Facebook vs Scomo and Frypan

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How do we all see this move by Facebook?

Are there any arguments supporting Facebook's move?

Or is it good to get the mindless fools who get their news of all flavours and truths on Facebook to actually get them from sources and spend less time on this platform?

How do we all see this move by Facebook?

Are there any arguments supporting Facebook's move?

Or is it good to get the mindless fools who get their news of all flavours and truths on Facebook to actually get them from sources and spend less time on this platform?
I'm with FB

murdochs ****ed our nbn, taken sports off of FTA depriving lower-income households of 1 of their few joys in life each week ( thereby heightening angst which then gets given a dose of 'roids by the culture war games they start EVERY ******* DAY ), and now he wants to * our websites ????

ENOUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Plenty of other apps like Feedly and Flipboard although not sure how these smaller content aggregators will be affected by this law change.

No fan of Facebook at all, but if they don't want to pay for content, then they don't have to. I can't work out how you can justify forcing a company to pay for goods or services. A price gets set, a company then decides whether they want to pay for it or not - that's how it should work yeah ?

Eventually some agreement will be found. They always are on these things. Facebook's main issue is how this will play out in the US and the EU.

I read a doozie of a line earlier today but can't find it now. Went along the lines of "The law is designed to redress the balance between the big tech and media companies and the smaller players in the market"... Anyone buying that needs their head checked.

Quick question because I can't seem to find a straight answer here - has this law been passed or was this a warning shot from Facebook as to what it will look like if it gets passed?

Also... obviously the initial implementation was pretty ****ed with a number of health services and sporting clubs finding themselves in the crossfire, but I believe the majority of that has been rectified (maybe?).

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Honestly its a spectacular own goal by the LNP. People who'd never vote for them typically dont use FB so its not really affecting them, whilst their right leaning, racist, misogynistic base are frothing at the mouth not being able to get their news from Facebook. FB called their bluff over these media laws and its amazing.

All we need now is for Google to pull out of the country. Imagine not being able to use Google search, or their API on your phone. That's when the s**t will truly hit the fan. GG LNP, between this and the staffer sexual assault scandal I reckon its been a pretty bad week for them, could be the undoing.

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's a tough one. Facebook are a private company, they're not a utility so they can do what they want. The reaction has been a bit OTT.

There are big issues about the size and lack of competition to Google, Facebook and Amazon which must be addressed.

There are also big issues with the media industry. They get less advertising revenue online which means good quality investigative journalism or local news is missing out.

My concern with a media bargaining agreement is that the big media players (Murdoch and co) will strike deals with Google and Facebook and get BIGGER. The smaller independent and local news outlets won't benefit.

I would much rather better competition rules (to stem the dominance of big tech) and TAX them appropriately so we can give some of this money to the smaller press outlets that need it.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Plenty of other apps like Feedly and Flipboard although not sure how these smaller content aggregators will be affected by this law change.

No fan of Facebook at all, but if they don't want to pay for content, then they don't have to. I can't work out how you can justify forcing a company to pay for goods or services. A price gets set, a company then decides whether they want to pay for it or not - that's how it should work yeah ?

Eventually some agreement will be found. They always are on these things. Facebook's main issue is how this will play out in the US and the EU.

I read a doozie of a line earlier today but can't find it now. Went along the lines of "The law is designed to redress the balance between the big tech and media companies and the smaller players in the market"... Anyone buying that needs their head checked.

Quick question because I can't seem to find a straight answer here - has this law been passed or was this a warning shot from Facebook as to what it will look like if it gets passed?

Also... obviously the initial implementation was pretty f’ed with a number of health services and sporting clubs finding themselves in the crossfire, but I believe the majority of that has been rectified (maybe?).

I wonder which NEWS organisation stands to benefit the most? We might never know cos the transaction does not happen here

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I am of a generation that existed quite happily for decades without Facebook. I shut down my Facebook account years ago when I felt it was invading my privacy and I have not regretted it.

