Society & Culture Facebook

Remove this Banner Ad

Another update this week to the Android app, 'Most Recent' option for news feed made even harder to find. Only a matter of time before the campaigners do away with it altogether, at which time I'll probably uninstall it.

What's with these coloured squares that people are posting? God they're annoying.

I'm looking for a confirmation here.

If someone has deleted me, and prevented me from messaging them on messenger, does that mean they've blocked me? It says either this person is unavailable on mobile devices, but you cannot reply to this conversation.

Second question, involves the new emotions you can send people in the messenger service. Would they still get these if I sent them. Anyone willing to test it out?

If someone has deleted me, and prevented me from messaging them on messenger, does that mean they've blocked me? It says either this person is unavailable on mobile devices, but you cannot reply to this conversation.

Second question, involves the new emotions you can send people in the messenger service. Would they still get these if I sent them. Anyone willing to test it out?
So you like her, huh?

Sounds like this person has blocked you because you can still send someone a message on Facebook messenger even if you are not Facebook Friends.

I havent really used the new emotions (yet)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had some fun messing with people as Alf Stewart for years on facebook, especially people from other countries who think Alf is a real person. Must have been banned nearly 50 times. You'd think if they were serious about getting rid of trolls they'd IP ban users, although there are ways around that, too. When I deactivated for a month some other guy tried to do the doodleburger persona and everyone said he was s**t. I did notice a lot of the people with Alf accounts can't spell for s**t or come up with any jokes of their own within the spirit of the Hannibal Lecter meets Mick Taylor character that guy crafted.

I'm deleting my account, though; it takes two weeks before it actually deletes. I was in some big atheist groups that kind of splintered off into smaller groups due to infighting and came to discover that there were a lot of those mgtow/alt-right/fedora tipping "new" atheist types in them who just piss me off, especially with their anti-Muslim Andrew Bolt dick smoking bullshit. Unfortunately many seem to like that offensive dark humour doodleburger is known for but they lose their s**t if anyone calls them a racist or a bigot which is ironic.

I unfollowed a lot of accounts but like a trainwreck I couldn't take my eyes off I kept on checking to see what the doucheturds were posting. The fb comments section for politics and social issues is up there with youtube in terms of being a cesspool of scum and idiocy. That combined with other inane crap people post about that's been mentioned in this thread makes me think nothing of value is really lost by not being on fb. I'm also more convinced than ever from being on there that the backfire effect is a real phenomenon, not some social science gobbledygook.

Last edited:
I had some fun messing with people as Alf Stewart for years on facebook, especially people from other countries who think Alf is a real person. Must have been banned nearly 50 times. You'd think if they were serious about getting rid of trolls they'd IP ban users, although there are ways around that, too. When I deactivated for a month some other guy tried to do the doodleburger persona and everyone said he was s**t. I did notice a lot of the people with Alf accounts can't spell for s**t or come up with any jokes of their own within the spirit of the Hannibal Lecter meets Mick Taylor character that guy crafted. I'm deleting my account, though; it takes two weeks before it actually deletes. I was in some big atheist groups that kind of splintered off into smaller groups due to infighting and came to discover that there were a lot of those mgtow/alt-right/fedora tipping "new" atheist types in them who just piss me off, especially with their anti-Muslim Andrew Bolt dick smoking bullshit. Unfortunately many seem to like that offensive dark humour doodleburger is known for but they lose their s**t if anyone calls them a racist or a bigot which is ironic. I unfollowed a lot of accounts but like a trainwreck I couldn't take my eyes off I kept on checking to see what the doucheturds were posting. The fb comments section for politics and social issues is up there with youtube in terms of being a cesspool of scum and idiocy. That combined with other inane crap people post about that's been mentioned in this thread makes me think nothing of value is really lost by not being on fb. I'm also more convinced than ever from being on there that the backfire effect is a real phenomenon, not some social science gobbledygook.
Paragraphs

All Facebook now is stupid ads and feel good stuff. Hardly anyone posts status updates anymore.

don't forget to add "friend-versaries" with the almost mandatory "omg, feels like longer" caption,

nor overlook that the newsfeed pretty much being "xxxxxxxx liked this, xxxxxxx commented on this, xxxxxxxxx replied to a comment on this".
Shitty memes being liked becoming feed-worthy events is when FB jumped the shark for mine.

nor overlook that the newsfeed pretty much being "xxxxxxxx liked this, xxxxxxx commented on this, xxxxxxxxx replied to a comment on this".
Shitty memes being liked becoming feed-worthy events is when FB jumped the shark for mine.
This.

I've spent a good minute sometimes trying to figure out which friend has been tagged in the photo, then realise it's none of them. I reckon it should only come onto your needs feed if it's interact between two friends of yours.
Though FB do a good job at promoting activity from people that you interact with more.

And the biggest thing that shits me is when people post photos for birthday from when they were young. I couldn't care less. What happened to the basic "Happy Birthday >>insert name here<<."? If you are going to do this s**t, can you not remind me of how little friends I actually have.

don't forget to add "friend-versaries" with the almost mandatory "omg, feels like longer" caption,

Especially when half of those comments are just one person tagging another person. Send them a private message if you want to draw the stupid meme to their attention instead of clogging up my news feed with it.

On The Morning Show we have mummy Facebook blogger from Perth with her child Alaska.

(On break at work with a TV in the background)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back