Random Facebook - Hate it .....or live by it?

Remove this Banner Ad

I fecking hate Facebook. But that is me.

I recognise FB has changed the world and good on them. Pity they could not manage an IPO but thats my pleasure and not the premise of the OP.

FB has so many positives such as getting in touch with old friends, or girlfriends or in the case of Henry Jr boyfriends.

You can post pictures and tell people that you are sitting on the toilet, how you're feeling and feel good by having 1000 friends.

It certainly does not rock my boat. I personally don't like to be public, I am completely opposite, I don't want to get in touch with old friends, don't want to share photos (I feel my photos are private and usually an indication of my imagination). Finally I don't care about having 1000 friends for the hell of it.

As a person who is a little older i'm concerned about FB and the impact on kids and their actions but that is a different story.

In summary, i'm not on FB and will not be on FB.

Are you on FB? what do you see as positives and negatives of the site.

I hate it and don't have it or want it. Can't believe how much information people divulge about themselves - boggles the mind. People should actually get on with living their lives instead of posting about it (as she posts on this forum :)

I'm on Facebook, and I love it. I don't post about going to the toilet, or inane things, but more or less use it to keep in contact with people. I have found it especially useful to catch up with old friends and keep in touch with newer friends that move away. It is a great wy to communicate with people, if you use it in the right way. But it can be abused and be used in a negative way as well. I suppose that's the side you need to be careful to steer clear of.

I've met some amazing people on Facebook, and I've caught up with people from many many moons ago that I thought I'd never ever see again. So for me, it's a beautiful thing.

You know what's worse than people on Facebook who go over the top and post all sorts of diatribes and whines about their day....people who aren't even on Facebook who still find the time complain about it. ;)

Personally, I always find it amusing when people who aren't on Facebook(as is there choice) carry on like they breathe some sort of rarified air for doing so. Not saying this is the case with you, GH, but it's often the less than social weirdo's that I know who refuse to join up and think they are trendsetters for doing so. The thing is though, it's these very same people who are left out of the loop, and who then are left isolated.

One example, is a guy I know who claims that Facebook is something he doesn't need to have friends or connections. He hired out an entire bar for his 30th....about 5 people turned up. Now, I'm not suggesting that he'd be hosting party of the year had he a Facebook account, but I can garantee he'd not be so disconnected from his so called "friends".

Another one if my mates goes through stages where he believes Facebook, is as GH claims, an invasion of privacy. He announces to all his friends that he's leaving, and closing down his account for fear of his information being used by global corporations, only to return months later and announce once again that he's back!
And guess what, in that time....the world never exploded, barcodes weren't tattooed on foreheads, the illuminati didn't render us dead as a species, etc, etc. People just went about posting tidbits of information about their lives, without a care in the world.
Note: I find it quite funny, this same guy is a smoker....worried so much about whether coca cola will tailor advertising campaigns to his liking, yet apparently fine with the prospect that he's throwing a cancer stick in his gob once an hour and increasing the chance that his children will have to witness his demise. But that's another story.

Anyway, getting back to Facebook, I find similarities between non-users thoughts on those who have an account and racism or stereotypical generalisations built on assumptions and a lack of understanding.
I don't know how many times I've read comments about Facebook users suggesting that everyone on it uses it exactly the same(that we all update it constantly, that we post every photo we take, etc).

Facebook is what you make of it. Either you take yourself seriously or you don't. Post funny observations or whinge about your day. Update the world as to how many hours sleep your newborn got last night, or log in once a week to see what you've missed.

It's up to the individual really.

Personally, I always find it amusing when people who aren't on Facebook(as is there choice) carry on like they breathe some sort of rarified air for doing so. Not saying this is the case with you, GH, but it's often the less than social weirdo's that I know who refuse to join up and think they are trendsetters for doing so. The thing is though, it's these very same people who are left out of the loop, and who then are left isolated.

Its based on the sheep factor really isn't it. You don't have to be on there but as Echols says, you will be the one missing out on what others are doing/saying ect.

I post no personal details on my wall, no photos ect. I invite only those people I need to.

I use it more to catch up with others, rather than posting crap about myself.

If you have no mates like GH, then you don't need facebook. Its as simple as that.

