Preview FACE OFF--ROUND 23, A FLIGHT TO THE TOP

Remove this Banner Ad

I noted in the Matt Crouch thread that Ryan Buckland at Onballers.com has come up with some new metrics.

I've done the Crows players on a couple of them (only include players who have played 5 or more games this season)

Best tacklers - number of disposals per tackle (the league average is 5.7)

Interesting stats however they miss some key factors. I would expect The RAT to turn the ball over more than most players because he often attempts the killer pass and succeeds. Kelly should look good because he usually takes the safest option. The problem is players like Hartigan and Mackay who turn the ball over to much but rarely hurt the opposition with their disposals.

Interesting stats however they miss some key factors. I would expect The RAT to turn the ball over more than most players because he often attempts the killer pass and succeeds. Kelly should look good because he usually takes the safest option. The problem is players like Hartigan and Mackay who turn the ball over to much but rarely hurt the opposition with their disposals.
Sure, but not much point attempting the killer pass if your skills are not up to it - this stat might suggest RAt needs to work on knowing his limitations

When I was young we always used to buy peanut paste. It only started to be called butter after our culture became corrupted by Americanisms.

Different states obviously call it different things. It was peanut butter in Melbourne when I was a kid==many decades ago. Peanut paste was unheard of there. I first heard this argument in the early 60s when I was in the navy and first mixed with blokes from different states.

Different states obviously call it different things. It was peanut butter in Melbourne when I was a kid==many decades ago. Peanut paste was unheard of there. I first heard this argument in the early 60s when I was in the navy and first mixed with blokes from different states.

Good to find a fellow alumni. The Navy is my gravy.

Sure, but not much point attempting the killer pass if your skills are not up to it - this stat might suggest RAt needs to work on knowing his limitations
I think he just needs to make up his mind a bit quicker, he's good at finding time and space in congestion, it's just that in doing so he's getting caught out. The more he plays, the more opposition will work him out.

Our decision making on kicks, especially out of the defensive end is suspect across the board on occasion. I think they get caught up in making the perfect kick out of the defensive 50, instead of making the smart kick.

Last edited:
I think he just needs to make up his mind a bit quicker, he's good at finding time and space in congestion, it's just that in doing so he's getting caught out. The more he plays, the more opposition will work him out.
Yep - and that is part of knowing his limitations - sometimes you just have to choose the first option rather than look for the perfect one, because he is not good enough to avoid getting caught in the time it takes him to find that option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not convinced.

The RAT has made many, many passes into the corridor which have led to scoring opportunities. Have his "killer" passes created more goals than his turnovers cost goals? My gut feeling is yes but I have no evidence to back this up.

My impression is that our other outside mid, Bran Nue Mackae has made as many critical turnovers as The RAT but many less killer passes. BNM has improved his delivery to a leading forward but still bombs the ball far too often. The RAT rarely kicks it long and high to the opposition's loose man in defence but turns the ball over more often.

I'm not convinced.

The RAT has made many, many passes into the corridor which have led to scoring opportunities. Have his "killer" passes created more goals than his turnovers cost goals? My gut feeling is yes but I have no evidence to back this up.

My impression is that our other outside mid, Bran Nue Mackae has made as many critical turnovers as The RAT but many less killer passes. BNM has improved his delivery to a leading forward but still bombs the ball far too often. The RAT rarely kicks it long and high to the opposition's loose man in defence but turns the ball over more often.
Not every stat is meant to demonstrate every aspect of every player's game. This one combined with metres gained per disposal or score involvements per disposal might be a good indicator.

But for what it's worth I think RAT's disposal has been at times bloody dreadful. Far too often in the later half of this season his elite left foot has been more talked about than observed

The most interesting thing about this game won't be the result, but how we react to the result. We've deliberately rested 3 key players with basically nothing on the line, and West Coast have a lot to play for.

If we lose, just keep in mind that Sydney lost their last two games in 2012 and went on to win the flag. Our planning and management is clearly on the Qualifying Final, as it should be.

The most interesting thing about this game won't be the result, but how we react to the result. We've deliberately rested 3 key players with basically nothing on the line, and West Coast have a lot to play for.

If we lose, just keep in mind that Sydney lost their last two games in 2012 and went on to win the flag. Our planning and management is clearly on the Qualifying Final, as it should be.
Yes I agree result is meaningless (for us). It's more the mental application and us showing the hunger/mongrel and making a firm statement "we belong in the Finals and we're ready to bite anyone that comes our way!"

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about Australia and its people and culture (I live in the US but I'm Canadian, we generally try to know stuff about other countries) but the one thing I still can't figure out is whether anyone actually likes Vegemite or if it's just a joke you all play on foreigners.
The issue when many foreigners try it is they eat it by the spoonful. It's meant to be spread on toast according to your taste. Taking a spoonful of it is a form of torture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back