Fagan and Noble

Remove this Banner Ad

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope the mods don't mind having a new thread to focus on these 2 blokes and what they are currently saying and what they are currently doing.

Just love everything coming from Noble and Fagan. Especially loved Fagan's view on our facilities. He went straight to the 10kg weight is a 10kg weight position and then threw the Kenyan runners into his position. A no excuse culture- love it.

Found it interesting that Swann highlighted that our recruiting has been haphazard and Noble has a proven strategy to follow.

Really interested in their comments around the Academy. Fagan and Noble obviously don't believe our current set up is quite right. I wonder where they think this can be improved. I would argue that their are too many kids at too young an age in the academy. Personally I would prefer to see more emphasis put back into the clubs and the academy kicks in at 15. The academy becomes a more focused program. With more time put into boys in the 3 year lead up to draft. I think if that was the case we would see the likes of Keays come into the system with more muscle on his frame, maybe more attention on his sprint work and disposal.

These blokes will lead us forward, if they can't, then we might as well shut the doors!

very-excited-smiley-face-very-happy-face-xXs6fm-clipart.jpeg

I hope the mods don't mind having a new thread to focus on these 2 blokes and what they are currently saying and what they are currently doing.

Just love everything coming from Noble and Fagan. Especially loved Fagan's view on our facilities. He went straight to the 10kg weight is a 10kg weight position and then threw the Kenyan runners into his position. A no excuse culture- love it.

Found it interesting that Swann highlighted that our recruiting has been haphazard and Noble has a proven strategy to follow.

Really interested in their comments around the Academy. Fagan and Noble obviously don't believe our current set up is quite right. I wonder where they think this can be improved. I would argue that their are too many kids at too young an age in the academy. Personally I would prefer to see more emphasis put back into the clubs and the academy kicks in at 15. The academy becomes a more focused program. With more time put into boys in the 3 year lead up to draft. I think if that was the case we would see the likes of Keays come into the system with more muscle on his frame, maybe more attention on his sprint work and disposal.

These blokes will lead us forward, if they can't, then we might as well shut the doors!

Stamp out the excuse culture, what a toxic, forgettable time in our history.

The thought of noble in control of our academy is huge. You can tell he is licking his lips at the opportunity to use them.

He actually impressed me more then Fagan.

Its funny how things eventuate.
A couple of months ago as this was all just starting to unfold my thoughts and hopes were to land the 2 that we have ended up with, but in the opposite roles.
Noble as head coach and Fagan as hof.
But i am happy with the way things have unfolded. Both extremely impressive and can only be good for the club.

Did he say that? That's pretty harsh on Schwab - think he has done an excellent job with the cards he has been dealt. Sure last year's trade imports didn't set the world on fire (Basti, Walker & Bell) but their roles mean it's harder for them to standout in a poor team (especially Walker & Bell).

Last edited:
Did he say that? That's pretty harsh on Schwab - think he has done an excellent job with the cards he has been dealt. Sure last year's trade imports didn't set the world on fire (Basti, Walker & Bell) but they're roles mean it's harder for them to standout in a poor team (especially Walker & Bell).

I think he might be talking even longer term? So taking players like longer and polec.

All the best with these two blokes. It might be a 3-4 year process but I hope they can restore Brisbane to being a powerhouse of the competition. I don't know much about Fagan but I believe that Noble will steer your recruiting and player development on the right course for the long term. I'm confident that they will surround themselves with the right people to get the job done.

Noble was well regarded here in Adelaide and did quite a bit of media work that was impressive.. Some contracts handed out may have been slightly overs (Mackay etc.) but overall the drafting philosophy of the Crows has been excellent.. I'm hoping this IP can force it's way into the lions and we start hitting on players in the 2nd, 3rd rounds..

Noble seemed really interested in exploring ways to improve the academy with the AFL. This sounds promising for us long term if we can work together and start building a pipeline of talent from Queensland..

