Fact of the day: The previous 7 sides that have been more than a game clear on top of the ladder......

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints peaked too early in 09? They were resting players and couldn’t care; they were saving themselves for finals. Geelong was the same; their second half was nowhere as good as their first. But this is what I mean; the saints aren’t an example of a side that peaked too early. That Grand Final was one of the hardest tightest games ever. It’s such a weird term that doesn’t mean anything nowadays

Yeah maybe, to be honest I don't think the tigs hit top gear in 2018. The drop off in form from mid to late season was kinda marginal - it wasn't huge.
Fair enough, but against good opposition in finals, if you're off, you get knocked off.

I reckon North 2016 and Freo 2015 were pretty good examples of sides that peaked too early.

St Kilda 2009 too, they were looking cooked by the last few rounds.
St Kilda 2009? Not a chance, they beat two very good sides to make the Grand Final and lost it at the death.

Also Geelong 2011 (Premier), Collingwood 2010 (Premier), St Kilda 2009, Geelong 2008, Geelong 2007 (Premier), Adelaide 2006, West Coast 2005, St Kilda 2004, Port Adelaide 2003, Brisbane 2003 (Premier), Essendon 2001, Essendon 2000 (Premier), West Coast 1999, Carlton 1995 (Premier), West Coast 1994 (Premier), West Coast 1991. 7/23 all up since 1991.

Also Geelong 2011 (Premier), Collingwood 2010 (Premier), St Kilda 2009, Geelong 2008, Geelong 2007 (Premier), Adelaide 2006, West Coast 2005, St Kilda 2004, Port Adelaide 2003, Brisbane 2003 (Premier), Essendon 2001, Essendon 2000 (Premier), West Coast 1999, Carlton 1995 (Premier), West Coast 1994 (Premier), West Coast 1991. 7/23 all up since 1991.
Not sure what this list of team names is supposed to mean but there's been more than 23 years since 1991

Feel like they've been off broadway since their win against Collingwood. Looking forward to seeing them Friday night

Its all about hitting the finals at your peak whether you are in 1st, 2nd or whatever position when and if that occurs doesnt really matter.
Yeah, although I also think people can get a bit carried away with the narrative of "peaking." Teams play only a handful of finals, so it's easy to craft a story one way or the other based on a slim margin or a single game.

Collingwood were sublime against Richmond in the 2018 prelim, but without that game, I don't think the Tigers' results look like a late-season slide. So is it peaking at the wrong time or just running into a red-hot opponent?

Even the poster boys for peaking, the 2016 Bulldogs - one kick goes the other way in the prelim, and they'd be just another team that pulled out a good finals game or two, like 2014-2015 North Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have issues winning finals regardless of when they peak, so I’d expect the trend of regular season teams clear at the top not winning the flag to continue.

Geelong have issues winning finals regardless of when they peak, so I’d expect the trend of regular season teams clear at the top not winning the flag to continue.
Many said the same about Richmond in 2017. Good teams prove bad prediction wrong.

Geelong are now no longer more than a game ahead of the pack.
Therefore their premiership chances have increased and they are now certainties to win the flag.
You can't argue with plain logic. Cause and effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back