This may be a blessing as it may leave Facebook to operate as it was originally intended, a social media platform and not a disseminator of news fake or otherwise.

It is not often the Government and the Opposition are on the same page but last night on the ABC's Q&A the shadow Minister was actually urging the Minister not to cave in to Facebook.

Anyone who feels hard done by only has to download the ABC News app and leave Facebook for social networking.

Perhaps the most distasteful aspect of Facebook's actions is the decision to take down Government and community service announcements such as bushfire warnings, charity services such as Foodbank and Meals on Wheels etc. They could have made a point without going that far and I do not think their actions will win many friends. I note that Facebook is backtracking and has suggested it will reinstate the pages but it is still not a good look for Facebook and has drawn attention from around the globe.

Last edited:
I am of a generation that existed quite happily for decades without Facebook. I shut down my Facebook account years ago when I felt it was invading my privacy and I have not regretted it.

This may be a blessing as it may leave Facebook to operate as it was originally intended, a social media platform and not a disseminator of news fake or otherwise.

It is not often the Government and the Opposition are on the same page but last night on the ABC's Q&A the shadow Minister was actually urging the Minister not to cave in to Facebook.

Anyone who feels hard done by only has to download the ABC News app and leave Facebook for social networking.

Perhaps the most distasteful aspect of Facebook's actions is the decision to take down Government and community service announcements such as bushfire warnings, charity services such as Foodbank and Meals on Wheels etc. They could have made a point without going that far and I do not think their actions will win many friends. I note that Facebook is backtracking and has suggested it will reinstate the pages but it is still not a good look for Facebook and has drawn attention from around the globe.

This is one part I genuinely don't get

A cyclone is coming, do I go to the Bom website? No, I go to Facebook. Or a bushfire is approaching. Do I listen to emergency broadcasting on ABC Radio, or go to the fire service website? No, I go to Facebook

Sorry, but I call bullshit on that.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
This is one part I genuinely don't get

A cyclone is coming, do I go to the Bom website? No, I go to Facebook. Or a bushfire is approaching. Do I listen to emergency broadcasting on ABC Radio, or go to the fire service website? No, I go to Facebook

Sorry, but I call bullshit on that.

A wake up for those organisations who’ve neglected their www for the ‘ease’ of facebook

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If someone can show me the link between advertising revenue and news content I’d love to see it. Yeah, nah, this is a blatant display of partisanship between News limited and the LNP. It’s a timely reminder of why the www was created in the first place; to link web users to other sites.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Facebook have declared that actual news has no place on their platform. Conspiracy theories and hate groups are perfectly okay though.

And cat pics. So many cat pics.

A friend of mine is complaining because 90% of the content he followed disappeared. I think less of him now.

Rather than going to ABC and looking for the stories he felt were important he relied on others to decide for him.

And for all of Google's sabre rattling they folded very quickly.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If someone can show me the link between advertising revenue and news content I’d love to see it. Yeah, nah, this is a blatant display of partisanship between News limited and the NLP. It’s a timely reminder of why the www was created in the first place; to link web users to other sites.

Where do you think Google gets all its billions of dollars each year ?

And Facebook ?

You realise Labor are in favour of this Legislation too?

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Where do you think Google gets all its billions of dollars each year ?

And Facebook ?

You realise Labor are in favour of this Legislation too?

Not only does this legislation appear to have bi partisan support in Australia but several overseas Governments are taking a keen interest. I think that is why Mark Zuckerberg has taken such an aggressive approach. Put the Australians in their place lest the rest of them start getting ideas.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not only does this legislation appear to have bi partisan support in Australia but several overseas Governments are taking a keen interest. I think that is why Mark Zuckerberg has taken such an aggressive approach. Put the Australians in their place lest the rest of them start getting ideas.

For sure. FB and Google have basically been stealing content for years and profiting off it. Its their prime money earner.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

China now Facebook. We are becoming the rotten head on a spike to serve as a warning to others. Better when we were ignored

Back