I think the idea of getting a couple wise heads in to help guide the ship could prove fruitful in the long term.. It will be a process but these 2 are here to set the foundation over the next 5-10 years..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For as long as many here can remember,
Achievements of note for this club have been sparse, embarrassment and disappointment the order of the day
Gone are those days now though
Next Winter, will be made glorious Shakespearean summer
Only good times ahead for us now.
But... maybe we have been here before.

Did he say that? That's pretty harsh on Schwab - think he has done an excellent job with the cards he has been dealt. Sure last year's trade imports didn't set the world on fire (Basti, Walker & Bell) but their roles mean it's harder for them to standout in a poor team (especially Walker & Bell).

there is a lot of reading between the lines below but...

i got the impression he was possibly referring to us taking anyone who wanted to come rather than players who filled particular positional holes for us.

We are now in a position where we have a recruitment plan that will guide us to targeted recruiting for positional needs (like a KPD this year).

I'm also not sure he was necessarily being negative about that recent practice given the circumstances. Just stating a fact, 'we've got players in who would come here. we now feel like we need to recruit in a more targeted fashion.'

So last year we recruited:
tick - Walker as a KPF to protect the kids (met need at time and would do so again).
question - Janson big bodied mid (possibly would not do - although tied into Walker deal and effectively cost us nothing)
question - Bastinac experienced midfielder to replace Redden (possibly would not do and instead take pick 17 to the draft)
question - Bell big bodied forward/mid Queenslander who 'wanted to come home' (possibly would not do and instead take pick 21 to the draft)

(Noting that with the points system for picks and picks involved in each trade the Bastinac and Bell deals look a lot better than those players for picks 17 and 21)

Love Fagan getting talking about building a team defence, very interesting to hear that he watched behind the goals footage and saw that the players had no idea what they were suppose to do when the ball wasn't in their area. We have all been screaming that we have no idea how to set up behind the ball defensively, really points to the spud coaching we have been exposed to.

I wonder how long some of our current assistants will last, it will be interesting to see if Noble makes any phone calls to the AFL requesting assistance to pay any of them out. Really can't see how our currently contracted blokes can last. These blokes will be speaking a different language.

Is it just me ????..........referencing the Media reaction to date, that there seems to be a lot more "Honey" in the "Honeymoon Period" with Fagan, than there was for Leppitsch.

I could be wrong, have a poor memory (highly likely) or just want it to be so.

Or, if so, it could reflect how each was perceived, as a "bloke", prior to being appointed.

Seems similar for Noble, albeit that there is no comparable appointment for his role to evaluate, but the Media "love" seems to be there in spades.
Again, could have a lot to do with him as a person/professional.

The ball watching and not setting up defensively when not involved in the play has been going on for years. We fix that and we become a lot more competitive, bring some forward pressure in and mids running both ways, things will improve quickly.

I just want to say everything he has said says Paps has a big role to play, he is clearly our best defensive runner IMO.

Is it just me ????..........referencing the Media reaction to date, that there seems to be a lot more "Honey" in the "Honeymoon Period" with Fagan, than there was for Leppitsch.

Or, if so, it could reflect how each was perceived, as a "bloke", prior to being appointed.

Seems similar for Noble, albeit that there is no comparable appointment for his role to evaluate, but the Media "love" seems to be there in spades.

No, I think you're right. I remember my own dread (probably overstating that in hindsight) about going down the favourite son route again, mitigated by the fact that at least this one was considered head coach material by other clubs, having been on their shortlists without making the final dance. Fagan doesn't have that caveat.

I think it's largely due to the fact that both have existing relationships with the media down in Melbourne. The know and Like these guys personally, therefore theyre getting a lot more support. There's a certain level of back patting going on that the traditional footy states have sent people up to fix us I think

i liked the part in the sports today interview when Fagan was questioned about our apparent lack of skill, he said something along the lines of-

it is probably more poor decision making than lack of skill, it's surprising our good your skills look when you make the right decisions. he said that is what the hawks do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back