much more from a loss than a victory". Although i always want to win, a strong loss might be of more use in the long run.

Remember when we played Hawthorn years ago and Massie stood Franklin and beat him? We thought it was a winning combination. A couple of weeks later in the finals we tried it again but Hawthorn and Buddy had learned from their mistakes and turned it on it's head. He starred and we lost.
Massie didn't beat Franklin in that original matchup. The Hawthorn midfield kept kicking the ball over Franklin's head to where Massie was trailing some 5m behind. Neil Craig just had no respect for Hawthorn believing they wouldn't get it right come finals. Having said that, you're point stands.

I have to agree with this. Obviously anything I say will be viewed as Swans bias, but looking back on our last two grand final defeats, we were heavy favourites going into both games and sort of capitulated on both occasions. In hindsight I wish we were challenged a little more because we just dominated all of our finals en route to both GFs and spent most of both 14 and 16 on top or comfortably in the top 4 getting told all year how great we were. Even if you lose this week, it could be handy in ensuring your team stays grounded and continues to seek improvement. I wish the Swans could afford such an attitude but it's kinda must-win for us lol

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Got a bad feeling I'll be watching this game on the iPhone unless I can find a pub in Ingham Qld. that is A: open and B: showing AFL over league. :eek:

A tale of two Sydney's

First 6 Rounds 0-6 with 454 points for / 593 points against (0.77)
Last 6 Rounds 5-1 with 631 points for / 365 points against (1.73)

Since going 0wen6, we have only lost 2 games and both these to Hawthorn who play a possession\keepings off style against us particularly well.
I'm not sure that suits your mob TBH

Averaging just over 105 points for and only 60.8 against in the past 6 rounds.
Clearly the rebound from our defence starts a lot of our scoring drives, and the midfield works very hard both ways to assist the defence and aid the break on turnovers.

This is where I think the key difference will be, which midfield can work the defence to attack transition best after forcing turnovers.

If your mob win the first use\contested possessions in the middle and can get the ball forward quickly to get more 1 on 1's you should have the edge and get the choccies.
If we can stop this and minimise your I50's we should get up.

Just my $0.02

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
A tale of two Sydney's

Since going 0wen6, we have only lost 2 games and both these to Hawthorn who play a possession\keepings off style against us particularly well.

Clearly the rebound from our defence starts a lot of our scoring drives, and the midfield works very hard both ways to assist the defence and aid the break on turnovers.

This is where I think the key difference will be, which midfield can work the defence to attack transition best after forcing turnovers.

If your mob win the first use\contested possessions in the middle and can get the ball forward quickly to get more 1 on 1's you should have the edge and get the choccies.

Just my $0.02

I don't think you can count Richmond and Essendon as wins other than the score board. Neither game should have been lost by those 2 teams, says more about them, than Sydney's ability really.

Key comparable stats

Contested possessions
Adelaide 1st
Sydney 5th

Marks Inside 50
Adelaide 1st
Sydney 5th

Contested Marks
Adelaide 2nd
Sydney 6th

Hitouts
Adelaide 2nd
Sydney 12th

Clearances
Adelaide 3rd
Sydney 13th

Centre Clearances
Adelaide 5th
Sydney 13th

Stoppages
Adelaide 3rd
Sydney 11th

Inside 50s
Adelaide 1st
Sydney 9th

Sydney have a good defence but I feel the only real difference here is game style. A lot of teams score quickly against Adelaide due to turnovers from their fast play. Anyways, should be a good game. I say bring it on. The best beat the best and Sydney would be regarded as one of the best!

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Sydney have the ability more than any other side to make our half backs accountable.
Smith- Heeney
Brown- Papley
Laird- Hewett?
Plus they'll go in tall with Sinclair, Tippet, Buddy.
Naismith in Ruck
Our mids are going to have to work super hard to get back and help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hippyhippy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think you can count Richmond and Essendon as wins other than the score board. Neither game should have been lost by those 2 teams, says more about them, than Sydney's ability really.

Key comparable stats

Contested possessions
Adelaide 1st
Sydney 5th

Marks Inside 50
Adelaide 1st
Sydney 5th

Contested Marks
Adelaide 2nd
Sydney 6th

Hitouts
Adelaide 2nd
Sydney 12th

Clearances
Adelaide 3rd
Sydney 13th

Centre Clearances
Adelaide 5th
Sydney 13th

Stoppages
Adelaide 3rd
Sydney 11th

Inside 50s
Adelaide 1st
Sydney 9th

Sydney have a good defence but I feel the only real difference here is game style. A lot of teams score quickly against Adelaide due to turnovers from their fast play. Anyways, should be a good game. I say bring it on. The best beat the best and Sydney would be regarded as one of the best!
Maybe just compare the last 12 games if possible ... since thats when everyone else thinks the swannies season started. Their early injuries kinda crippled them. We should play cameron on rampe... hes their key.

