Preview FACE OFF--ROUND 23, A FLIGHT TO THE TOP

Remove this Banner Ad

ZXHWIhJFZELvMX2xb4_Qu8pcj8g4V1WEYtfP0r44znZYJs02KI2At_eMc2OjHsYuBUu1Uqg9g43W3_g6tapkXgCjF_2eGQZu5Y8YWFI=w263-h332-nc

Don't tell us off because you have a crazy name for jam...
Jam and jelly are two different things. One goes on toast and the other goes in sandwiches. In Canada you'll get a peanut butter & jam sandwich, but honestly it's better with jelly. Don't tell my grandmother.

Jam and jelly are two different things. One goes on toast and the other goes in sandwiches. In Canada you'll get a peanut butter & jam sandwich, but honestly it's better with jelly. Don't tell my grandmother.

I put jelly on toast. :)

Yep its better than having the honey already mixed in with the peanut paste. Noticed I called it peanut paste and not butter. When I was a kid it was called paste so just to anti-change I have been defiant and no matter what I call it peanut paste. I guess that makes me tough.

I think it's peanut butter in Southern Regions and paste in the rest of the country. Always butter in Melbourne when I grew up.

I always thought that Jam was a lightly runny texture where the Americans tend to have a gel texture. Old fashion jam required a teaspoon to get the mixture out of a jar but the American jelly could be scooped out with a knife. Give me my mum's good old fashion apricot or nectarine jam. I used to scoop up the jam and just drop buts and pieces over the top of my cornflakes. Yum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell do the Yanks call jelly that you have for dessert then? I'm guessing jelo

What the hell do the Yanks call jelly that you have for dessert then? I'm guessing jelo
Depends on the level of fanciness. Jell-O is the brand name and probably the most commonly used name, but generically it's just called gelatin, or jelly if you're at a fancy place that wants to serve gelatin desserts but pretend they're worth paying $12 for.

The difference between jam and jelly is jelly is strained after being boiled or at some point in the process, so it's all the same near-liquid consistency and doesn't have any bits of fruit in it. Jam is not strained and might have bits of fruit in it.

Oh and Crows by 33

One winner in the lottery ! Tell me it is you AC.....I have some background in finance and can be Stateside by Sunday !

Your forever friend, skooby

Just remember AmericanCrow who was nice to you when you first turned up, and who suggested your avatar!

I noted in the Matt Crouch thread that Ryan Buckland at Onballers.com has come up with some new metrics.

I've done the Crows players on a couple of them (only include players who have played 5 or more games this season)

Best tacklers - number of disposals per tackle (the league average is 5.7)
Tackles.png
Interesting that Laird is not a big tackler given his output, and also clear that Hugh has taken over Curtly's role and Brad seems to be more defensively minded than Matt.

The next one is "Give Aways" - this is clangers minus frees against (which count as clangers) divided by disposals so this counts the percentage of disposals that lead to the other side getting the ball. The league average is 8.8% (FWIW Dangerfield this year is 9.4% and Martin 11.4%!, TMitchell 8.2%)

Give away.png
Mitch and Milera are our best, and for those who tihnk Jr is a step above CC in disposal, this is good evidence. Jake Kelly is bloody safe, surprisingly MUCH better than Lever. Hugh and Matt are our best mids and Brad really needs to work on his disposal.

And David Mackay....

[EDIT] Buckland counted only players who had played 15 games or more this season. Hartigan with 14 wasn't included, but if he was, he would have the worst give away % in the league - beating Dale Thomas whose 14.1% was the worst of players with 15+ games played (DMack was 3rd worst) ]

Incidentally the best Port player is Jonas with 5.9% and the worst is Trengrove with 13.3%, but overall Port's give away average is 9.6% while ours is 9.1%

Last edited:
I noted in the Matt Crouch thread that Ryan Buckland at Onballers.com has come up with some new metrics.

I've done the Crows players on a couple of them (only include players who have played 5 or more games this season)

Best tacklers - number of disposals per tackle (the league average is 5.7)
View attachment 407509
Interesting that Laird is not a big tackler given his output, and also clear that Hugh has taken over Curtly's role and Brad seems to be more defensively minded than Matt.

The next one is "Give Aways" - this is clangers minus frees against (which count as clangers) divided by disposals so this counts the percentage of disposals that lead to the other side getting the ball. The league average is 8.8% (FWIW Dangerfield this year is 9.4% and Martin 11.4%!, TMitchell 8.2%)

View attachment 407499
Mitch and Milera are our best, and for those who tihnk Jr is a step above CC in disposal, this is good evidence. Jake Kelly is bloody safe, surprisingly MUCH better than Lever. Hugh and Matt are our best mids and Brad really needs to work on his disposal.

And David Mackay....

Incidentally the best Port player is Jonas with 5.9% and the worst is Trengrove with 13.3%, but overall Port's give away average is 9.6% while ours is 9.1%
Good pick up re Mackay but the other notable was Kyle Hartigan in last place. Compare him to where other defenders are in that list and something is badly amiss. Even the risk taking Brodie Smith is mid table...and that's not Hartigan's game.

I'm a Hartigan fan and if he leapfrogs the more highly skilled Keath I really hope he plays within his limitations with ball in hand and sharpens his decision making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back