Hate it. However it's the only way I can know what my grandchildren in Oz are up, as nobody there is in touch, saying I left them. That's afte their mother dragged them off to Perth.

Sorry guys, I'll leave it there.

Ps My daughter is a mad Pie fan. Hope we kill them.

Exactly thats why I have a dog.
what type of dog is it? maybe you could post a photo on facebook? i have a similar attitude to yours but i can also see its usefulness to disseminate info to a broader audience of friends etc.

apparently facebook purchased instagram for something like $1B, surely someone could have told them it was free on the app store.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never used it. I don't need to know when my nanna had her last dump or when is my 13 year old cousins dogs birthday.
Your family may need some serious help.

What kind of people do you hang around with if they're posting about taking a s**t?
I don't use FB so i don't know anyone posting about turds. I was saying its used for useless information, although i've never seen anyone posting about turds i think this would go under useless information, May have been an exaggeration, or people posting - FML - and don't say anything else, just after attention like 13 y/o girls.

You know what's worse than people on Facebook who go over the top and post all sorts of diatribes and whines about their day....people who aren't even on Facebook who still find the time complain about it. ;)

One example, is a guy I know who claims that Facebook is something he doesn't need to have friends or connections. He hired out an entire bar for his 30th....about 5 people turned up. Now, I'm not suggesting that he'd be hosting party of the year had he a Facebook account, but I can garantee he'd not be so disconnected from his so called "friends".

Another one if my mates goes through stages where he believes Facebook, is as GH claims, an invasion of privacy. He announces to all his friends that he's leaving, and closing down his account for fear of his information being used by global corporations, only to return months later and announce once again that he's back!
And guess what, in that time....the world never exploded, barcodes weren't tattooed on foreheads, the illuminati didn't render us dead as a species, etc, etc. People just went about posting tidbits of information about their lives, without a care in the world.
Note: I find it quite funny, this same guy is a smoker....worried so much about whether coca cola will tailor advertising campaigns to his liking, yet apparently fine with the prospect that he's throwing a cancer stick in his gob once an hour and increasing the chance that his children will have to witness his demise. But that's another story.

Anyway, getting back to Facebook, I find similarities between non-users thoughts on those who have an account and racism or stereotypical generalisations built on assumptions and a lack of understanding.
I don't know how many times I've read comments about Facebook users suggesting that everyone on it uses it exactly the same(that we all update it constantly, that we post every photo we take, etc).

Facebook is what you make of it. Either you take yourself seriously or you don't. Post funny observations or whinge about your day. Update the world as to how many hours sleep your newborn got last night, or log in once a week to see what you've missed.

It's up to the individual really.

Great post Echols! Especially the first sentence.

I also have friends that decide they will quit Facebook, only to then return in a few weeks or months.

I understand how the OP doesn't like how people post about mundane things or whinge about their lives. Some of my contacts on there do it and you wonder how they don't see how silly they look. However, hardly any of my friends post this kind of stuf thankfully.

Also your last point is a good one. I, myself just love having a laugh with friends on it. I rarely ever post a serious status, mainly it's me taking the piss out of myself or friends :)

Hate it- and have been pressured to join and resisted and then made fun of for not staying up with the "cool crowd". The idea is fine but the knowledge that so much of people's details can be found in a second with photos/work/life details etc, I know that it will be used for evil rather than good if it already isn't.

Knowing that the kids of Australia are growing up on a diet of it too is killing me softly inside. Plus the fact that pretty much anybody with a slight knowledge of PCs can find out nearly anything about you doesn't sit right with me; I know at least two dudes that use it as they term "getting their stalk on".

Twitter is far more productive and you get a whole lot more use out of it than you would from FB..If i never had family in the Philippines and England and Italy then i wouldn't have it.
Knowing when some one had a vegitmine sandwich is not very intersting!!!

It is what you make of it, I love it, it's always good to have a laugh and take the piss out of mates on there, setting them up with really inappropriate comments and such. Also, having a laugh at some of the people's depressing woe is me status's is always good fun. It has also been the best thing for me keeping in contact with the people I've met travelling. Especially the girl I had a summer romance with back in the states! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back