Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Fages on the Roar Deal today >

1- Starcevich will be tried in the midfield it's just a matter of when we pull that trigger, said he's a bull of a player and his tank is good enough to play in there, mentioned Answerth not being available has been a stumbling block.

2- We would be very much interested in Jarrod Cameron.

3- Wont be looking for a mature forward to replace Hippy for the year, mentioned Rayner being back and maybe even Jack Payne.

4-He wants to speed up our backline, not only for run offensively but for scrambling in defence, we are moving in that direction, mentioned Kiddy, Adams, Answerth and James Madden for their speed.

5- Slightly favours the Demons to win the GF, although timing of a week off for Dogs is great + the Dees only having 1 game in a month.
Was there any news on who he’s looking at to replace Tapping?

Was there any news on who he’s looking at to replace Tapping?
No news on a name but he did say they would want an experienced coach to take that midfield coach role considering where we are as a list and our opportunity is now, he's going away on a QLD holiday soon and said he wants it sorted before then so expect an announcement this week or next.

1- Starcevich will be tried in the midfield it's just a matter of when we pull that trigger, said he's a bull of a player and his tank is good enough to play in there, mentioned Answerth not being available has been a stumbling block.

3- Wont be looking for a mature forward to replace Hippy for the year, mentioned Rayner being back and maybe even Jack Payne.

4-He wants to speed up our backline, not only for run offensively but for scrambling in defence, we are moving in that direction, mentioned Kiddy, Adams, Answerth and James Madden for their speed.

5- Slightly favours the Demons to win the GF, although timing of a week off for Dogs is great + the Dees only having 1 game in a month.

Any mention of developing a plan B? :think:

Wow.

Caro Wilson just said on footy classified that Carlton approached Fages a few weeks ago about immediately coming to them as senior coach next year and Fages quickly said no.

The nerve of Carlton. Just a train wreck of a club.

The nerve of those Prix! Why would ANYONE of sound mind want to be carlton's head coach?! Talk about a dead end job! Besides, Fages has unfinished business with us, who are not an utter rabble.

Fages re his coaching tenure > said on the Roar Deal yesterday that he would never be a head coach of another club, also said as soon as he thinks his message is not getting through to the boys it would be time to go, said he has always thought that 5-10 years is about the time limit for a head coach at 1 club.

Just to add onto this the way he talked about Answerth makes me think that if he’s fit and healthy come round 1 he has first crack at the Birchall spot.

Will be interesting if we're courageous enough to give Starce a whole pre-season with the midfield group or send him back to the reserves for a month or so to learn his midfield craft.

Also who moves out from the midfield. Zorko will spend less time there and Robinson will hopefully be passed next year but we've also got Berry coming back, Bailey and Rayner needing more midfield time and Dev will hopefully take a big step next season. Plus the new kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of potential first round prospects, Darcy Wilmot fits that profile of offensive running and offering genuine defence.

Sinn and Wanganeen-Milera are very much offensive players.

Goater has played halfback before, but I don’t know what he’s like as a defensive player. As a midfielder, he certainly has to work on his defensive running.

My point was Answerth plays different to Birchall he’s more the shutdown defender like Starz
Where Coleman plays a lot like Birchall as that kicking defender but Coleman also adds run
I didn’t necessarily mean Birchall’s role, just his spot in the team. If I were to guess Starc will take a more offensive role next season to see what he can do before moving into the midfield the season after.

All of these points are quite exciting. Well, perhaps point 5 not so much for us.

1 - lots of debate about whether Starce will get enough possessions. It is an unknown. But we would be negligent not to try. He's a gun in the backline but he also looms as one of our best players, and you would much rather have your best players in the midfield. Also addresses speed and size issue in there for us. Let's hope Answerth gets fit

2 - interesting one to watch but you'd expect us to be interested given the talent.

3 - Given list spots this makes sense. I do wonder if we can someone fit in a cheap back-up ruck. Only to use if Oscar goes down. But i do think we should be developing our own too

4 - music to my ears. The run is one thing and gives us a good plan B (go team plan B haha) out of defence because just kicking it out gets predictable. But it will make us such a harder defence to score against. Maddens closing speed was so good against the cats. The dogs really hurt us on the ground. Another pacey defender in that match genuinely could have been the difference. If we end up with Rich, Coleman, Madden, Answerth along with 3 keys, that is a lot more pace and pressure in the back 7.

Regarding Fagan mentioning Starch possible move to midfield
Not sure how the move would benefit the overall structure from 2021

We lose Birchall, Payne likely moves forward and Kiddy is only new to our defense although played well
Unless the coaches have thought they are not getting a full seasons benefit with J. Berry in the midfield

If Starch moves to midfield his replacement could come from: Answerth (last game round 17 of 2020), Madden, maybe Ah Chee, then some unexperienced youth. Other possibilities but with a position change could be Prior (16 games) who played wing as did Sharp in his 2 games

Who does Starch replace in midfield excluding the obvious players.
Can only come from J Berry, Prior or fringe guys in 2021 being D Robertson & Matho in the middle
They may want to groom a defensive wing replacement for Robbo.
Prior has been the wing bench relief for most of the season except he was dropped for the Semi final in favor of Deven Robertson
Robbo could become that wing bench relief. So about 68% TOG instead of his average of 78% TOG the last 2 years.
Don't see McCluggage moving from his wing position with occasional stints in the center

Shortened version.
Are we better off with say Madden/Ah Chee (inexperienced player/experienced) in team over J Berry/Robbo/Prior
Madden/Ah Chee for Starch
Starch for J Berry/Robbo/Prior

All of these points are quite exciting. Well, perhaps point 5 not so much for us.

