Analysis Fagan Follows KT Down the China Rabbit Hole … quite by accident

Remove this Banner Ad

This week's Media Watch. Watch it and/or read the full transcript at
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4476824.htm
Fairfax prints Chinese propaganda
Times are tough, especially for newspapers and we can only assume that’s why Fairfax Media has recently agreed to take money from the Chinese for spreading their propaganda. It also reflects, of course, how hard it is to make money in the media nowadays. Times are tough, especially for newspapers and we can only assume that’s why Fairfax Media has recently agreed to take money from the Chinese for spreading their propaganda.

Ten days ago readers of The Age, Sydney Morning Herald and Financial Review received this lift-out in their print editions.
CHINA WATCH
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
Trade deal’s benefits are already flowing
— Fairfax Liftout – China Watch, 27 May, 2016

Which came with the tell-tale admission that it was:
... prepared by China Daily, People’s Republic of China ...

And that its production:
... did not involve the news or editorial departments ...

This week's Media Watch. Watch it and/or read the full transcript at
Fairfax prints Chinese propaganda
Times are tough, especially for newspapers and we can only assume that’s why Fairfax Media has recently agreed to take money from the Chinese for spreading their propaganda. It also reflects, of course, how hard it is to make money in the media nowadays. Times are tough, especially for newspapers and we can only assume that’s why Fairfax Media has recently agreed to take money from the Chinese for spreading their propaganda.

Ten days ago readers of The Age, Sydney Morning Herald and Financial Review received this lift-out in their print editions.
CHINA WATCH
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
Trade deal’s benefits are already flowing

Which came with the tell-tale admission that it was:
... prepared by China Daily, People’s Republic of China ...

And that its production:
... did not involve the news or editorial departments ...
Haha, but Fagan said he would leave China to Port.

Haha, but Fagan said he would leave China to Port.
...then headed off to starboard instead and got completely lost.

I suspect KT will be on fiveAA this afternoon, too. Have tried to fix it for Andrew Hunter to come on and do battle with our favourite bete noire (Andrew speaks French) so we'll see, and hear, what eventuates.

...then headed off to starboard instead and got completely lost.

I suspect KT will be on fiveAA this afternoon, too. Have tried to fix it for Andrew Hunter to come on and do battle with our favourite bete noire (Andrew speaks French) so we'll see, and hear, what eventuates.
AH might as well speak French to those to muppets on AA I doubt they would understand anything he says in basic English.

Looks like the SACA are also chasing us down there ;)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-...-grow-the-game-of-cricket-in-shandong/7541612

SACA today announced it had signed a five-year agreement with the Shandong Cricket Association to help grow the game within the world's most populous country.

SACA policy manager Ben Page said it was the first partnership of its kind in Australia.

SACA policy manager Ben Page said it was the first partnership of its kind in Australia.

Last edited:
Fairfax makes manifest its Crows sponsorship with this Pulitzer Prize winner from Ashley Porter:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...nd-final-fever-to-london-20160906-gra3cj.html

Adelaide Crows to spread grand final fever to London

First it was Port Adelaide seeking to create new markets in China, now the Adelaide Football Club has entered new partnerships that will promote the game in Britain and Europe.

It will begin with the South Australia Club AFL grand final lunch in the prestigious Exhibition Hall of Australia House in London on Saturday, October 1 – much in the vein of the North Melbourne grand final breakfast.

The two organisations will join forces for a series of other significant activities ... welcomed by Bill Muirhead, the Agent General for South Australia in London.
"Since we formed it in 2011, the South Australia Club has quickly become the pre-eminent business networking forum for Australians in London," Muirhead said. "It makes sense for us now to partner with the Crows to build the state brand together and enhance the position of the Adelaide Football Club in a region with enormous commercial potential. "This is the second year that we've teamed up with AFL Europe to host London's largest AFL grand final event coinciding with the biggest day on the Australian sporting calendar...."

AFC chief operating officer Nigel Smart said the club was excited about the opportunities the partnership would bring.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...nd-final-fever-to-london-20160906-gra3cj.html

I recall writing somewhere some time ago about Nigel being sent down the China Rabbit Hole and ending up in North Korea; seems he missed that turn and has surfaced in London.

Link
"Ratings figures from the Power’s full-game telecasts to China reveal almost two million people are watching Port Adelaide’s weekly 30-minute show on CCTV. And the April 8 clash with Essendon drew the same audience while the April 23 match against Geelong broke all expectation with more than 3.5 million viewers."

How many million Londoners is Notso expecting to be at the AFL Grand Final lunch and how many of those won't be Aussie expats?

So yeah, I can see why Notso is so excited :rolleyes:

So let's get this straight. At this time of the year London is 9 hours behind Melbourne. A luncheon at midday in London on GF day will be 9pm and the game would have been run and won. Most Aussies I know would've been at the Walkie or the Slug at Fulham at 4.30 am and in no state to attend Australia House.....which by the by is lovely if you ever get the chance.

