Facilities announced: The Reserve at Springfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one that don't want my tax dollars to be spent on vanity, pork-barrel projects?
To be honest I'm surprised you're old enough to be paying tax.

Not sure about "pork barrelling" when
  1. It's a safe Labor seat, locally, state and federally, and
  2. equal funds are expected by State and Commonwealth governments.
But yeah, who wants to see taxes spent on infrastructure and both, men's and women's sport with a facility to serve community in a growth corridor?

To be honest I'm surprised you're old enough to be paying tax.
1bbfd9cede8d09b675db7d999815563d.jpg

For those of us not familiar with the Brisbane metropolis, are we happy with the location? This certainly sounds like a good solution to our training and AFLW problems, but 26km down a highway isn't close to the city. That's like moving to ringwood in Melbourne which would be on the awkward side of things.

For those of us not familiar with the Brisbane metropolis, are we happy with the location? This certainly sounds like a good solution to our training and AFLW problems, but 26km down a highway isn't close to the city. That's like moving to ringwood in Melbourne which would be on the awkward side of things.

It is not the optimal solution but in reality there was little suitable, alternative land available. The positives are that this is a booming population area, has a train station and we will finally have a great facility. Also, the AFLW team will have a home ground that is free from Gabba cricket interference, which is also important.

We can dig up the old thread this was spun out of that had 129 pages of yes and no on happiness? :D

The simplest answer is two parts:
  • There's not a lot of available free space in Brisbane that doesn't have one reason or another ruling it out (too small; development restrictions due to flooding; development restrictions due to landfill site).
  • Of the spaces available in the surrounding areas (Logan, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast) this was the most generous deal available.
Brisbane highways are also generally less congested than Melbourne highways (with the exception of M1 into the city).

We can dig up the old thread this was spun out of that had 129 pages of yes and no on happiness? :D

• There's not a lot of available free space in Brisbane that doesn't have one reason or another ruling it out (too small; development restrictions due to flooding; development restrictions due to landfill site).
  • Of the spaces available in the surrounding areas (Logan, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast) this was the most generous deal available.
Brisbane highways are also generally less congested than Melbourne highways (with the exception of M1 into the city).
You obviously don't frequent the western freeway.

3 bridge lanes serve all of western brisbane in either direction

I don't like the decision. But at least a decision seems to have been made.

You obviously don't frequent the western freeway.

3 bridge lanes serve all of western brisbane in either direction

Heh I used to live less than 300m from it but forgot it because I never really counted it as a highway - it used to just stop in the middle of nowhere (I gather there's a tolled tunnel extension now).

Hawthorn to Waverley. Seems to work.

Was a personalised summary too much to ask for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant to add a winky face to this.:wink: Thanks for the summary and glad that despite some drawbacks we've hopefully we've got a good a path forward.

I'm especially optimistic in two years time when we're giving tours for new players, the location is a non issue compared with the quality of the facilities (not to mention our on field success and off field culture.

Don't open that conversation again !!

Yeah but more of a mutually beneficial arrangement, rather than a financial one. Physiotherapy school of excellence type thing. They have the experts on site, and we provide access for their students to an elite sports club.

As for other partnerships, I wouldn't be surprised if the facility ends up being called the Hyundai Reserve or something like that.
Am I the only one that don't want my tax dollars to be spent on vanity, pork-barrel projects?

You mean like $200m in Townsville?

High growth area, 30m drive from CBD, cheap and plenty of land for expansion. On the downside it's fairly hard to get there if you live on the northside of Brisbane, has a bad smell around it after the Sharpless debacle and the region isn't 'trendy' it's a working class suburb. I think overall it's clearly the best option we have available and the club, community and most of all the players just want dedicated modern and up to date facilities to train out of.

Let's not forget that amongst all this talk about money and the costs of the new facility - we are stone broke. None of the money is actually ours. If we have been offered this handout we should take it with humility and run as hard as we can. With the pork and the barrel.

High growth area, 30m drive from CBD, cheap and plenty of land for expansion. On the downside it's fairly hard to get there if you live on the northside of Brisbane, has a bad smell around it after the Sharpless debacle and the region isn't 'trendy' it's a working class suburb. I think overall it's clearly the best option we have available and the club, community and most of all the players just want dedicated modern and up to date facilities to train out of.

I agree and I really don't see an issue with the distance/travel time it takes to get to new facilities. Will bring them in line with a good portion of training facilities in melbourne e.g:

Distance and time from CBD

Bombers at Essendon Fields............27mins-19.5km Route M2
Bulldogs at Whitten Oval................21mins-7.6km Route 50
Hawks at Dingley (when built).........41mins 30.9km Route M1
Saints at Moorabbin (being built).....36mins 19.1km Route 3

They'll get used to it....and I'm sure they'll appreciate the new modern facilities too.

I agree and I really don't see an issue with the distance/travel time it takes to get to new facilities. Will bring them in line with a good portion of training facilities in melbourne e.g:

They'll get used to it....and I'm sure they'll appreciate the new modern facilities too.
And with everything at the 1 place they will not have to drive from 1 place to another as they do now. Except when they train at the Gabba before games.

Brisbane to Springfield peak hour 1.5 hours.

But, whatever. They shouldn't be there at peak hour.

Say bye bye to twilight summer preseason training sessions. Unless of course they head out there after lunch for a weights session before heading out on to the oval.

I'm more concerned about academy players more than anything... I assume they train after school hours which will be peak time one would suspect. If an academy player lives northside it could take 2-3 hours just to get there.

I'm more concerned about academy players more than anything... I assume they train after school hours which will be peak time one would suspect. If an academy player lives northside it could take 2-3 hours just to get there.

Kids from the Sunny Coast won't be training anywhere in Brisbane after school :)

So they'll be using more local facilities - whether that's Aspley or Maroochydore or Bundaberg or whatever - for the routine stuff, no matter where we base. If we've got some shiny facilities available when they can make a day of it - so much the better.

Heard last night from a senior Ipswich City Council employee- note, not a politician- that the new facility will include 4 full-size ovals, that the emphasis will be on mult-useage. and that there will be multiple net-ball courts.

Money already allocated in the current Council budget- $6m plus?

Underway end current calendar year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back