• Crows - any win would be a good win!

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Swans - we will be beaten with an honorable 4-quarter-effort loss

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Swans - ain't gonna be pretty..

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Undecided - maybe a draw?

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I'm nervous/nauseous just thinking about round 5's game!

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
2016.04.14._AFLP_blog_CROWS-v-SWANS_round-4.jpg

When? Friday, April 20 starting at 7:50pm
Where? SCG
Why? Because we need to play so footy addicts and punters can get their fix
Who? Crows team and the Swans mob
How? By kicking and handpassing, score more goals than the opposition.

Brief Intro:

What a wonderful weekend of weather we are having, and an absolute joy of a round 4 result with a blissful display of wet weather footy with us just narrowly losing by 48 points..
Swans had a pretty tight game against the Dogs and won narrowly also by 7 points..
We are currently sitting somewhere on the 8th-10th spot, and Swans are somewhere on the 4th to 6th spot. So on form, what does this really mean for the next round of footy?

Negative Nellie - it means we are not good enough, 4 rounds and in 8th spot? Making up the numbers!
Positive Pollie - it means we are still in the hunt for the Finals. Still 18 more rounds to reach top spot!
Fence Sitting Fensie - last 4 rounds mean diddly squat. Every week different ground, different temperatures, winds and humidity. 50/50 at best!

History of Crows and Swans (since 2017)

images

Let us go back on a history trip with the first 6 rounds of footy played in 2017.
The Crows were playing some of the most awesome, exceptional and inspirational footy the world has ever seen, or at least the people of Australia have ever seen. We were like mercenaries on a mercenary mission. We were like a bunch of assassins on a murder mission, a murder of crows...you get the point..
Crows: 6-0 (W:L)
The Swans on the other hand were playing some of the worst footy the world has ever seen. Granted there were some injuries to some of their key players (sorry can't remember who, please use Google). But the point remain they were a shambles, and it would be fair to say that back then, they were made to be the laughing stock of the AFL, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of their fans were whipping their players harder than us whipping the Crows whipping boys in 2018! They were crappy.
Swans: 0-6 (W:L)

Now let's fast forward to the last 6 games of 2017.
Crows played a consistent brand of high scoring footy throughout, and were the form team leading to the Finals. Played some of their best footy EVER in the Qualifying Final against GWS and Preliminary Final against the Cats. Then lost painfully at the last hurdle against a rampant Tigers outfit on that fateful Grand Final day.
Swans played a consistent brand of high scoring footy also, and along with the Crows, were the 2 most in-form teams leading towards the Finals. Few pundits thought they would make the Finals, and yet they carried a winning momentum that made them become the most feared team to play against in the Finals. Unlucky for them, they ran out of puff playing against and losing to Geelong in the Semi Final.

images

2018, the story so far:
Swans are looking alright, winning games in 3 out of their 4. Winning in Perth over the WCE and also a win against a decent team in the GWS. Their only loss thus far is to the Power, which probably more reflects the improvement in the Power when looking at the ladder standing.
Crows are looking...a bit hard to predict! 2 decent wins against the Tigers and Saints. 1 "honorable loss" against the Dons at Etihad. And 1 "WTF" game against the Pies (let us forget). Our form guide could be best summed up as "meh". We do have a lot of core injuries though the midfield, so certainly there is more light on the other side, if we can just get the injured players back on the field (and without niggles!)

So what lessons can we gain from these historical sequences?
- never to laugh at a team on a hot losing streak after 6 rounds, they can still make the Finals!
- never to applaud blindingly a team that has winning momentum after 6 rounds, it does not guarantee a premiership!
- that's about it, I think?

Key matchups:
images

Franklin vs Talia/Hartigan: Franklin is a star, and he usually shines when playing against us. If our key defenders can get a grip on his goal kicking activity, then we're in with a damn good chance for a win.

Our mids vs their mids: This is our weakest area of the ground. They have 3 consistent midfield bulls in Parker, Hannebery and Kennedy. We have Gibbs, Sloane (not 100% fit) and Greenwood. With the missing Crouch Bros, we need CEY and others to step up if we're going to have a fighting chance.

Tex vs Rampe: Tex is a gun player who is not 100% fit, coming back from a recent plantar fasciitis. Although kicking goals in each of the games this year, he hasn't been looking quite right with his running and endurance. Hopefully this is the round where he turns it on, if ever we need a good captain's knock, then this would probably be the one! When Tex fires I don't think we have ever lost. Come on Tex!

Summary:

images

Playing away against the Swans, never going to be easy. After round 4's insipid effort, and if we are serious about contending the Finals again, we need to show a strong 4 quarter effort. With our mounting injuries though, going to be a tough battle!

