Votes: 5 10.4%
  • SMA

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted by kulak in the changes thread. Great summation

New
I live in Sydney and go to all of the Giants home games. I have done so every year they have been in the competition except for two years I was overseas, and one year with a young baby girl. She is now 12 months which is good for the chilled out Spotless atmosphere :footy:

GWS have lost their last four games. In the last three, they have basically broken even in the normal KPIs such as contested possessions and inside 50s - and yet they have lost all of those games easily.

Why?

It's easy to say GWS are badly coached. Let me give some more detail on the ways I think they are badly coached.

Defence

Their standard defence is too tall. They play four key defenders, currently:
- Mohr (while Davis is injured)
- Corr
- Haynes
- Tomlinson

They also have Buntine and Perryman as their mid defenders, who are nice rounded players, but again minimal offensive strength. Heath Shaw is a mark and kick player, he is getting on in years and does not provide much run.

Only Whitfield provides serious attack from defence.

I think they should replace one of the talls with a running player, say Mohr > Cumming, or even move another midfielder back there such as Callan Ward.

They do not capitalise on intercepts. When Haynes or whomever takes a great intercept mark, their normal play is to turn around, wait 10 seconds, and launch a slow kick 50 m down the line. That leaves lots of time for the defensive grid to setup.

Midfield

The 2016 orange tsunami play was pretty fun with the run and handball chains. That has been long figured out.

They haven't figured anything else out which works.

The two plays they try are:
- try to force a run and handball chain; overuse handball; get caught in the gridlock
- long kick down the line

How does this happen to a midfield with Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Ward...?!

I think they would do better if they had clear wingers who held position and created a more open field. That would create more space for their run, and more options for their kicking skills. But Leon seems to prefer everyone run around chasing the ball.

Attack

Two and three tall forwards consistently fly for the same ball. They don't seem to have the positional structure to isolate, lead in different directions, etc, which would let their talls get one-on-one contests.

Their small forwards are not good. Lloyd, Langdon and Buckley might not be getting a game for most other teams in the league. That one isn't Leon's fault. Toby Greene is injured and there is no-one else good on their list.

Summary

They are the worst at converting their effort into reward because of a combination of:
- selecting a defence with no run
- slow plays which don't capitalise on turnovers
- a midfield and forward line which have no positional discipline and mean everyone goes at the same ball

How do we beat them?

1. Break roughly even in the midfield contest. This should be fine as they don't have a contested brute of the type which would normally bulldoze us.
2. Apply enough pressure that they can't get their handball chains going. This should be fine as it requires only effort and attention to detail.
3. Don't let Whitfield get 30 possessions. I would assign a defensive forward to him.

That's it I reckon.

Just play our normal positional game, work hard, don't let Whitfield get 3 Brownlow votes - and it should be a regulation win.

Head above water til the bye.

If we split the four games 2-2 (need 2-1 now...) and put the brakes on the injury list we'll be ok.

This is a must win though. Freo away and Hawks away are winnable but tough.

The way both teams have been going with injuries this might turn into a war of attrition resulting in a pyrrhic victory.
Could there be a gentleman's agreement between coaches to play with 15?

Could there be a gentleman's agreement between coaches to play with 15?
There might be.

Didn't we have a preseason game against the Giants one year where we lost so many players that we asked them to finish the game early and they accepted?

Crows by 38.

It won't mean anything except 4 points and keeping in touch with the top 8. Note - top 8, not top 4.

We have to win enough games to play finals while we get our players back gradually.

Top 4 is naturally preferable, but to me there's only one stand out team, the Eagles, so getting to/winning the grand final is doable from any position in the 8 this year.

The top teams will be pooing their pants if we have our best players on the park come finals time. We haven't had that in any of our finals since what, 2005? Maybe this year works in reverse. Instead of losing key players for finals, we'll actually get them back in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giants Indigenous Jumper

GWS_Giants_2018_Indigenous_Guernsey_110_s_m_l_xl_2xl_3xl_5xl_all_2.jpg

so anyone with more footy nouse than me (some would say that is 99% of the population), I want to talk about Fog.

now going by this board he had an ok game last week against the dees (he is 18) my question is, what is considered a pass mark for him and what is considered a break out game?

I understand at 18 its hard, but should be expect him to get a RSN type performance this year? or...this match?
Mate he's not AFL prepared body wise . Yes he's big and strong but it's a running game that requires 120 mins of repeat efforts

He's got about 5 good moments per game in him and that won't change this year

Don't mind that we are playing him though , we have a great chance to turnover some poor depth on our list at need of year with some talent and they can come through with Fog at the forefront

Until then it's a patience game with Fog and let's enjoy those 5 moments a game that will be more like 10 next year and so on

Back