Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Forgive me if this is not allowed to be posted here - but does anyone actually give a crap about the news being banned from facebook aside from the damage it did to a few pages that didn't necessarily need to be included in it (Betoota for instance?)

If anything, it's supposed to be a social media platform, not an official media platform.

Am I missing something that's so important to others?

Forgive me if this is not allowed to be posted here - but does anyone actually give a crap about the news being banned from facebook aside from the damage it did to a few pages that didn't necessarily need to be included in it (Betoota for instance?)

If anything, it's supposed to be a social media platform, not an official media platform.

Am I missing something that's so important to others?
Bigger picture

FB is deciding what people see on a platform used by billions. They blocked SA Health posting and they're trying to boss around governments

You can't have censoring of information. This is a giant problem if governments cave to this, not just about 'a few news pages and betoota'. Our government is for once doing something right and people are overall too dumb to think about things beyond what they see. "I only look at xyz, I'm unaffected, who cares" doesn't cut it at some point. Good on us standing up to Zuckerc*nt.

When they censor or block some news and not all, they're a publisher and not an information host. New rules they have to adhere to (rightly)

I use FB but have to admit that when I want to read 'news' I go to a news site. Besides, mainstream 'news' is mostly bs these days, you could easily go a week without reading it and not miss out on anything that matters. Same goes for FB itself.

Bigger picture

FB is deciding what people see on a platform used by billions. They blocked SA Health posting and they're trying to boss around governments

You can't have censoring of information. This is a giant problem if governments cave to this, not just about 'a few news pages and betoota'. Our government is for once doing something right and people are overall too dumb to think about things beyond what they see. "I only look at xyz, I'm unaffected, who cares" doesn't cut it at some point. Good on us standing up to Zuckerc*nt.

When they censor or block some news and not all, they're a publisher and not an information host. New rules they have to adhere to (rightly)
lol, why should i give a flying * what is allowed on facebook or not?
Why are there so many of you knobends parading around virtual signalling every which way you can for the good of all mankind?
Give it a rest champ.
We will all be ok.

In principle I don't think it's a bad thing that people are forced to seek out a news site to read the news, rather than having the articles they see curated by a social media algorithm. Whether in practice people actually do that, I guess is a bit unclear. Possibly people will just stop reading Australian news altogether and we will all end up more ignorant and uninformed.

I agree it's problematic when public service information from government departments is blocked, OTOH couldn't give a s**t about poorly-written clickbait like Betoota

In principle I don't think it's a bad thing that people are forced to seek out a news site to read the news, rather than having the articles they see curated by a social media algorithm. Whether in practice people actually do that, I guess is a bit unclear. Possibly people will just stop reading Australian news altogether and we will all end up more ignorant and uninformed.

I agree it's problematic when public service information from government departments is blocked, OTOH couldn't give a sh*t about poorly-written clickbait like Betoota
It isnt about betoota and s**t though. The precedent being set is the issue

Or further to that, why shouldnt FB pay for the content theyre using?

Last edited:
It isnt about betoota and sh*t though. The precedent being set is the issue

Or further to that, why shouldnt FB pay for the content theyre using?

Let's flip that around, why should Facebook be forced to pay for content they don't want?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Farcebook is trying to social engineer society towards their chosen leftist agenda.
FFC49066D15ADED082E785DA4F4AE4380D72339A

Let's flip that around, why should Facebook be forced to pay for content they don't want?
Theyre profiting off it and on top of that pay zero tax here...

Our government for once does the right thing and aussies are too dumb to see it. Whether you use FB or not (i dont have an account) the decision itself is the right one

Facebook's primary issue with the legislation wasn't that it would cost them money, it allowed regulators access to the ranking algorithms they use for their content.

The sort of thing that could potentially show Facebook de-ranking or shadow banning content relating to Chinese treatment of their Uighurs.
Then the questions about how much that policy made in income being made public, which could cost their brand both reputation and a lot of money.

That's the big picture play here.

I agree it's problematic when public service information from government departments is blocked, OTOH couldn't give a sh*t about poorly-written clickbait like Betoota
I’d hate to defend Facebook but were they posting the news for free? Every link I ever saw took you to a subscription page.

Last edited:
Other than being unable to read people's poorly written arguments against headlines of articles they haven't even read, not much changes for me. I subscribe to newspapers, and to BigFooty out of a sense of obligation for the bandwidth I potentially chew up. I like to think my little contribution is the difference between 2 and 3 ply embossed while Chief sits on his golden toilet.
I donate to Wikipedia, I'm constantly there.

I know people worry about misinformation becoming rife without proper news available. But it was already there! Some people can't be helped, and this talk of misinformation covering the landscape is very much a euphemism along the lines of - what will stupid people read now? The answer is, it never mattered.

Replace 'news' with the words 'click bait' and you'll have a more accurate summary of what's been lost on Facebook this week. Even otherwise respectable channels appear to post misleading titles, or frivolous items, to encourage rage posting, arguments and habitual clicking. Facebook is a toxic place if you don't prune all the nonsense out of it. They probably just did a lot of Australians a favour. If the news ever comes back, just block any site that appears on your feed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back