Heart says: Crows by 4 goals
Brain says: Swans by 4 goals

Kennedy 47 touches, 18 clearances
Parker 35 touches, 3 goals, 12 tackles
Hannebery 28 touches, 8 clearances
Lloyd 26 touches, 900m gained
McVeigh 24 intercept possessions
Heeney 34 touches, 10 inside 50s, 6 contested marks, 5 goals
Franklin 14 goals 7 behinds
Towers career high goals and disposals

Swans by 103

I'm glad this is being played in Sydney. If Sloane is out injured, we are literally down to Gibbs when it comes to "midfielders that are more than foot soldiers".

Heeney would/will rip us a new one with Budwah.

Need to try and expose their defence, but how we do, I'm not sure.

After a lousy effort, I don’t know what to expect. We haven’t won at the SCG since 2012, time to break that duck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This will be my first time at the SCG. Fully expecting us to get pummelled but at least the Buddy show will be entertaining.

Are there any bars where Adelaide supporters usually go to before the game in Sydney?

Kennedy 47 touches, 18 clearances
Parker 35 touches, 3 goals, 12 tackles
Hannebery 28 touches, 8 clearances
Lloyd 26 touches, 900m gained
McVeigh 24 intercept possessions
Heeney 34 touches, 10 inside 50s, 6 contested marks, 5 goals
Franklin 14 goals 7 behinds
Towers career high goals and disposals

Swans by 103
Thanks for that, I’m glad I’m going to be there to witness it.

15 August 1999, I was at the SCG when we lost by 118, Plugger kicking 8. Don’t think I have ever been so drunk at the end of a match.

With our injuries through the midfield, Tex crippled and a feeling that morale is low I think the result may be similar just the guy kicking 8 has a different name.

Swans by plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Tex can get himself right. He's kicked 9.2 this year.

He's struggling but the accuracy is refreshing.
You've raised a very interesting stat for mine. We can all see Tex isn't quite 100% fit since his return from plantar fasciitis, yet he's averaging 3 goals per game! This tells us his form overall hasn't dipped, but he's hindered by the lack of preseason training and match fitness preparation. Hopefully he's back to peak fitness soon.

15 August 1999, I was at the SCG when we lost by 118, Plugger kicking 8. Don’t think I have ever been so drunk at the end of a match.

With our injuries through the midfield, Tex crippled and a feeling that morale is low I think the result may be similar just the guy kicking 8 has a different name.

Swans by plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the margin would be as big as 100+, then I can only imagine the magnitude of mounting melts on BF. I personally do not wish for us to lose by 100+ this round, or anytime this year. It won't look pretty reading the melts!

I find it quite interesting reading your board and of course reading the Sydney board as well that neither fan base really expects to win next week as both are feeling like there are huge issues with the gameplan or with the available players.

For the Swans the issue is losing Reid as he really is the straw that broke the camels back in terms of our key position stocks. We would love to move Sinclair forward to help out Buddy (as Buddy plays a lot better with another key forward in the forward line too) but we can't do that as Sinclair is playing in the ruck and we have no other real ruckmen to replace him.

Plus guys like Kennedy and Hannebery look like shadows of their former selves, at least in 2018 (though to be fair Hannebery was terrible in 2017 as well).

I find it quite interesting reading your board and of course reading the Sydney board as well that neither fan base really expects to win next week as both are feeling like there are huge issues with the gameplan or with the available players.

For the Swans the issue is losing Reid as he really is the straw that broke the camels back in terms of our key position stocks. We would love to move Sinclair forward to help out Buddy (as Buddy plays a lot better with another key forward in the forward line too) but we can't do that as Sinclair is playing in the ruck and we have no other real ruckmen to replace him.

Plus guys like Kennedy and Hannebery look like shadows of their former selves, at least in 2018 (though to be fair Hannebery was terrible in 2017 as well).

We will play every single one of your out of form players into form

Thanks for the info regarding Reid. Interesting to hear from your end that fans from both sides are fearing the worse. Our injuries though are probably more significant with missing the Crouch Bros, 2 of our best midfielders and contested machines. We will also be missing Betts with a hamstring.
Being an away game for us, you guys have the slight upper hand. Hoping it will be a tight contest either way, for team morale if anything.

I think it is time to put Milera and Atkins up forward and make them our pressure players ... it will work as it brings ferocity to their minsdet and they both have excellent goal sense .

Gallucci comes into the middle and plays the role of chase , tackle and pressure . He can also switch with the above 2 to apply that in the forward line .

Wilson to connect with back line and use his line breaking leg . We need the hunger of youth and freshness in run and we need it sooner rather than later .

I don't know what to expect.
My heart tells me we will shock a cocky Sydney coming off a game they shouldn't have won (Bulldogs were inaccurate), us to come back hard and win by about 3-6 goals.
My head tells me it will be another s**t night at the SCG, Sydney by 40 points.

Back