Sydney have the ability more than any other side to make our half backs accountable.
Smith- Heeney
Brown- Papley
Laird- Hewett?
Plus they'll go in tall with Sinclair, Tippet, Buddy.
Naismith in Ruck
Our mids are going to have to work super hard to get back and help.

Naismith has been injured for the past couple of weeks so doubtful to return and travel to Adelaide

Sinclair\Tippett combo most likely with Sinclair given first go and Tippett at FF (hopefully clunking a few)

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Naismith has been injured for the past couple of weeks so doubtful to return and travel to Adelaide

Sinclair\Tippett combo most likely with Sinclair given first go and Tippett at FF (hopefully clunking a few)
Towers still an in?
Think the plan would still be to stretch us with the tall timber.

Towers still an in?
Think the plan would still be to stretch us with the tall timber.

Towers isn't an Out as yet.

Assuming JPK comes up good to go, someone will have to make way for his return and whoever that is at present will be a tad unlucky\stiff.

Only other potential out would possibly be Newman not coming up good after last week but no one would want to mess with the back 7 I'd imagine.

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Massie didn't beat Franklin in that original matchup. The Hawthorn midfield kept kicking the ball over Franklin's head to where Massie was trailing some 5m behind. Neil Craig just had no respect for Hawthorn believing they wouldn't get it right come finals. Having said that, you're point stands.
Craigy had no respect for any other sides, believed our best and our plan would beat all comers.

Pyke showed a few worrying signs of the same last year, but thankfully now we seem to be more prepared to adapt to and counter what our opponents throw at us.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sydney need to win this one. Crows don't need to win anything until the finals start.

I want to see a great finals-like game, but we have nothing at stake. I'm not sure we're going to get the usual breakneck intensity from the Crows, and with good reason.

The difference between the Crows and teams who play grand final type game styles in big games is that the Crows game style is natural and not manufactured week to week depending on the opposition. This means Pyke would have to either really manipulate the side to slow us down or the players drop right off their work load. Personally, I would rather we just play the same way, don't up the tempo though but not stuff around with the game style or player positions. Save the finals style for finals.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
You think the swans preview on there board was a bag the s**t out of the city of Adelaide more than a footy preview. weird lot.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
A tale of two Sydney's

Just my $0.02

I think you'll find most of our scores come from turnovers, rather than winning centre clearances. We're the highest scoring team from opposition turnovers. I think we're also the most efficient team at generating a scoring shot from our I50's.

So if Sydney are also playing that style then the game may be a little like the Essendon game, albeit with a Sydney team that can defend a heck of a lot better than Essendon can at the moment. That may mean it comes down to which team can make the most of the turnovers they create.

Does Sydney's game style change much in the wet?

I ask as it's mean to rain at least a little bit on Friday, so the ground will at least be water logged, even if it doesn't rain much during the game. So far this year the Crows have played a fairly similar game style in the wet and dry, which I've found quite surprising.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Key comparable stats

Contested possessions
Adelaide 1st
Sydney 5th

Marks Inside 50
Adelaide 1st
Sydney 5th

Contested Marks
Adelaide 2nd
Sydney 6th

Hitouts
Adelaide 2nd
Sydney 12th

Clearances
Adelaide 3rd
Sydney 13th

Centre Clearances
Adelaide 5th
Sydney 13th

Stoppages
Adelaide 3rd
Sydney 11th

Inside 50s
Adelaide 1st
Sydney 9th

What are the differentials on those stats? They are often a better measure of how well a team is at a particular stat.

For example, Adelaide is first for contested possessions, but is only about 4th for contested possession differential. This is because we have a very contested game style, resulting in our games having more contested possessions compared to other games.

Similarly, we rank well for total centre clearances simply because we score a lot of goals, so our games typically have more centre bounces than other teams, so our overall numbers will be high, even if we only win 50% of them.

whitey_1975

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Around the Bend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
All OZ BBallerz,PPenguins,CBengals
You think the swans preview on there board was a bag the s**t out of the city of Adelaide more than a footy preview. weird lot.
I lived in Sydney for 6 years. Its an awesome place to party, s**t place to live/ work unless your a millionaire. Got kids? Better win the lottery.

Back