FACT: Nathan Buckley was cursed forever by The Footy Gods after dogging his contract with us

Sep 14, 2014
Robe SA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
6121662D-078A-4ACD-91E0-36A759D61ED9.jpeg

How ya like dem apples?

*pls excuse the sheer excellence of my mad photoshopping skillz*

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
In so many ways didn't want this bloke as coach in 2009 - there weren't many of us in that camp at the time though.

He had next to no coaching experience and didn't exactly seem a beloved teammate during large parts of his career.

His previous disrespect of our club and our culture alone (yes our culture club if you will) should've crossed his name out.

I said many times during Brad's tenure that no matter what you made of his efforts, imagine Nathan Buckley WITHOUT the immense resources and jobs-for-the-boys networking might of Collingwood behind him.

That's what we would've got to watch play out from 2010 onwards. The horror that might've been..

Gotta_Bea_Hero

Senior List
Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just listening to SEN at the moment, and Collingwood supporters ringing in saying that Nathan Buckley has kept Wayne Carey goal less on numerous occasions. Seriously ?? I can never recall Buckley playing on Carey, let alone keeping him goal less. :think::think:

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Just listening to SEN at the moment, and Collingwood supporters ringing in saying that Nathan Buckley has kept Wayne Carey goal less on numerous occasions. Seriously ?? I can never recall Buckley playing on Carey, let alone keeping him goal less. :think::think:

If Buckley was playing CHB on Carey I shudder to think what McKernan was doing to the 2nd defender..

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits

wow, I didn't know that was the criteria for selecting a senior coach and keeping him in the role despite inheriting a premiership team and not being able to win one, not as a player or coach. My pies mates been coming at me all year about our performances, to which I've calmly replied, we have a plan, we're rebuilding, our kids are playing well and we have cap space, Collingwood on the other hand are delusional and we will win our next flag before them ( I did predict a bottom 4 position and buckley gone at season's end.... Didn't quite get the timing right).

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

yes it was a bit of a big deal at the time and Carey destroyed him and Buxks was moved after halftime from memory .Def played on each other though .

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

In the era that Buckley played for the Pies, and Carey for us (1994-2001). Carey NEVER went goalless in a game against Collingwood. Not once. No Collingwood player, let alone Buckley, kept Carey goalless for a full game in that time.

I can only remember him playing on this number 18... That caller is such a mor(o/a)n!

1623222614884.png

Apr 28, 2001
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the era that Buckley played for the Pies, and Carey for us (1994-2001). Carey NEVER went goalless in a game against Collingwood. Not once. No Collingwood player, let alone Buckley, kept Carey goalless for a full game in that time.
I was at the game they are probably talking about. 96 maybe? Definitely at the MCG.

North bolted out of the gate and kicked the first 3 or 4 goals including a couple to Carey if I remember right. Collingwood made a bunch of changes including Buckley onto Carey. Our engine room dried up and Buckley held Carey goalless for the rest of the game while the Pies ran over the top of us.

They tried Buckley on Carey again the next time we played...Carey destroyed him and Buckley had to be moved off him within a quarter. They never went down that path again.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Only twice Carey was held goalless against Collingwood - in 1990 before Buckley entered the AFL and a game he played for Adelaide in 2003.

There was a game in the late 90s where Buckley played CHB and kept Carey quiet. The next time we played them he tore Bucks a new arse.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Only twice Carey was held goalless against Collingwood - in 1990 before Buckley entered the AFL and a game he played for Adelaide in 2003.

There was a game in the late 90s where Buckley played CHB and kept Carey quiet. The next time we played them he tore Bucks a new arse.

Yep, I think that 2nd game he was moved onto Duck who then kicked 3 in 5 minutes.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Fitzroy supporters should support the Brisbane Lions now. That is their club now and they need to embrace it.
* right off. For a start, who are you to tell anybody who they should be supporting? I wouldn’t even tell my kids who to support.

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very disappointing, I’m going to miss the boils on his face and nose popping out when he is watching his team loose and the angsty post game pressers, not to mention watching him fumble through the touchy-feely wellness based speeches that were obviously scripted and coached from some PR company because he was universally considered to be an arse hole by his peers for the vast majority of his playing and coaching career.
So sad to see him go.
I’d do anything to see him look directly into the camera hand on heart and unflinchingly say “no, I never heard anyone in our club use unsavoury or racist names toward any of our players” one more time.

Back