Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Fagan was good being the father figure type role when we were absolutely shite and did turn things around. The problem is, how does a person who’s never played league footy, ask those that have, to give that bit extra every week?

There is an assistant coach at Melbourne who might be interested. I would love to see him working with Fages.

Wherever he's been, that team has been successful. I have huge respect for him and love his passion for the sport.

His name is Mark "Choco" Williams..

Fagan was good being the father figure type role when we were absolutely shite and did turn things around. The problem is, how does a person who’s never played league footy, ask those that have, to give that bit extra every week?

I think that's the point of on field leadership - they perform at a level above, whether that's exhaustive effort, smart tactical stuff or sublime skill. And the other players try to replicate whichever leader matches their ability.

The energy on field is player responsibility.

I think that's the point of on field leadership - they perform at a level above, whether that's exhaustive effort, smart tactical stuff or sublime skill. And the other players try to replicate whichever leader matches their ability.

The energy on field is player responsibility.
How often does a Lions player come off absolutely stuffed? I never see a Lions player so exhausted he can’t give any more. That’s the commitment we need. Dangerfield was written off last week, this week he gave every last bit for his team, and guess what, 3 votes and a win.

I just saw Swanny and David Noble grabbing lunch together at the Norman hotel in Brissy.

A return to Brissy perhaps?

Can he start right now?
Bit like getting the band back together which worked for us before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How often does a Lions player come off absolutely stuffed? I never see a Lions player so exhausted he can’t give any more. That’s the commitment we need. Dangerfield was written off last week, this week he gave every last bit for his team, and guess what, 3 votes and a win.

Berry does. I've seen him busting a gut and absolutely gassed out many many times.

But he's one of our primary 2 way runners so I'm not surprised he looks stuffed at the end of the game.

Coaches, like players, have different skill sets, I see final coaches as ruthless bastards. Mentoring young players as father figures. Both styles necessary to form a grand final team. You can probably fit in somewhere between a tactical genius as well.

He has never been the father figure to those young men....that is 100% media hype. He may have played up to it when in front of the camera.

At one point it seemed like it was just our transition attack to defence when we turn it over was sluggish but it's our whole defensive game plan now. The footy media this week has showed how bad our defence the past 10 weeks has been, every team knows if they can force turn overs in their forward half then they will score heavily against us. It's not just that though, it feels like teams can have a set play and go coast to coast in <30 seconds.

Funny how despite the last 10 weeks feeling like we're a very average or even below average team, if we win 2 of the next 3 then we are on equal wins to last year. If we didn't have Covid run through our list we could would be 3rd on the ladder right now.

At one point it seemed like it was just our transition attack to defence when we turn it over was sluggish but it's our whole defensive game plan now. The footy media this week has showed how bad our defence the past 10 weeks has been, every team knows if they can force turn overs in their forward half then they will score heavily against us. It's not just that though, it feels like teams can have a set play and go coast to coast in <30 seconds.

Funny how despite the last 10 weeks feeling like we're a very average or even below average team, if we win 2 of the next 3 then we are on equal wins to last year. If we didn't have Covid run through our list we could would be 3rd on the ladder right now.

This year is definitely a missed opportunity. I don't know what to put it down to - attitude, playing style, structure, carrying sub-par players many weeks or a mix of all those things. In spite of all that, this is the highest scoring team who unfortunately can't defend well. So frustrating.

I really cannot believe how people underrate Fagen.

If you guys think Fagen has rebuilt this club by simply being a father figure than you don't have the depth of knowledge needed to understand what it takes to complete the 180 turnaround from the basket case we were to the top 8 club we are. Chris clearly has a balance of skills across a spectrum of capabilities.

Coaching fundamentals, communication, leadership, resource planning, advanced game knowledge, people management, crises management, data analysis etc etc. This is of course combined with a tonne of life and game experience.

We only see whats happening in 2D. We dont understand most of whats happening in the club, it's strategy, limitations, or players.

We are a great team with some players out of form. They are human beings not robots.... some of which lines up with Covid decimating our team.

It's fair to say we still have a couple of pieces to add to our list, plus hardly have a star studded assistant coach roster either....

Chris is an amazing coach. Come talk to me when we lose more games than we win over the course of a couple of seasons..... until then..... zip it. Chris has earned that surely.

Last edited:
This year is definitely a missed opportunity. I don't know what to put it down to - attitude, playing style, structure, carrying sub-par players many weeks or a mix of all those things. In spite of all that, this is the highest scoring team who unfortunately can't defend well. So frustrating.
It's frustrating for sure because we're not far away. But in our hearts we know we're not quite there . If everything went right for us and wrong for others we could sneak a flag. That's a bit too much to hope for . If we manage our list well and freshen up a few of the ideas that seem endemic we can still have a successful era from here.

Ok, I'm going to be annoyingly glass half full, but how much better do we need to defend by?

The presenters on Fox Footy need data shovelled to them so they can have things to talk about.

We're 18th without the ball yadda yadda yadda, put a line through us we're done.

I'll admit we shat the bed against Melbourne (horrible game, no appetite for the contest), outside of that we've lost to Freo 14pts, Geelong 10pts, Essendon (without a backline) 10pts, Richmond 7pts, Hawthorn 5pts.

People writing us off are pulling the trigger a bit early IMO. We're not that far off it that we can't adjust. But yeah, might need one or two of our staple players from the last three seasons being replaced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back