Facebook vs Scomo and Frypan

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, Facebook got three pages of proposed amendments passed including one in which, according to itNews:

The amendments, which will be introduced today, will see the government take into account existing commercial deals with media companies when designating tech companies under the code.

It will effectively mean tech giants such Google and Facebook can escape inclusion, as long as they have “made a significant contribution to the sustainability of the Australian news industry”.

So, all Facebook and Google need to do is argue that they are making a significant contribution to the Australian news industry through their agreements - and the provisions won't apply to them.

OTOH, the Govt got "re-friended". If the rest of the world was "watching to see how Australia regulates Big Tech", they'd be rather disappointed. At least Abbott would have threatened Zuck with a shirtfront.

"Australia makes laws that advance our national interest and we won’t be responding to coercion or heavy-handed tactics, wherever they come from," Mr Frydenberg said. "We want a sustainable media environment and key to that is to seek payment for original journalistic content.
"And so we’re committed to these reforms – we won’t be bullied, no matter how big the international company is, no matter how powerful they are, no matter how valuable they are."

So it’s a mining tax type legislation. Except these people pay very little tax

Well, Facebook got three pages of proposed amendments passed including one in which, according to itNews:

The amendments, which will be introduced today, will see the government take into account existing commercial deals with media companies when designating tech companies under the code.

It will effectively mean tech giants such Google and Facebook can escape inclusion, as long as they have “made a significant contribution to the sustainability of the Australian news industry”.

So, all Facebook and Google need to do is argue that they are making a significant contribution to the Australian news industry through their agreements - and the provisions won't apply to them.

OTOH, the Govt got "re-friended". If the rest of the world was "watching to see how Australia regulates Big Tech", they'd be rather disappointed. At least Abbott would have threatened Zuck with a shirtfront.

"Australia makes laws that advance our national interest and we won’t be responding to coercion or heavy-handed tactics, wherever they come from," Mr Frydenberg said. "We want a sustainable media environment and key to that is to seek payment for original journalistic content.
"And so we’re committed to these reforms – we won’t be bullied, no matter how big the international company is, no matter how powerful they are, no matter how valuable they are."

So the big fish they wanted to get money out of will basically get off without paying much if anything? I think i know who won

I like using Facebook but I am far from a fan of Facebook the organization. So I'm loathe to take their side in this.

But I don't understand why they should pay news organizations for their FB content.

These organizations are on the platform voluntarily and share the content themselves. Why should they be paid for that?

If the news organizations weren't on FB and FB was pinching content from their websites, I'd understand.

If the news organizations don't like not being paid for what they post on FB, nothing is making them stay on the platform.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back