Fairfax makes manifest its Crows sponsorship with this Pulitzer Prize winner from Ashley Porter:

Adelaide Crows to spread grand final fever to London

First it was Port Adelaide seeking to create new markets in China, now the Adelaide Football Club has entered new partnerships that will promote the game in Britain and Europe.

It will begin with the South Australia Club AFL grand final lunch in the prestigious Exhibition Hall of Australia House in London on Saturday, October 1 – much in the vein of the North Melbourne grand final breakfast.

The two organisations will join forces for a series of other significant activities ... welcomed by Bill Muirhead, the Agent General for South Australia in London.
"Since we formed it in 2011, the South Australia Club has quickly become the pre-eminent business networking forum for Australians in London," Muirhead said. "It makes sense for us now to partner with the Crows to build the state brand together and enhance the position of the Adelaide Football Club in a region with enormous commercial potential. "This is the second year that we've teamed up with AFL Europe to host London's largest AFL grand final event coinciding with the biggest day on the Australian sporting calendar...."

AFC chief operating officer Nigel Smart said the club was excited about the opportunities the partnership would bring.

I recall writing somewhere some time ago about Nigel being sent down the China Rabbit Hole and ending up in North Korea; seems he missed that turn and has surfaced in London.

This is great. As someone who spent a few years in the UK it was almost impossible to watch an Aussie Rules match there. And by impossible I mean you had to walk into any of the 40 million Australian pubs (including the incredibly popular Walkabout chain I worked for briefly) and it'd be on, and if you couldnt make the game you could call them and they'd tape it for ya and play it if you went in during a quiet time. As you can see it was an absolute nightmare. Although I am disappointed to see the Crows try and move in so quickly after we actually sent our team over to play an exhibition game. Given these time frames, we should need to watch out for them to try and take over turf in China in about 2056.

Im really not sure what they hope to achieve or gain by this.

Providing comfort and assurance to the SA WASPs that their team is doing something in a country that isn't full of Asians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously what are the opportunities over there? They have their own sports they are immersed in, literally millions of Australians have resided there over the years, they have been exposed to the game, they don't dig it. I see zero sponsorship opportunities, zero chance of growing the game in any meaningful way and zero chance of the locals taking it up. Getting on the piss at some swanky soiree with some slimely twat expats that work in the City and some knobs on a wine junket a couple times a year will add zero value.

Seriously what are the opportunities over there? They have their own sports they are immersed in, literally millions of Australians have resided there over the years, they have been exposed to the game, they don't dig it. I see zero sponsorship opportunities, zero chance of growing the game in any meaningful way and zero chance of the locals taking it up. Getting on the piss at some swanky soiree with some slimely twat expats that work in the City and some knobs on a wine junket a couple times a year will add zero value.
And zero chance of games for Premiership points given the time difference. They are merely appeasing the Beryls that they aren't going the Chinese way, that's all.

Its all networking business opportunities. The SA government want to network with expats, who knows which ex croweater is doing what great work in the UK or Europe and regularly is in London and might be able to bring some business opportunity back to South Oz. Who knows that individual or someone else who goes, be they an Aussie or a Pommie mate, they might end up putting some $$$ into the crows or they just help grow these events which might bring someone else down the track who ends up bringing $$$ to the club.

They are looking for their Lockhart Road to help make a beach head in the Uk and London, especially if the Brexit means the Brits need to find new markets and opportunities. It's highly unlikely to lead to what we have set up with Mr Gui and all the legs and tentacles that will have, but who really knows.

Having lived overseas for a year when it was tough to find Aussie Rules info or games anywhere, and a mate from my old footy club ended up helping to set up the Ontario Football league a few months after I left Toronto, and to this day is still the longest continuous league in the northern hemisphere, I am happy to give a nod to anyone who promotes the game overseas.

It will begin with the South Australia Club AFL grand final lunch in the prestigious Exhibition Hall of Australia House in London on Saturday, October 1
mmmm now let's join some dots. Who is the Australian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom............?
whose official residence the breakfast will be held in.
Getting on the piss at some swanky soiree with some slimely twat expats that work in the City and some knobs on a wine junket a couple times a year will add zero value.
Yep but the best bit and true to form the crows get someone else to pay for it....only this time it's not the sanfl.
who knows which ex croweater is doing what great work in the UK or Europe and regularly is in London and might be able to bring some business opportunity back to South Oz. Who knows that individual
The dots are starting to resemble something a bit icky i.e. distastefully sentimental.
I can see why Notso is so excited :rolleyes:
Not half as excited as this guy
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2009/11/19/1225799/766748-alexander-downer.jpg
picture complete only it's not icky it's yuck.

So let's get this straight. At this time of the year London is 9 hours behind Melbourne. A luncheon at midday in London on GF day will be 9pm and the game would have been run and won. Most Aussies I know would've been at the Walkie or the Slug at Fulham at 4.30 am and in no state to attend Australia House.....which by the by is lovely if you ever get the chance.

Loved the Slug!

Having lived in London for many years it is very hard to get the locals excited about something that starts at 4am, not the greatest idea by Smart.

I've just cancelled my subscription to The Age.

Received an urgent 'Please don't go' and an offer of 50% discount for six months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back