Society & Culture Facebook

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Read this article, plus a few others in today's Age (can't find them online atm).

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-li...-people-more-social-study-20101124-1866s.html

How influential is Facebook in your life? I guess you could call this a spin off from the 'could you survive without the internet/technology' thread, but there are those who can't go 30-60m without checking and updating and checking in on their phones, every single day. Others will log on once in a blue moon, if that.

Is it ultimately a good thing or a bad thing for us? IMO it comes down to whether or not you control it, or if you allow it to control you. I suppose it just opens up so many possibilities - the entire world is linked together and can be reached in seconds, if that. It's made the world smaller, but is result a positive or negative?

HSSB

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Boston Celtics - GWS Giants
My Facebook feed is going out of control with everyone thinking it is closing down

Apr 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC - MVFC - Socceroos.
TBH the influence Facebook had on my life started to concern me a few weeks ago, I tend not to go on it, or at least try to limit my use of it lately... sometimes I check it a lot, sometimes I don't.

It can play havoc on you, never before have people's marital status, popularity, activities etc been so public... Also the fact the feed only filters certain stuff to you, and FB picks up when you check the same profiles again and again, which is ok for between friends, but not when you're checking out a girl or something. I think if you told me 10 years ago about FB I wouldn't have joined it.

BlowJobe

Team Captain
Suspended
May 6, 2010
London
AFL Club
Essendon
In terms of my local friendship circles/high school and uni mates etc. I don't think I would be that bothered if it closed.

If it shut down I would really only care about it being harder to keep in touch with and see what my mates who live overseas are up to. It has it's faults and annoyances but is easily the best way to communite regularly and cheaply with multiple people living in different countries.

Football God

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man utd, miami dolphins
TBH the influence Facebook had on my life started to concern me a few weeks ago, I tend not to go on it, or at least try to limit my use of it lately... sometimes I check it a lot, sometimes I don't.

It can play havoc on you, never before have people's marital status, popularity, activities etc been so public... Also the fact the feed only filters certain stuff to you, and FB picks up when you check the same profiles again and again, which is ok for between friends, but not when you're checking out a girl or something. I think if you told me 10 years ago about FB I wouldn't have joined it.
people can see this? i've seen apps on fb about this s**t but its all fake from what i know

clivewaterhousen

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 16, 2009
p-city
AFL Club
Fremantle
yeah dont think they can.

facebook is good to keep in contact with people that you like but dont see often due to location/time constraints.

if facebook was deleted id probs just use my phone more

deeman12

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2006
home
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
demons
I've also been concerned with how much I use it. Don't really post status updates, but my ability to stalk has increased a million-fold which isn't something I'm particularly pleased about.

Still it's handy to keep some form of contact with mates.

centrelink1

Premiership Player
Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
In my kingdom above
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Wigan Athletic
Get the photo zoom plug-in for facebook. Available on firefox and chrome. Means you only need to hit the album to see the pic, just scroll over them. Makes the stalking much less noticeable.

Invigoration

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 19, 2005
Balls deep
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Jordy Russell's kickouts
Disguise stalking? As if, bishes should feel proud* I'm masturbating to their promiscuous photos, it's what they put 'em up for after all.

*honoured

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
Reported for alias.
It's not an alias..........it's a pseudonym.

This is an alias...

alias2.jpg

lovely

Senior List
Suspended
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
FB tracks what you're doing and how often, but doesn't disclose it.

OK, so this is probably going to sound really stupid and i apologise in advance, but if how does them tracking it make a difference to anything if its not disclosed? I mean people can't tell who's been looking at their walls and whatnots if its not disclosed right...?

if facebook was deleted id probs just use my phone more
Facebook has actually like halved my phone bills! I officially love the PM function:heart:

Don't really post status updates, but my ability to stalk has increased a million-fold which isn't something I'm particularly pleased about.
I'm the exact same.. it kinda creeps me out but its so gosh darn addictive!

Apr 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC - MVFC - Socceroos.
OK, so this is probably going to sound really stupid and i apologise in advance, but if how does them tracking it make a difference to anything if its not disclosed? I mean people can't tell who's been looking at their walls and whatnots if its not disclosed right...?
I just don't like it how when I'm innocently looking at photos from nights out or whatever, on the right hand column FB instincively puts up "photo memories" of people... well women, who've I've been stalking.

Its just guilt more than anything.

Wish Wellingtons

Club Legend
Nov 25, 2009
Holland
AFL Club
Geelong
I refuse to believe that there is a single image submitted to face book that doesn't exist for masturbatory needs.

Who could post a pic like this

and expect anything else?

Back