1 - lots of debate about whether Starce will get enough possessions. It is an unknown. But we would be negligent not to try. He's a gun in the backline but he also looms as one of our best players, and you would much rather have your best players in the midfield. Also addresses speed and size issue in there for us. Let's hope Answerth gets fit

2 - interesting one to watch but you'd expect us to be interested given the talent.

3 - Given list spots this makes sense. I do wonder if we can someone fit in a cheap back-up ruck. Only to use if Oscar goes down. But i do think we should be developing our own too

4 - music to my ears. The run is one thing and gives us a good plan B (go team plan B haha) out of defence because just kicking it out gets predictable. But it will make us such a harder defence to score against. Maddens closing speed was so good against the cats. The dogs really hurt us on the ground. Another pacey defender in that match genuinely could have been the difference. If we end up with Rich, Coleman, Madden, Answerth along with 3 keys, that is a lot more pace and pressure in the back 7.
Regarding Fagan mentioning Starch possible move to midfield
Not sure how the move would benefit the overall structure from 2021

We lose Birchall, Payne likely moves forward and Kiddy is only new to our defense although played well
Unless the coaches have thought they are not getting a full seasons benefit with J. Berry in the midfield

If Starch moves to midfield his replacement could come from: Answerth (last game round 17 of 2020), Madden, maybe Ah Chee, then some unexperienced youth. Other possibilities but with a position change could be Prior (16 games) who played wing as did Sharp in his 2 games

Who does Starch replace in midfield excluding the obvious players.
Can only come from J Berry, Prior or fringe guys in 2021 being D Robertson & Matho in the middle
They may want to groom a defensive wing replacement for Robbo.
Prior has been the wing bench relief for most of the season except he was dropped for the Semi final in favor of Deven Robertson
Robbo could become that wing bench relief. So about 68% TOG instead of his average of 78% TOG the last 2 years.
Don't see McCluggage moving from his wing position with occasional stints in the center

Shortened version.
Are we better off with say Madden/Ah Chee (inexperienced player/experienced) in team over J Berry/Robbo/Prior
Madden/Ah Chee for Starch
Starch for J Berry/Robbo/Prior
With Birch(retired), Starcevich(midfield?) and maybe Payne(plays forward?) out of the back 7 I see our backline looking like this if everyone is fit >

Darcy Gardiner, Marcus Adams, Daniel Rich.
Keidean Coleman, Harris Andrews, Jaxon Prior.

Bench, 1 of- Noah Answerth, James Madden, Ryan Lester.

With Birch(retired), Starcevich(midfield?) and maybe Payne(plays forward?) out of the back 7 I see our backline looking like this if everyone is fit >

Darcy Gardiner, Marcus Adams, Daniel Rich.
Keidean Coleman, Harris Andrews, Jaxon Prior.

Bench, 1 of- Noah Answerth, James Madden, Ryan Lester.
Assuming Coleman holds his late form of 2021 & that's not a given i only see one of Prior/Answerth/Madden
So Lester bench relief if fine as we don't want to lose too much experience from defense in one year
We (and i) all keep mentioning Answerth as apparently did Fagan.
But he has not played since 13th Sep 2020. Can't even remember if he has had a run in the twos in that time

My preference is to keep Starch in defense where he has been mentioned by a few as AA candidate in 2021
Same as i don't want a previous AA player in Andrews going forward
That's 3 possible AA defenders in the one side in 2022 should Andrews regain top form

In terms of potential first round prospects, Darcy Wilmot fits that profile of offensive running and offering genuine defence.

Sinn and Wanganeen-Milera are very much offensive players.

Goater has played halfback before, but I don’t know what he’s like as a defensive player. As a midfielder, he certainly has to work on his defensive running.
This is why I lean more towards Wilmot than the others.

I don't think we should be too hung up on Payne being a full time forward in the future. First and foremost he's a key defender and has the potential to be a very good one, albeit he only played a half against the Dogs but nothing in that game showed me he has the ability to be a genuine forward option other than bringing the ball to ground which I've said before isn't setting the bar very high, I think he has a much higher ceiling as a defender and very occasionally used as a pinch-hitting forward when needed. Along with this there are a couple kids in the draft around our picks that have a much higher potential as swing-men that can play key position at either end. Another thing Fages talked about in his interview is that a settled team is one of the big contributing factors in winning and he believes we're very close to going the whole way so I'm not expecting too many big changes next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back