Coach Fages and the coaching group

Thanks for your service Tapping. Much loved by all reports.

Excited by the idea of some fresh blood with fresh ideas coming in though. Can’t stand still.
Yeah, some new ideas to challenge existing ways of thinking would be great. That's why I'd prefer someone from outside our system - so no Hodge or promotion of the development coaches. Preferably someone from a club that does something well that we don't (eg team defence).

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, some new ideas to challenge existing ways of thinking would be great. That's why I'd prefer someone from outside our system - so no Hodge or promotion of the development coaches. Preferably someone from a club that does something well that we don't (eg team defence).
poaching time be nice for us for a change

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Leppa & Bolton joining the Pies and Schofield (he's a quality operator) & Knights join the eagles, the assistant coach merry-go-round is ramping up!!!
Not a bad haul by Pies and WCE.

Hopefully we can get some highly credentialed assistant. I thought someone said on here a while back that Bolton may have joined the Lions so thought he'd be a good get. Shame, hopefully we don't get the last person standing.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wow.

Caro Wilson just said on footy classified that Carlton approached Fages a few weeks ago about immediately coming to them as senior coach next year and Fages quickly said no.

The nerve of Carlton. Just a train wreck of a club.

The type of mercenary character to accept such an offer is the exact type of mercenary character that will fail to build the necessary relationships and player buy-in to become a successful team. That's what is wrong with Carlton. They want a savior but they feel these types of characters can just be bought.

But don’t they realise Fages hasn’t got a plan B.😜

They're not worried. Carlton put the C into Plan C, but usually miss that and end up with an F.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wow.

Caro Wilson just said on footy classified that Carlton approached Fages a few weeks ago about immediately coming to them as senior coach next year and Fages quickly said no.

The nerve of Carlton. Just a train wreck of a club.
I'd be interested in the authenticity of this. It's possible that someone connected to the club went off on their own fishing expedition as people with inflated opinions of their own position and influence occasionally do, but if it was a decision of the Board or any sub committee 'a few weeks ago' as our season was unfolding I think that would be a new Mr. Magoo moment even for Carlton.

I'd be interested in the authenticity of this. It's possible that someone connected to the club went off on their own fishing expedition as people with inflated opinions of their own position and influence occasionally do, but if it was a decision of the Board or any sub committee 'a few weeks ago' as our season was unfolding I think that would be a new Mr. Magoo moment even for Carlton.

Entirely plausible given some of the stuff we’ve heard over the past month or so. Gotta sort out their board.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When Carlton was a powerhouse through the '70's and into the '90's it attracted a lot of business types who latched on to the glamour and its proximity to the city . That coupled with the ex players who had had onfield success and thought that entitled them to be administrators and footy experts was a toxic mix. Then there was Elliot who said he should be PM and to put it mildly was just a crook who got lucky once and you have the mess that they've never disentangled from.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know how to do it but inside this link is a video of Caro saying it. David Parkin approached Fages -https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/carlton-audacious-chris-fagan-approach-revealed-david-parkin-greg-williams-coach-search/5d3f8e9d-9b84-4929-b58a-e09ac1cedef8

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know how to do it but inside this link is a video of Caro saying it. David Parkin approached Fages -https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/carlton-audacious-chris-fagan-approach-revealed-david-parkin-greg-williams-coach-search/5d3f8e9d-9b84-4929-b58a-e09ac1cedef8
David Parkin is no lemon but he's nearly 80 now. Greg Williams in an Executive position is ripping another new one.

Seems like Carlton have a lot of different people from footy and business backgrounds who want to run the show. What Sayers said in that clip sounded condescending and arrogant . For no reason.

Their problem of recent decades is that they've demanded immediate on field success every year and thought that because they were Carlton you just get a new coach and it'll all happen. What a complete mess.

David Parkin is no lemon but he's nearly 80 now. Greg Williams in an Executive position is ripping another new one.

Seems like Carlton have a lot of different people from footy and business backgrounds who want to run the show. What Sayers said in that clip sounded condescending and arrogant . For no reason.

Their problem of recent decades is that they've demanded immediate on field success every year and thought that because they were Carlton you just get a new coach and it'll all happen. What a complete mess.
Parkin and Williams are part of the Coach Recruitment subcommittee given the task to lead the process to hire their new coach. So it was not a lone operative approaching Fages. Appears to be legitimately targeted.
Fages' quick No says a lot about the man.
Neale take note.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Parkin and Williams are part of the Coach Recruitment subcommittee given the task to lead the process to hire their new coach. So it was not a lone operative approaching Fages. Appears to be legitimately targeted.
Fages' quick No says a lot about the man.
Neale take note.
Who knows how many targets they have though. Clarkson and Lyons walked away. Probably Beveridge and Goodwin are next on the list.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Who knows how many targets they have though. Clarkson and Lyons walked away. Probably Beveridge and Goodwin are next on the list.
Then you've got Roosy who gets wheeled out this time every year. They might have a crack at Wayne Bennett as well. Just to look as if they've had a think about it and are prepared to think outside the square.

Some maybe setup by media for a laugh too. Brad and Chris Scott have been headlining for a week now, one may take AFL role and other will stay in Geelong. Bam, 2 more targets missed as far as media is concerned.

Back